• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner’s Burning Questions: Grades, Predictions, Evals, Questions, 2020 Season

Rocky Bleier was wounded twice in combat, received 2 purple hearts and was in a hospital for 6 months wondering if he was going to be able to live an otherwise normal life. He went on to be a starting running back on the Steelers of the 70's.

It was a GREAT story at the time and still is. But the plain truth is he is remembered years later for being a guy that came back and performed at a level that allowed him to play in and win the Super Bowl.

Alex Smith is on a club that was 3-13 last season and while his story is compelling as well, it is indeed more of a life affirming story than one of competitive intrigue.

Smith to me was a declining player before he was hurt. He had that one great 'buck the curve' year in 2017 statistically and that allowed Reid to be able to unload his $17M cap hit and go to Mahomes while banking a draft pick, etc.

To me Alex is pressed into service as a backup at 37 simply due to the failure of Rivera and Snyder to be perfectly candid with each other in January.

It's painful to watch. At least Kyle Allen can run away from pressure. Alex's days of running at the speed of a tailback or even a tight end are over and that athleticism is what allowed him to make plays earlier in his career especially in SF.

I hope Kyle Allen stays smart and avoids going helmet to helmet with defenders for the balance of the season because the feel good story of Alex Smith ended in my mind with his ability to put on a uniform and be made active on any given Sunday in the NFL in 2020.

Expecting him to start 6 or 7 games if Allen gets hurt down the road to me is something this team should be planning NOT to do.

We should acquire another veteran when Haskins is dealt. A backup finishing up a current contract and set for free agency that can come in and do the basics if that is necessary.

Burner’s Burning Questions: Grades, Predictions, Evals, Questions, 2020 Season​

Greetings from BBQ to everyone at BGO. We hope you are having a good week. Hello to everyone on social media. We’d love to have you as a member here and become part of the family. You are our honored guests, so sit back and enjoy.

Welcome to our look back at the Giants game and the weekly prediction for the next game – this week it is the Cowboys at home. Following the heartbreaking loss last Sunday, the WFT is STILL one game out of first place. To be honest, we didn’t expect the first place status to last, but it is stunning to know that the Burgundy and Gold is still one game behind. The Giants gave the WFT every chance to win on Sunday, but it is time to move on to game seven. Today, we bring you the latest set of grades and evals and we’ll see how the WFT fared last Sunday. We’ll also take a look at this Sunday’s game against the Cowboys.

It sure would be nice to talk about a divisional victory next week. Let’s get right to the grades, evals, and prediction for this week.

Upcoming Dates
- Days until the virus passes: Hopefully, very soon
- Days until the Cowboys game: 3
- Days until the Bye: 4
- Days until the Giants game: 17
- Days until the Lions game: 24

Week Six: Grades and Evaluations

Offense:

The offense still lacks the firepower that it really needs to succeed, but this unit did play with much more determination than what we have seen in recent weeks. Of course, playing a team that is 0-5 helps, so the WFT offense still has so much to prove. Every facet of the offense needs a lot of improvement, but this a game to build on. It’s not a huge positive by any stretch, but this was possibly a small first step in the right direction.
BBQ Grade: D+

Defense:

Surprise! The defense didn’t allow thirty or more points in the Giants game, but it is still a loss. Landon Collins is still a liability, but Deshazor Everett proved that he is an upgrade over Troy Apke. The linebackers were improved - but Kevin Pierre-Louis is a baller and Cole Holcomb brought some life to the linebackers on Sunday. Where is Ryan Anderson? Is this front four capable of getting sacks? It sure would be nice if they could play up to their potential.
BBQ Grade: D-

Special Teams

Tress Way returned to form on Sunday after two weeks of subpar (by his standards) punting. Dustin Hopkins – what can you say? He needs to be more reliable on field goal attempts of just under fifty yards. Nick Sundberg’s poor snapping was on display, much like it has been over the last three years. Returns were not bad, but not all that good either.
BBQ Grade: C-

Coaching:

The coaching was better than what we’ve seen in recent games, but the overall performance of the team is still lackluster at best. Offensive coordinator Scott Turner is struggling, but he doesn’t have all the tools to make his offense work proficiently. It’s still too early to judge his effectiveness as a coach. The offense was improved over recent weeks, but the opponent was very weak. The defense is not playing to its capabilities. The special teams needs a bit of work. Improvements? Yes. More improvements needed? Definitely.
Grade: D

Let’s take a look at week seven.

Week Six: Cowboys at WFT
Site: FedEx Field, Landover, MD
Time: 1:00pm, EDT
Television: FOX

After the heartbreaker last Sunday in North Jersey, the WFT returns to FedEx with first place in the division on the line. That sounds really cool, but we know the truth. The NFC East is a joke. Both teams struggle early on, but have a better second half. Dallas is just a bit better and Washington’s woeful struggles continue.
Prediction: Dallas 27 Washington 17
BBQ Record: 4-2

There is the latest game prediction for this season. We’ll post game grades next week and have some surprises during the bye.

