• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner’s Burning Questions – Offseason Edition: Free Agency, Part Three

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
A major change has taken place at Redskins Park as the team made a move on Friday evening. The Redskins now have the second pick in this year’s draft and the team will now set its sights on QB phenom Robert Griffin, III. This also alters the free agency market landscape significantly as the Redskins now have a marquee QB to entice in front of potential suitors in the FA pool.

In this third and final installment, let’s take a look at some targets with a bit of commentary mixed in on occasion.

Quarterbacks
We know that Robert Griffin, III is all but coming to Washington and will be penciled in as the starter from day one. Who in FA could be a target?
1. Chase Daniel – He has improved dramatically in New Orleans and the Redskins seem interested.
2. Josh Johnson – He is a young player who could develop into a solid backup and be starter-ready if there is a need.
3. Kyle Orton – A veteran who could provide a solid presence as a backup.
4. Rex Grossman – Familiarity with the system is his selling point.

Offensive Linemen
This will be a target in FA and the draft. Protection for a franchise QB is of the utmost importance.
1. Carl Nicks – The Redskins have nearly $40 million in cap space and Nicks would be a great addition to the line.
2. Anthony Collins – A solid lineman who quietly gets the job done.
3. Chilo Rachal – He was not a fit for the 49ers, but could be an excellent fit for the Redskins. Look for him to be a target.
4. Ben Grubbs – Coming off an injury, but if he is back to 100%, Grubbs would be a solid addition.

Running Backs
No needs in FA. A lower round draft choice can fill any needs at this position.

Wide Receivers
1. Vincent Jackson – Placing him at the first slot was difficult, but he will be a target. Another reason for placing Jackson here – imagine RG3 and Jackson as teammates.
2. Pierre Garcon – He is very underrated and would be a solid addition.
3. Mario Manningham – A player from a division rival? Yes indeed. He could be a good option if the first two choices are not available.

Tight Ends
There are no legitimate targets in FA.

Defensive Linemen
1. Red Bryant – A talented DT who can stuff the run and create pass rushing lanes for the LBs.
2. Mario Williams – Why not? If he can be signed to a somewhat friendly contract, you make the move.

Linebackers
1. Dan Connor – Pairing him beside London Fletcher would make for a powerful inside tandem. If Fletcher walks, Connor could take his place.
2. Erin Henderson – A solid player who is a good team LB. Not flashy, but gets the job done.

Cornerbacks
1. Tracy Porter – There are better corners on the market, but the Redskins need a very solid nickel/backup CB. Porter would be a good choice.
2. Aaron Ross – Reports indicate that the Redskins will target Ross in FA. Like Porter, he could be a good nickel/backup CB.
3. William Middleton – A young player with loads of potential.

Safeties
1. Craig Steltz – A hard worker who could be entering his prime at SS.

Special Teams
No particular targets in FA.

Players that should be released by the Redskins
John Beck – The reasons are obvious. The Redskins should simply move on from Beck.
Mike Sellers – A core member of the team, but age is now pushing him out the door.
Jammal Brown – Too many injuries and he is all but ineffective.
Sean Locklear – He was never a fit in DC.
Rocky McIntosh – He is not a fit in this defensive scheme.
Phillip Buchanon – No longer a factor for the Redskins.
LaRon Landry – Injuries are an ongoing concern. Ineffective at times and celebrates a tackle after the opposing team has acquired a major chunk of yardage. Attitude is a concern as well.

Bubble players that should receive consideration
Donte Stallworth – This is a tough call. Some would say that it tilts slightly to releasing due to possible newcomers and current depth chart. Others would say that he should stay due to familiarity with the system and having a good second half of the season in 2011.
Brandon Banks – Yes, he is a bubble player, but only because of his size and fragility. However, he is a dynamic player who can be a game changer.
Rex Grossman – Being familiar with the system helps, but if better options are there in FA, it is time to move on.

Redskins FAs that should be re-signed
Fred Davis – He has been franchised and will stay.
London Fletcher – The heart and soul of the defense should not be allowed to test the FA market.
Tim Hightower – He was off to a good start and then an injury derailed his season.
Adam Carriker – A steady presence at DE needs to be re-signed, but at a decent price.
Kory Lichtensteiger – He was tagged, but the team will monitor his progress.

