• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Bruce Allen: Redskins not done with deals

tshile

The first wave of free agency didn’t solve every problem, nor did the Redskins expect that to happen. But they still have other ways to bolster their roster, with more players still available – and with the trade market starting to form next week.

When coaches and general managers convene in Orlando starting Sunday for meetings, league business will be discussed. So, too, will potential deals now that teams have a better sense of what they need – and don’t want.

In other words, the Redskins aren’t done. Far from it.

“We’re still having conversations with players and next week I’m sure there will be a lot of discussions about teams offering up players for trades,” Redskins general manager Bruce Allen said.

Yes, Allen will be receptive to such talk.

“I’m listening to them, absolutely,” he said.

Whether or not something happens is another matter. And it’s his job, of course, to find other ways to improve, and that includes trade talk. Yes, quarterback Kirk Cousins has said he would welcome a trade, but the Redskins have said they’re not interested in trading him.

The overall point, though, is that it’s tough to accurately judge their offseason right now. There’s too much of it left; too many moves they can still make in addition to the draft. Another wave of players will hit the open market after the draft after getting released.

The Redskins have hosted safety Ryan Clark, linebacker Anthony Spencer, receiver Kenny Britt, center Brian de la Puente and guard/center Mike McGlynn in the past nine days. All remain unsigned. Britt told Buffalo reporters Friday he would make up his mind in a few days. In addition to the Redskins and Bills, Britt also has visited New England and St. Louis.

“We have a lot to do,” Allen said. “Everybody here is focused on 'Let’s find another way to get better.'”

To date, the Redskins have added pass-rush help but have yet to solve their issues at safety, though they did re-sign Brandon Meriweather. They've signed defensive lineman Jason Hatcher, guard Shawn Lauvao, receiver Andre Roberts, cornerback Tracy Porter and linebackers Darryl Sharpton, Akeem Jordan and Adam Hayward. They also re-signed corner DeAngelo Hall and linebacker Perry Riley.

The logical conclusion, based on signing Hatcher and franchising Brian Orakpo, is that the pass rush was the Redskins' top priority. That's where the big money went.

“I don’t think it’s any secret in the NFL the last 75 years that the line of scrimmage is very important on both sides,” Allen said. “Adding some depth is very important and that’s what we continue to try and do.”

NFL Bruce Allen: Redskins not done with deals - ESPN

To me the most interesting question is the OL.

Montgomery was released, a relative unknown in Lauvao was signed early on and the team has brought in a number of other veterans.

I still think the team will make a move or two here before the draft.

Cutting Chester would save $2.7M against the cap for a guy that is 31 and has never lived up to the 5 year, $20M contract he signed.

This is all very suspect to me, nobody had anything glowing to say about Thomas last year from my recollection. This smells like "we know we have such little talent at safety, lets make everybody feel better about it." Yeah I'm prone to being Vinnie gun shy. They did however need all the excuses they could muster in 2013 so why come out with this now?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

If memory serves...there was positive talk about Thomas along two lines: his smarts and his ball hawking skills.

The guy was hurt as a rook before we ever got to see him in live action. While there's no data showing he might be a future starter, there's no reason (other than possible questions about his health) to write him off either.

The thing that worries me about where the mind of BA is at, is the fact he has stated that the pass rush was the top priority. The pass rush? When you have a young QB with the potential to be the most dynamic player in the league, and a top notch young back who is killing it behind a nonexistent line, your only priority should be the OL. Nothing else should have even been a topic of discussion until the OL was heavily fortified. I understand we have multiple needs all over the field, but if you can't protect or block for the guys who score the points for you, nothing else matters.

The thing that worries me about where the mind of BA is at, is the fact he has stated that the pass rush was the top priority. The pass rush? When you have a young QB with the potential to be the most dynamic player in the league, and a top notch young back who is killing it behind a nonexistent line, your only priority should be the OL. Nothing else should have even been a topic of discussion until the OL was heavily fortified. I understand we have multiple needs all over the field, but if you can't protect or block for the guys who score the points for you, nothing else matters.

To be fair, he said "the trenches", not specifying defense. That seems to infer that they still have the OL in mind...

So regarding Wilfork...

lloyd-chance.jpg

The way I remember it Thomas was much further along than Rambo in football IQ but was not nearly as good of an athlete. He was more ready to start in the NFL but Rambo was thought to have the greater upside if he worked hard.

The thing is, almost ANY sixth round pick is EXPECTED to be a raw project that is going to take time to develop and become the best player he can be in the NFL.

Unfortunately, he was thrown in as a starter last year when he was clearly not ready and the coaching staff fed him to the media wolves instead of admitting it was perhaps a mistake throwing Rambo in there from Day 1 with little time to hone his craft.

There is a reason these guys were not first round draft choices.

Fans and media have to understand that.

But it doesn't mean that Rambo or Thomas couldn't end up being better NFL players than David Amerson or guys drafted higher.

A good organization that had been making the right personnel moves over time don't put themselves in the position of having to start sixth round rookies on opening day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.