My latest article has posted at Riggo's Rag. We award four game balls for Sunday's game. Make that four times two.

My latest article posted early this morning. If you get a chance, have a look.

Greetings from BBQ to everyone at BGO. We hope you are having a good week. Hello to everyone on social media. We’d love to have you as a member here and become part of the family. You are our honored guests, so sit back and enjoy.

Welcome to our look back at the Cowboys game and the weekly prediction for the next game – this week it is the Giants at home. It was nice to have a resounding victory over a division rival and have an extra week to celebrate it. And the WFT is in the hunt for a division title. That’s crazy, but a nice kind of crazy. It’s stunning to know that the Burgundy and Gold is still challenging for a playoff spot as we head to the second half of the season. Just plain old crazy. Today, we bring you the latest set of grades and evals and we’ll see how the WFT fared against the Cowboys. We’ll also take a look at this Sunday’s game against the Giants.

It sure would be nice to talk about another divisional victory next week. Let’s get right to the grades, evals, and prediction for this week.

Upcoming Dates
- Days until the Giants game: 3
- Days until the Lions game: 10
- Days until the Cowboys game (Thanksgiving): 21

Week Seven: Grades and Evaluations

Offense:

The offense was firing on all cylinders. Kyle Allen had a solid, but not overly spectacular game. Antonio Gibson was on fire. Logan Thomas had his best game not only as a member of the WFT, but as a pro. The line was like a rock and performed very well. Morgan Moses was an inspiration. Terry McLaurin is simply incredible.
BBQ Grade: A-

Defense:

If it wasn’t for a long return on a kickoff, the defense would’ve hurled a shutout. This was total domination. It was annihilation. It was a demolition. The defensive line was incredible. Ryan Kerrigan continues to prove that his fresh legs are an asset. Cole Holcomb was a stud against the Cowboys. Is he on the way to stardom? He has quite a burst and motor. Daron Payne is very underrated and deserves many shout outs. Jon Bostic deserved a one game suspension with his hit on Andy Dalton. His boneheaded play prevents this from being an “A” or “A-“ grade.
BBQ Grade: B+

Special Teams

Tress Way continues to impress, but Dustin Hopkins is becoming a problem. His line drive kickoff allowed the returner to return the kick 67 yards and that prevented a shutout. He also missed another field goal attempt inside of 50 yards. The punt and kick returns were subpar. The special teams unit needs to improve, pronto!

Coaching:

The coaching was superb. Scott Turner called a brilliant game. Jack Del Rio’s unit was on fire. Yes, this game was against a severely wounded team, but any successful organization takes advantage of such circumstances. This game was a positive step in the right direction. Oh, and the special teams unit needs some work.
Grade: B+

Let’s take a look at week nine.

Week Nine: Giants at WFT
Site: FedEx Field, Landover, MD
Time: 1:00pm, EDT

It may seem easy to pick Washington here. A sizable victory over Dallas. An extra week to rest and rejuvenate. Facing a team that is struggling. It sounds like the perfect ingredients for a dish that will be served up to win on Sunday. But Daniel Jones is 3-0 against the WFT and he has his best games against the Burgundy and Gold. Oh, what the heck!
Prediction: Washington 29 New York 24
BBQ Record: 4-3

There is the latest game prediction for this season. We’ll post game grades next week and have a prediction for the Lions game.

FYI...

I meant to get the latest grades and evals up last Thursday, but I had a bunch of articles to work on at Riggo's Rag and with regular trips to the doctor, I waited until today. I'll still post this on Thursdays, but those are the reason why I waited until today.

I'll post many of my articles right here tomorrow. Just taking a look at upcoming offseason stuff, plus one interesting article.

Here are several of my articles from recent days.

My latest article at Riggo's Rag. Could the WFT be interested in this mystery QB?

Six players to build around for the future.

Six players to jettison during the offseason.

I discuss NFL conference and division realignment and how it might work.

The bye week is over and it is time for football again. Hope you enjoy these articles. Some intriguing stuff here.

My latest article at Riggo's Rag posted early this morning. It is the weekly "Five and Five" - five positives and five negatives from the Giants game.

And yes, we have four new clunkers to talk about this week. This article (written before the "Five and Five") was posted a short time ago.

Tomorrow, we will update the blog here with a look back at the Giants game with evals and grades. We'll also have a prediction for the Lions game. As for the RR articles, go have a look!

Welcome to our look back at the Giants game and the weekly prediction for the next game – this week it is the Lions in Detroit. Here we are once again. Another loss to chew on and it feels like a weekly routine that is all too familiar to us. Getting swept this season by a 1-7 team (2-7 now) is what 2020 gives to Washington and the fans. The WFT is not a playoff team. Talk of the playoffs or a division title is nothing but fool’s gold. We’re not going to cheer for losses or hope for a better draft position, but BBQ will understand if that is what you want to do. 2020 is insane. Just plain old crazy. Today, we bring you the latest set of grades and evals and we’ll see how the WFT fared against the Gaints. We’ll also take a look at this Sunday’s game against the Lions.