Free agency begins on Tuesday at 4pm EDT. The next round of offseason excitement is upon us.

Hail To The Redskins!

FA is gonna be interesting, and not just for the obvious reasons. The Redskins can now look at Vincent Jackson (or Manningham or whoever) and not have to admit that there is a strong liklihood we will be pairing them with Rex effing Grossman anymore. Money is obviously important, but you think some of these WRs especially were gonna get pumped about having Grossman as their QB?

You think RGIII might be a little more attractive, especially considering what Cam Newton did for Steve Smith's career last year?

Same thing with the OLine. If you're a big ugly, you gonna get more pumped about playing with Rex-I-love-turnovers-and-I-don't-mean-blueberry-Grossman, or RGIII, who, even if you miss a blocking assignment, has the skill to elude the sack and make a big play?

Also true with defense. If your choices are Rex, and watch him give the opposing offense a short field against your defense, or someone like RGIII who can score from anywhere, who are you getting more pumped about.

This move, by sewing up our draft pick early, has the potential to dramatically change FA, especially since we have the cash to throw at just about anyone.

Well, we hope that FAs will see what RG3 could bring to the Redskins and be attracted to it. With somewhere between $36 mil and $40 mil, the 'Skins have a lot ammo to sign ten or twelve FAs. Half of that number could be impact players.

But you're right - getting this done prior to free agency is huge. The potential signees can see that we will have a franchise QB, a stud running back corps, a solid defense, a solid front office, and a highly respected coaching staff. It's an attractive situation.

Wow. Writing that last paragraph feels good. Really good.

Nice review of potential FA's BB - well done :cheers:

I like what you have presented. I don't know why, but Chris Meyers still has not been signed by the Texans and unless they get a deal done over the next few days before FA, he should be a target. Unlikely in light of the new contract for Monty, but he is far better.

Nicks has to be a target now that we have spent so much on our QB. I like Lichtensteiger, but I like him better as a backup to Nicks.

Of course I think Carriker and Fletcher should be signed before FA hits.

The only thing I would I disagree with is RB. I think we need a bruiser like Tolbert as the 3rd string RB. A nice change of pace back. With the injury to Hightower coming in the middle of the season, I am leery to bring him back without at least testing the market for Hillis, if Shanahan feels comfortable that he can get his head on straight, or Tolbert who I would rather have. He would probably come cheaper. Sellers is gone and Young was mildly impressive last year.

thanks for consolidating that. I think with a few good free agents and some late round gems this team is going to be real fun to watch next year. (I guess that is not an original thought from the previous 10 years but what the hey, who knows)

hmmmmm... i really would like to get WR V. Jackson to help the RGIII offense...but what are the chances we get Garcon also?...would love to see us get Ol Nicks...but I know we need help at corner but don't really know those FA's...to me corner has become the toughest postion on the defense to play..maybe toughest other than QB...also think Henderson is a pretty good pickup....I'm very excited to see who we get ...think Hankerson will be very good if he stays healthy

I would love Nicks, I also dont know why so many of you guys sleep on Evan Mathis, the guy is a great guard who is a bit undersized but would fit our system as the away side guard. they you put Nicks on the right side and let him bulldoze guys.

I would also take Manningham ahead of garcon, garcon has good speed but doesnt have great hands, you dont want that guy with a young qb, you want the best hands possible with a young qb.

I would love us to sign Williams, we would have a beast 4-3 set and a solid 3-4 set with him here, he gives us a polished pass rusher, we could play Rak at Base end, and use williams at rush end using kerrigan at slb and subbing at end on passing downs, but our primary need is at nose, which is why im angry we gave up that second rounder I was hoping we would get a god interior Dlineman with that pick.

I would love Nicks, I also dont know why so many of you guys sleep on Evan Mathis, the guy is a great guard who is a bit undersized but would fit our system as the away side guard. they you put Nicks on the right side and let him bulldoze guys.

