• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2017 (Continual Updates)

I can't think of a single free agent (outside of Kirk) I'd be super worried about losing.

Depends what super worried means, but I am worried about losing the only true talent we have on the DL, Chris Baker, and the overall best WR we had last year, Pierre Garcon.

I'd like to keep Garçon but he's not irreplaceable. How worried I'd be about Baker depends on what we do on DL in FA and the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see Compton goin to the Rams.
Seems like he and Joe Barry have a beautiful Joemance between them.
Not only because Joe would be his position coach, but the kind of things Will said, after Joe was fired :

Will Compton ‏@_willcompton Jan 5
Best wishes to Coach Joe B
Hell of a person. Would strap it up for him any day of the week

Last edited:
So, going by BB's list from page one, here are the priority players we need to retain, in the order of most important, to least.
Salary was not considered here. I know it's of great importance. But I'm just considering what I see as best for the team.

From the UFA's

1. Garcon - Whether we sign Kirk, or not.....Colt, Nate, or whomever, needs WR's that know the system well. Kirk would miss him. And obviously, so would whomever.
2. Chris Baker - Doubt the entire DL can be changed in one offseason. Should keep our current best, and hope he winds up being 2nd or 3rd best, after acquisitions.
3. Kirk Cousins - This appears the best option at QB. At least for next season. (I'm on record saying we can win with Colt. Provided the only big change is an improved defense)
4. Nick Sundberg - If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
5. Desean Jackson - Again, whoever the QB is, he'll have a better chance of success with DJax on the field.
6. Vernon Davis - Reed's frailty makes keeping Davis pretty damn important. At least for another season, while we groom another.
7. Ziggy Hood, Duke Ihenacho, and John Sullivan would all be nice to have around, as backups.
8. Junior Galette - I'd keep him around long enough to see him in preseason.
The rest.....Thank you, and goodbye.

Of the RFA's

1. Chris Thompson - Put the highest tender on him, and hope we keep him.
1a. Ty Nsehke - Having an imbecile LT like Pothead Williams one toke away from Siberia, Ty is a must have. So is drafting one.
2. Will Compton - Love the guy's heart and smarts. But unless the new DC wants him.....Thank you, and goodbye.

Good for him, good for us. He is a career backup in my mind. Not athletic enough to be a starter.

I was all for this guy because I saw him work harder and play smarter, but he is simply 2 steps too slow to make it in today's NFL. He would have been on helluva good MLB in the 80's.

What is it with the Redskins fascination with slow white defenders?

Adam Archuleta
Reed Doughty
Will Compton

Love Compton's motor and attitude, but ultimately he's just too slow ...

Adam Archuleta
Reed Doughty
Will Compton

IMG_2717.GIF

Vince Wilfork, be careful. Making this type of statement, is exactly the kind of thing that would get the Redskins comin after you.

Vince Wilfork: 'I think I've played my last NFL game'

Last edited:
Good for him, good for us. He is a career backup in my mind. Not athletic enough to be a starter.

Adam Archuleta
Reed Doughty
Will Compton

You think we should have held onto Keenan ?

Last edited:

Adam Archuleta
Reed Doughty
Will Compton

you missed Interstate 55

Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2017 (Continual Updates)​

Greetings to everyone in BGO land. The playoffs continue and while the Redskins are not participants, there is still plenty of news surrounding the team this offseason. Today we take a look at news, speculation, rumors, and various items of interest.

As always, feel free to post any news, your personal thoughts, rumors, speculation, etc.

Let’s take a look at the latest.

Personal Thoughts - 2017 NFL Offseason:
Scot McCloughan has likely come to the conclusion that he must invest heavily on defense during the upcoming free agency period.

It goes against his philosophy, but with massive amounts of money to spend this becomes a no brainer. Look for defensive line to be a huge priority.

DeSean Jackson is as good as gone. Look for him to be in a Rams uniform next fall.

Look for WR Kenny Britt to be wearing Burgundy and Gold this fall. There is mutual interest on both sides.

I don’t believe the “reports” of Rob Ryan being a candidate for defensive coordinator for the Redskins. If it did happen, the fan revolt would probably be massive.

If, and it is a big “if”, Ryan receives serious consideration, BBQ believes this could signal a huge divide between Scot McCloughan and Jay Gruden.

It is almost certain that McCloughan doesn’t want Ryan and Gruden is probably still upset at losing Joe Barry. This could be the focal point of a huge power struggle. Or it could be no big deal, but don’t bet on it.

This also could be a red herring of sorts – making the actual choice look palatable to fans.

The Redskins were well represented at the first day of practice today for Saturday’s shrine game.

It’s looking a bit more likely that Pierre Garcon will stay with the Redskins. BBQ puts the current odds at 60-40.

Sean McVay has said very flattering things about Kirk Cousins the last couple of days. It makes you wonder and Kyle Shanahan is likely to be the new Forty-Niners head coach. It could get interesting.

In fact, look for the Forty-Niners to make a strong play for Kirk.

The NT/DT class entering the draft is weak this year overall. Maybe there is a gem to be found, but will the Redskins recognize this and be active in free agency for a need big ugly or two?

Prospects Contacted, Interviewed, Visited:
The Redskins have interviewed/met with the following players at the East-West Shrine game practices:
Billy Brown, WR, Shepherd
Avery Moss, DE, Youngstown St.
Erik Austell, OT, Charleston Southern
De’Veon Smith, RB, Michigan
Tony Stevens, WR, Auburn
Channing Stribling, CB, Michigan

Personal Thoughts - 2017 NFL Offseason:
Here are the seven current candidates for defensive coordinator and where BBQ believes they rank in preference (Jay Gruden’s).
1. Gus Bradley
2. Greg Manusky
3. Mike Pettine
4. Jason Tarver
5. John Pagano
6. Raheem Morris
7. Dennis Thurman
8. Rob Ryan

Prospects Contacted, Interviewed, Visited:
The Redskins have interviewed/met with the following players at the East-West Shrine game practices:
Billy Brown, WR, Shepherd
Avery Moss, DE, Youngstown St.
Erik Austell, OT, Charleston Southern
De’Veon Smith, RB, Michigan
Tony Stevens, WR, Auburn
Channing Stribling, CB, Michigan
Joey Ivie, DT, Florida

Last edited:
I'm gonna miss DeSean.
It sure was nice having the luxury of knowing that at any moment, and from any place on the field, you could score 6 with just one quick strike.

Jamison Crowder can do it.

I don't think it would be wise for the head coach to get embroiled in a power struggle with the general manager.

Edited most recent post to show that the Redskins met with former Chargers DC, John Pagano, yesterday. News of that meeting came a short time ago.

Bruce Feldman‏@BruceFeldmanCFB
SOURCE: Former 49ers & Browns asst Kevin O'Connell expected to become Washington Redskins new QB coach.

Adam Schefter (appearing on local DC radio) said that the Forty-Niners will make a very strong play for Kirk Cousins this offseason. He reported that they would be willing to give up the second overall pick in this year's draft and maybe more.

BBQ's Take: It would likely take that first round choice, their third rounder, a Forty-Niners player or a third rounder or higher in 2018 to possibly make that trade happen.

If O'Connell is the QB coach, that almost certainly puts Matt Cavanaugh in the OC spot.

I believe it would take 2 first rounders to pry Cousins from the Redskins. No way we give him up for anything other than an offer we simply can't refuse. I just don't see it unless Kirk has already made up his mind he doesn't want to be here long term for some reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.