We’re not sure what the rest of 2020 will bring. At least it is mid-November now. Let’s get right to the grades, evals, and prediction for this week.

Upcoming Dates
- Days until the Lions game: 3
- Days until the Bengals game: 10
- Days until the Cowboys game (Thanksgiving): 14
- Days until the Steelers game: 24

Week Nine: Grades and Evaluations

Offense:

The offense struggled in the first half, but caught some good fire in the second half. Antonio Gibson fumbled on the first offensive play of the game and Alex Smith was intercepted on the last offensive play. Four turnovers on offense thwarted one drive, a scoring opportunity, and two golden opportunities for a comeback victory. This is why Washington is not a playoff team and they are 2-6 halfway through the season. You can do the simple math here.
BBQ Grade: D+

Defense:

The talented defensive line gave up 166 yards on the ground. 166 yards to a 1-7 team. 166 yards without Saquon Barkley. Let all of that sink in. The linebackers struggled against the Giants. The secondary had a decent game, but couldn’t create a turnover on Sunday. Kamren Curl has a chance of being a very good strong safety, but he did make some rookie mistakes. Daniel Jones is now 4-0 against the WFT and 1-16 against the rest of the league. Let that sink in for a moment.
BBQ Grade: D-

Special Teams

Tress Way averaged 55 yards per punt on Sunday. One punt went for 56 yards and the other traveled 54 yards. Enough said. Dustin Hopkins was solid against the Giants and we are not haters this week. Let’s hope he can build on his success from this game. Isaiah Wright takes it all down a few notches with a crucial fumble on a misjudged punt. The Giants scored a touchdown four plays later.

Coaching:

The coaching was horrible. How can a team score a blowout victory before the bye and look so lackluster two weeks later? To a one win team? How? The turnovers are not the fault of the coaches, but playing in such a lackadaisical manner from the opening snap is inexcusable. How does a highly ranked defensive line give up 166 yards to a 1-7 team? Fundamental football is being ignored at this juncture and the coaching is not what you should hope for halfway through the season.
Grade: F

Let’s take a look at week ten.

Week Ten: WFT at Lions
Site: Ford Field, Detroit, MI
Time: 1:00pm, EST

This may not be pretty at all. It could get ugly very fast and Washington might be looking at their worst loss of the season. The Giants loss is going to loom over this team and the motivation to play this game will be quite low. Just being honest here and letting you know it now. Matt Stafford is poised to have his best day of the season.
Prediction: Detroit 44 Washington 10
BBQ Record: 4-4

There is the latest game prediction for this season. We’ll post game grades next week and have a prediction for the Bengals game.

I will be moving the weekly grades, evals, and predictions to Riggo's Rag effective immediately. I'll link to it here each week for the rest of the season if you want to follow along.

Before the site closes, I'll have some final thoughts about BBQ. For nearly a decade, the inseason and offseason blogs have seen some changes and refinements. Those blogs will now be integrated into Riggo's Rag. You won't miss a thing if you decide to follow BBQ over there. It won't be known as BBQ. That name may continue on at a website that is being created for me or it will be retired altogether.

It became obvious to me this season that BBQ had run its course here and I've spent the last few weeks thinking about what I would do with it. That question has now been answered for me and it is time to take it all in a new direction.

Thanks for making BBQ so successful. Thanks to the owners for putting up with me. Thanks to all of you for making it work.

See you as we go along.

You have been an incredible contributor here Ken. We are so appreciative and cannot thank you enough for all of your amazing work over the years. I have told you this before, but there has not been a better Redskins pre-draft and free agency writer than you over the past decade. We've been incredibly lucky to have you and I hope you know how much we have appreciated it! :cheers:

I appreciate it. Thanks to each of you for creating the site and allowing me plenty of latitude to work with. It has allowed me to move in a direction I didn't think was possible. The work lives on because of what happened here.

Just to let everyone know...
The scandal and name change has really tugged at me since all of it unfolded this summer. I'll wait to see what happens with the scandal, but my fandom is hanging by a thread at this time. I'll continue to write about this team far into the future (and as my health allows), but we'll see what happens in the coming months.

I'll probably stay with the team when it is all said and done, but there are no guarantees. Tennessee is enticing - they are just three hours by car from here. Kansas City is enticing - keeping the native American theme is a good thing. Jacksonville is enticing - being a Navy town more than works for me.

Again, I'll let everyone know what the plans are for me before the site closes.

Here are my latest articles at Riggo's Rag from the last three weeks. This should catch us up to date.

My latest article posted early yesterday morning at Riggo's Rag. It's a second in-season mock draft during this mini-bye. Lots of changes and a few surprises.

I was on the HTRWeAre Podcast last Sunday night after the 49ers game. You get to hear my monotone Virginia voice and analysis of the game. Also, there is a small clip at the very end for UVA fans. About thirty-five minutes long. I come aboard after a few minutes.

Reactions: Om

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.