I would also take Manningham ahead of garcon, garcon has good speed but doesnt have great hands, you dont want that guy with a young qb, you want the best hands possible with a young qb.

I would love us to sign Williams, we would have a beast 4-3 set and a solid 3-4 set with him here, he gives us a polished pass rusher, we could play Rak at Base end, and use williams at rush end using kerrigan at slb and subbing at end on passing downs, but our primary need is at nose, which is why im angry we gave up that second rounder I was hoping we would get a god interior Dlineman with that pick.

I agree but you can teach and workon catching ability ...but you really can't teach speed....Speed kills.

Wide Receivers
1. Vincent Jackson – Placing him at the first slot was difficult, but he will be a target. Another reason for placing Jackson here – imagine RG3 and Jackson as teammates.
2. Pierre Garcon – He is very underrated and would be a solid addition.
3. Mario Manningham – A player from a division rival? Yes indeed. He could be a good option if the first two choices are not available.

There's more than that out there. This is a good free agent WR class including Reggie Wayne, Marques Colston, Eddie Royal and a host of others

Like I said a few weeks ago, this is our blog and the offseason for the Redskins is always exciting. So yes, let's fire up Redskins One and do some tracking at Flightware on Tuesday. :)

Everyone has presented some great ideas. My list is just a start and we won't sign each player listed. I put Garcon ahead of Manningham only because Mario may not prefer to go to a division rival. There is always a chance of him re-signing with the Giants.

Another thing I did was to focus on players that are younger AND who could contribute. That doesn't mean we won't sign anyone around the age of 30.

Trying to evaluate our own players is a challenge for a couple of reasons. First, some players will be kept until the final round of cuts in training camp. Some will be cut next week. Second, the coaching staff has the obvious insight on the intangibles that each player brings to the team. As fans, we don't have that kind of access - sure, some cuts that are coming will be no brainers. One example is Adam Carriker. For the moment, it seems like the FO has no interest in re-signing him. I'm hoping the silence is just negotiating privately and not publicly, but he may be allowed to walk for reasons that will become known sometime later.

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
I agree, but one of them will not be Colston. He is not on the list of what the Redskins want. Major concerns about his knees has eliminated Colston from consideration at Redskins Park.

Glad to hear that, BB. He wasn't even the top Saint WR on the market as far as I was concerned. I would rather have Meacham.

I see a lot of reports that say Garçon will follow Manning. That sucks.

Vincent Jackson is 29. Garçon is only 25, and a true burner.

Garcon is the definition of the word "inconsistent", and not just this last year. I would much rather have VJax and the respect and attention he commands from opposing defenses.

The problem, Goal, is that with the respect and attention VJax commands from opposing defenses comes the attitude VJax brings to his own locker room. We just got rid of several guys with less than great attitudes. Do we want to bring one back in?

Fair point Neo. If my choices are limited to Garcon and VJax, I'd take VJax. From what I remember, he had problems a couple of years ago, but seems to have quieted down lately? I do not follow the Chargers at all, so feel free to correct me if I am remembering that incorrectly.

I understand you have to weigh talent with attitude and off-field considerations, and I am not all in on VJax. I have a bad feeling that Peyton made his Colts receivers look better than they actually were, as a rule. I'm not a huge fan of Garcon, accordingly.

Glad to hear that, BB. He wasn't even the top Saint WR on the market as far as I was concerned. I would rather have Meacham.

I could see the Skins getting VJax, but I'm with you I like Meachem. I would rather the Skins pursue two younger (albeit less proven) WRs with less red flags and solid upside like Meachem and Garcon. Also, as some have pointed out, a lesser talent like Eddie Royal could be on the radar.

I haven't watched Meachem a lot, however, I did little analysis on the available WRs and Meachem really seems to be flying under the radar. Maybe I'll post my analysis if anyone's interested.

On a separate note - I'm surprised Brandon Carr's not on the list of FA CBs. I think acquiring him would make a ton of sense.

Also, how does everyone feel about Curtis Lofton and Paul Soliai as other potential targets on defense?

And what about OG Mike Brisiel from HOU?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.