• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner’s Burning Questions – In-Season Special Edition, Part One

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
http://bgobsession.com/blog.php?b=427

Greetings to the loyal readers of BBQ. In this first installment of the in-season special edition of BBQ, we will take a look at possible draft choices for 2013 as it relates to team needs and depth. The second installment will come after the eighth game and additional posts will come after weeks ten, twelve, fourteen, and sixteen. The latter installments will also take a look at possible free agent targets (including players from all NFL teams). We will focus primarily on team needs and draft/free agent history (the Shanahan regime in Washington) as a guide.

The Redskins have these picks for 2013 in the NFL draft: Round 2, Round 3, Round 4, Round 5, Round 5 (from New England), Round 6, Round 7, Round 7 (from Detroit). Areas of focus for the Redskins in 2013 could center on defensive secondary, offensive line, wide receiver, and running back. Too, the Redskins do not have a first round pick, so the highly ranked blue chippers will not be available. With that in mind, let’s take a look at possible prospects for the 2013 draft.

Safety:

Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
Height: 6-1. Weight: 215
Projected Rounds: 2-3

Robert Lester, S, Alabama
Height: 6-2. Weight: 210

Shawn Williams, S, Georgia
Height: 6-1. Weight: 217.

Brandan Bishop, S, N.C. State
Height: 6-2. Weight: 205
Projected Rounds: 3-5

Cornerback:

Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa
Height: 6-1. Weight: 185

Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
Height: 6-0. Weight: 184

Terry Hawthorne, CB, Illinois
Height: 6-0. Weight: 190

Rod Sweeting, CB, Georgia Tech
Height: 6-0. Weight: 184
Projected Rounds: 3-4

Offensive Tackle:

David Yankey, OT, Stanford
Height: 6-5. Weight: 302

Justin Pugh, OT, Syracuse
Height: 6-6. Weight: 292

James Hurst, OT, North Carolina
Height: 6-7. Weight: 310

Tanner Hawkinson, OT, Kansas
Height: 6-6. Weight: 295
Projected Rounds: 4-6

Wide Receiver:

Tevin Reese, WR, Baylor
Height: 5-10. Weight: 165

Andre Debose, WR, Florida
Height: 5-11. Weight: 191

Josh Boyce, WR, TCU
Height: 5-11. Weight: 203

Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
Height: 5-9. Weight: 176
Projected Rounds: 4-5

Chad Bumphis, WR, Mississippi State
Height: 5-10. Weight: 200
Projected Rounds: 6-7

Running Back:

Ray Graham, RB, Pittsburgh
Height: 5-9. Weight: 195

Michael Ford, RB, LSU
Height: 5-10. Weight: 215

Johnathan Franklin, RB, UCLA
Height: 5-10. Weight: 205
Projected Rounds: 5-6

Marcus Coker, RB, Stony Brook
Height: 6-0. Weight: 230
Projected Rounds: 5-7

After game eight, we will take another look at prospects. Additions and subtractions could occur based on new team needs or issues.

Hail To The Redskins!

I normally pay zero attention to future offseason stuff.

I would be interested in potential good young kickers, though.

We're in need of one for the 937th year.

I'd love to see us grab a CB that can be groomed to be a shut down corner, or a big Safety that can play center field in the 2nd round.

I'd love to grab a kicker in the 4th/5th rounds if one exists.

As I said, team needs and issues will be looked at in other installments along the way. If there is a need for a kicker by week eight, it may find its way into BBQ at that time. Thanks for the great comments.

Great work BB. You are really on this early.

Personally, I believe our next draft will be almost all O-line and secondary. And maybe one late round RB.

I don't see any need for another WR.

Thanks for some players to watch.

Just curious, BB. Why do you list WR as a need? I could see maybe a replacement for Banks (#fingerscrossed), but aside from that I think we have pretty good depth at that position.

Helu's injury concerns me, and I agree that RB may have to be a target out of necessity because of it. But I would really like to see the majority of our picks (at least 5-6) be spent on the Line and the Secondary.

if the Redskins take a running back or wide receiver high in the 2013 draft my shoe is going to go through my newly installed vid TV :mad:

this team with the cap penalty at $18M for next season, HAS to find OL and CB help in the draft.

In 1980 the 49ers needed help in the secondary and drafted Ronnie Lott, Carlton Williamson and Eric Wright in the first 5 rounds.

Similarly, the Redskins in 1981 had a shaky OL and took Mark May and Russ Grimm with their first two selections and then added Joe Jacoby as a UDFA.

This team needs to address these very key areas.

I think with Morris, Helu, Royster, et al at RB we have enough to work with and win with.

Depending upon how Hankerson and Robinson come along at WR we may have enough there as well.

Its almost a lock that Shanahan drafts a RB in the later rounds but WR? I'm not so sure. I think they'll stick with what they've got.

Also, at RB, I expect a return of Tim Hightower, once he's healthy.

late in the draft doesn't bother me, because anything after Round 4 from the stats is a crap shoot.

but in Rounds 2-4 we need to really focus on the key areas of need on this club and fill some of these holes once and for all.

The reason I'm looking at small, speedy receivers in the mid rounds is simple - I think this is Santana's last year of football in DC. Banks has no chance at becoming his replacement and is nothing more than a gadget player on offense.

We have four weeks until the next set of ideas and team needs could really change during that time.

The Cowboys won multiple Super Bowls with 6'2 wide receivers. Ditto for SF.

We don't necessarily need a smurf.

Arguments can be made for both sizes, but we'll see where things stack up after game eight and for the remainder of the season.

FYI...

This thread/blog will serve as the entry for BBQ this week.

Also, I am thinking of altering the question format to more of a research vehicle of college prospects, free agents, and current team members. I'll keep the weekly format until game eight and the change could become effective at the mid point of this season. The research will be put into something of a question format (especially in light of the name of this blog) for said research.

Let me know what you think of that pending change. Thanks.

I really, really hope we spend that 2nd rounder on a RT. We need to protect RG3 the way he's taking hits so far.

After that, either FS or CB. (we may try for Talib in offseason, right? - maybe just FS, then)

All other picks should bolster DL and LB, with possible TE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.