• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner’s Burning Questions – Offseason, Free Agency - Part One

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
The offseason has officially begun and it is time for the Redskins coaches, scouts, and front office to evaluate the players who will be a part of the 2012 team. From now until training camp, BBQ will examine the players who will be retained, released, signed, and drafted. Predictions will be made along the way and your participation is highly encouraged.

These offseason blogs will reside in the “Member Blogs” forum and for those who wish to participate in the discussion, the blog will be posted here in our “Sons of Washington” forum. This is not my blog or your blog – it’s OUR blog. Let the zaniness of offseason commence!

So, who will the Redskins target in free agency? The first thing we must do is define the team needs. Free agents can fill serious needs and provide depth as role-type players. Let’s take a look at the offense first as this will likely be a heavy target in the offseason.

1. Quarterback. This is the number one need in the offseason. Nothing else comes close. Who could the Redskins target in the next few weeks? Here are some possibilities.

A. Peyton Manning. He is not a free agent, but the clock is ticking on his release. His health is still a question mark, but recent reports indicate that Manning should return at or close to 100% by May. BBQ lists him as the number one free agent target at quarterback.

B. Matt Flynn. His resume is limited, but Flynn’s stats are very impressive for the amount of time that he has been on the field. Some may say he is nothing more than a “system quarterback” or that he could struggle in a new offense. Those are factors to consider, but he is likely an upgrade over Rex Grossman and John Beck.

C. Josh Johnson. A backup at Tampa Bay who has a potential upside, but are the Redskins willing to take the time to groom him? Patience would be the key here, but the Redskins may see the potential and decide that he is worthy of a chance. At the very least, his upside is greater than John Beck.

D. Rex Grossman. Familiarity with the system is his selling point, but we have seen the ceiling on his talent and ability.

E. Shaun Hill. He is a very capable backup. Does he have the skillsets to be a starter in the league? If the Redskins think so, then Hill could garner some attention.

F. Dennis Dixon. Like Hill, Dixon is another good backup who could receive some attention as a possible starter.

G. Kyle Orton. If Orton has a good team around him, he can be very effective. Too, his upside has likely been reached and could struggle at times.

2. The offensive line could use upgrades at right tackle and guard.

Tackles.

A. Jared Gaither. The only issue is his history with back problems. It appears as if he is healthy now.

B. Anthony Collins.

C. Barry Richardson.

D. Brandon Keith.

Guards.

A. Carl Nicks. He could be franchised if Drew Brees is able to get a contract done quickly. If available, the Redskins should seriously consider Nicks.

B. Ben Grubbs.

C. Jeremy Zuttah.

D. Kory Lichtensteiger.

3. Wide receiver is another area that could be targeted in free agency.

A. Dwayne Bowe. It has been reported that he is on the Redskins radar.

B. Mario Manningham.

C. DeSean Jackson.

D. Eddie Royal. It has been rumored that he is on the Redskins radar.

4. Tight End could be an area of need. It depends on the status of Fred Davis.

A. Fred Davis. This is a priority for the Redskins and he is expected to return with a long term contract.

The defense has fewer holes to fill, but there are some needs that could be filled via free agency. Depending of the status of LaRon Landry, safety could be a huge need. A backup/nickel cornerback is needed and some would argue that a starter is needed as well. However, look for Raheem Morris to have a great impact on Josh Wilson and DeAngelo Hall. Linebacker could receive some attention, but that core group is solid with Orakpo, Kerrigan, Riley, and Fletcher – assuming he returns. The defensive line is set - look for Adam Carriker to return. A run-stuffing defensive tackle can’t be ruled out.

1. Safety

A. Tyvon Branch. Branch is a talented strong safety who could replace Landry.

B. LaRon Landry. He would be in the first slot if the nagging injuries are behind him. Look for him to return with a contract that addresses these issues.

C. Michael Griffin.

2. Cornerbacks (Backup and Nickel)

A. Richard Marshall.

B. Tracy Porter.

C. Jason Allen.

3. Linebacker

A. London Fletcher. He will return to the Redskins.

B. Lofa Tatupu.

C. Joe Mays.

D. Keyaron Fox.

The above list of players was considered based on factors like age, experience, talent, availability, and need.

The next issue of BBQ will dive into Part Two of free agency and will center on who the Redskins should re-sign and who should be released.

Last edited:
Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this BB. Exciting times will be upon us soon!

