• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Bring me the head of Billy Cundiff

I go back to my basic question. Where does the team go?

Shaun Suisham, Nick Novak, David Akers, Shayne Graham, Neil Rackers, Mike Nugent are ALL kickers the Redskins have had who have played mediocre or poor football here but who are all now with an NFL team as a starter for the 2012 season.

It seems in an ironic twist that kickers only appear to suck here.

Suisham couldn't make a pressure kick to save his life here, although he was quite good in Quarters 1, 2 and 3................but yesterday he confidently kicked the Steelers to the win against the Eagles with no time on the clock.

If he had done that here against Dallas, he would never have been released...........:)

Chick Hernandez is reporting that the Redskins will work out kickers tomorrow. Thank God!

Fear... the same reason we let Akers and Suisham go. No patience during their young years. I believe in picking up veteran kickers because sometimes you have to wait a long time for a young kicker to mature. Susie-ham grew up after being cut here he was horrible when he was needed and got cut. Akers well, he never even got a shot really. Novak was young and raw and not dependable. Talented ( as much as a kicker can be) but young and raw. He's grown up and is now a little more dependable. A decent team can have patience with a kicker, we have been relying on these guys to win games or keep us close for a long, long time. That's a lot of pressure for a young guy and the job is more suited for a mature kicker. Once our offense progresses enough that we don't live and die by the kicker, we be able to afford the patience that allows you to groom a young guy and live through his ups and downs. Going to Cundiff was secretive, quick and a bad call the way I see it. With our offense improving, we could have kept Gano (not a guano guy) or kept Rackers. Why Cundwhiff was brought in here is still a huge mystery to me.

Fear... the same reason we let Akers and Suisham go. No patience during their young years. I believe in picking up veteran kickers because sometimes you have to wait a long time for a young kicker to mature. Susie-ham grew up after being cut here he was horrible when he was needed and got cut. Akers well, he never even got a shot really. Novak was young and raw and not dependable. Talented ( as much as a kicker can be) but young and raw. He's grown up and is now a little more dependable. A decent team can have patience with a kicker, we have been relying on these guys to win games or keep us close for a long, long time. That's a lot of pressure for a young guy and the job is more suited for a mature kicker. Once our offense progresses enough that we don't live and die by the kicker, we be able to afford the patience that allows you to groom a young guy and live through his ups and downs. Going to Cundiff was secretive, quick and a bad call the way I see it. With our offense improving, we could have kept Gano (not a guano guy) or kept Rackers. Why Cundwhiff was brought in here is still a huge mystery to me.

I get the impression that he was brought in because he consistently puts the kick off deep into the end zone, something Gano was not to be counted on for. Yesterday, even the announcers confirmed how the Falcons had poor starting position a good part of the day. Those deep kicks do help out the D a lot, but is it worth standing on the edge of a precipices with your eyes closed, waiting to be pushed in, or pulled back every time we have to try what would be seen as "chip shot" ?

I'd have Gano in a uniform before 5 o'clock beer call.

I agree cmlpetely that we've never been patient enough to let a young kicker develop.

According to LaCanfora, the Redskins will work out at least 3 kickers, including Olindo Mare, Josh Brown and Kai Forbath (WTF?), as well as some long-snappers.

No Gano? /sadface

I go back to my basic question. Where does the team go?

Shaun Suisham, Nick Novak, David Akers, Shayne Graham, Neil Rackers, Mike Nugent are ALL kickers the Redskins have had who have played mediocre or poor football here but who are all now with an NFL team as a starter for the 2012 season.

It seems in an ironic twist that kickers only appear to suck here.

With exception of Akers, what is the constant here? Answer...Danny Smith

Kai Forbath?

201208291847676515944-p2.jpeg

Tampa Bay Buccaneers kicker Kai Forbath fumbles the ball, but was able to recover it and get the punt off, during the first half of an NFL preseason football game with the Washington Redskins, Wednesday, Aug. 29, 2012, in Landover, Md. (AP Photo/Nick Wass)

Uh....well......?

Link to above juicy tidbit: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/games/2...hoto,045c7d1f-898b-3111-81b3-f723910c2d5f-l:1

MAre? Hell, bring Morten Anderson out of retirement if you're going to do that

Yep, Kevin got it right. Momentum was KILLED. If he makes that field goal, who knows if they score at all? Might have been 13 or even 17-0 at the half. Instead, its 7-7, whole new ball game to start the second half.

This was my beef with the miss. We still work hard to score points and had we made that who know what would have gone down. The Falcons may well have just said "Screw it" and mailed the rest in. Who knows?

All I know is I made 30 yarders in high school. This dude is supposed to be a professional and make those. No excuses.

I have been hearing a lot about the "momentum" of the game. I know there is tremendous value in it, I have been clamoring against the play calling of Kyle because he tends to shift momentum in the oppositions favor when he gets fancy. But in this case, the missed FG was in the first half. We came out and ended up with the lead in the 2nd half. Momentum from that missed FG ended for them at the half.

Yeah, for anyone to suggest momentum is not a part of the game is just plain foolsih. It plays a huge part in some cases and not so big in others, but there are momentum swings whether it's a trendy word or not.

Didn't say it wasn't part of the game.

Said it was over-rated

These are grown men, making millions. Somehow I don't believe they crawl under the sideline bench and cry every time the other team scores, and beg for pity.

Anyone who doesn't give 100% mentally and physically throughout the game, especially if it's still tied in the 2nd quarter, has no business in this league

That's why they say Cornerbacks for example, have to have a short-term memory, to be successful. You make a bad play, you forget about it and move on, or else you don't keep your starting job.

If missing one kick was a momentum killer, then what should THREE missed kicks have done to the Skins against the Bucs ? By you guys' theory, it should have completely deflated the entire team. But just the opposite. True professionals rebound and thrive in adversity

Don't forget the matter of trust players have for one another.

I can remember Butz scowling at Mosely after a missed kick, the rest of the team busted ass to get to the point where the kick could be made, it was missed, all the effort was for naught.

Yeah, "pros" get back on track but can that guy be trusted again to come through. Cundiff was a machine in NO, he sputtered badly in Tampa, come Falcon time when the whole team knew that "A" game was paramount to have a chance, Cundiff didn't bring it when the team setup in his sweet spot.

Butz had no room to talk. Moseley kicked the Redskins to the Super Bowl in 1982, his FGs were the sole source of points in two or three of those games, while ole Dave was a guy that didn't stay in shape in the offseason and came to camp to get ready for the season and was never ready to play until midseason in top form :)

Go back and look at the scores in 1982 and the point differential. That 8-1 regular season record could easily have been 5-4 or 4-5 without those 22 straight field goals.

That's why he was the league MVP that year wasn't he?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.