I could see the Redskins targeting a couple of less prominent WRs who are young with some upside like Robert Meachem and Pierre Garcon.

Also, a couple of good CB prospects (though very likely could be retained by their current teams) include: Brandon Carr and Brent Grimes.

I have seen it mentioned that Grimes will be franchised in Atlanta. If not, how likely would it be that we tie up that much money when we've paid D-Hall and Wilson. Would D-Hall would be willing to re-structure if needed?

So what you're saying is the Redskins need just about everything and pretty much all options are on the table. Got it.

Also, a couple of good CB prospects (though very likely could be retained by their current teams) include: Brandon Carr and Brent Grimes.

Hard to say whether Brandon Carr or Dwayne Bowe will get the franchise tag in KC. I would jump at the chance to grab Carr if he hits the open market.

I have seen it mentioned that Grimes will be franchised in Atlanta. If not, how likely would it be that we tie up that much money when we've paid D-Hall and Wilson. Would D-Hall would be willing to re-structure if needed?

Well, if the Skins could actually get Grimes he would represent an upgrade over Hall, so I'm sure they could find a way to make the contracts work. It's not like they're hugging the cap or anything.

They could use Hall's own words (down on himself this year) to compel him to restructure. Or better yet they could just use his play to justify him taking a paycut.
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/12/cornerbacks-a-glance-at-the-2011-numbers/

I wouldn't mind a NT in free agency were one available.

I'm of the mindset that EVERY season, we need to be looking to add depth along both OL and DL regardless of how much talent we have. Look how the Giants have handled their DL, for instance.

So what you're saying is the Redskins need just about everything and pretty much all options are on the table. Got it.

:rotflmao:

I have to admit I was thinking the same thing.

Of course, I don't really pay attention to our offseason until we actually sign someone, so I appreciate that other people here do that for me. :)

I wouldn't mind a NT in free agency were one available.

I'm of the mindset that EVERY season, we need to be looking to add depth along both OL and DL regardless of how much talent we have. Look how the Giants have handled their DL, for instance.

Soliai from Miami is available. He could add some depth and perhaps start allowing Cofield to play DT some on rotation.

Soliai from Miami is available. He could add some depth and perhaps start allowing Cofield to play DT some on rotation.

El, I think Jenkins was slated to fill that role until he got hurt. Soliai might be an upgrade but he'd probably be pricey as well. I have a feeling we won't see a FA NT signed this offseason. Not sure if that's good or bad but I don't see any big money invested in the D-Line with other pressing needs.

Really surprised that Routt was released. He could be out of our price range, but you never know. Sounds like the new GM and coach are trying to move quickly beyond the Al Davis years and let his son put a new image on the team.

I'm still thinking that we will be fine with Wilson and Hall at the CB position. Raheem is an excellent DB coach and he will have a great impact of both. Look for them to have a solid 2012. That is why I suggested getting a nickel back or a reliable backup.

El, I think Jenkins was slated to fill that role until he got hurt. Soliai might be an upgrade but he'd probably be pricey as well. I have a feeling we won't see a FA NT signed this offseason. Not sure if that's good or bad but I don't see any big money invested in the D-Line with other pressing needs.

Jenkins is coming back from injury, and although he showed promise, he still has to prove a lot. And from what I have read, he will be much better suited as a DT than a NT, perhaps sliding over to spell the NT in rotation. I just don't think he is a full time NT.

I think Soliai would be a wise move, he would be the only true NT we have. He won't demand that much, but he will cost. With him at NT, Cofield and Jenkins filling in, Bowen, Jenkins, Carriker (who should re-sign) and Cofiled rotating at DT, that line could be very good! We were solid this past year, but add Soliai to the mix could push them over the top. We have to replace Gholston, why not go ahead and spend a little for a player like Soliai?

Even though DL is less of a need than several areas on the offensive side of the ball, this is the direction I would lean. Would be a very savvy move by Allen/Shanahan.

My guess is we will lose Carriker this offseason and therefore will have an open spot. Cofield is more of a 3-4 DE, I believe, so adding Soliai would actually be wise in order to have a true NT rotating in with Chris Nield.

that NT would be a stellar signing, we might have "improved" after our drastic drop off but we need to get better against the run and a real NT would go a long way towards this,.
100% agree.

Let's hope the FA takes notice of this need as well.

ALWAYS improve the lines if you can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.