• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Box Seats: Rooting for the Redskins to Lose is a Terrible Idea

• Thread starter Lanky Livingston
  • Start date
that helped Mike...but they had already drafted Aikman if memory serves.

and it did happen again! Ricky Williams!

bro, nothing has happened or will happen again on the level of herschel.

emmitt smith
alvin harper
darren woodson
russell maryland
kevin smith

17 players in total. that changed the whole organization and Aikman went 0-11 his rookie season with 9TDs and 18INTs. you cant sell Aikman on being that team's savior to anyone..not even a cowbum fan. they know Herschel Walker is the reason for such a fast turnaround.

you're right man...dallass played the draft well. nothing will ever be done like that again. I'm just saying that the Ricky WIlliams deal involved a whole mess of draft picks also (we just didn't capitalize as much on them).

you're right man...dallass played the draft well. nothing will ever be done like that again. I'm just saying that the Ricky WIlliams deal involved a whole mess of draft picks also (we just didn't capitalize as much on them).

I don't know...if we see someone trade up with the Colts, there just might be compensation on a Herschel Walker type level...

3 firsts, 2 seconds, and maybe a third or 2 thrown in for good measure.

the upshot is that Dallass took their lumps, drafted a solid young qb but also had massive roster turnover a few years in a row. JJ also was a much better draft evaluator and the cowpies put a premium on indentifying young talent. we have yet to demonstrate either skill.

the upshot is that Dallass took their lumps, drafted a solid young qb but also had massive roster turnover a few years in a row. JJ also was a much better draft evaluator and the cowpies put a premium on indentifying young talent. we have yet to demonstrate either skill.

As far as draft evaluation goes, they could have done a lot worse. I think the 2011 draft was a home run. Kerrigan is a superstar, Jenkins looked very promising before going on IR, Hankerson was finally turning it on before his injury, Gomes & Paul have both seen significant playing time. Even 7th rounder Chris Neild is contributing with a couple sacks.

EDIT: Mo Hurt is looking very solid the past few weeks. Another 7th-round contributor!

Don't forget Perry Riley - he looks like a steal in the 4th round with the way he is playing lately.

As far as draft evaluation goes, they could have done a lot worse. I think the 2011 draft was a home run. Kerrigan is a superstar, Jenkins looked very promising before going on IR, Hankerson was finally turning it on before his injury, Gomes & Paul have both seen significant playing time. Even 7th rounder Chris Neild is contributing with a couple sacks.

EDIT: Mo Hurt is looking very solid the past few weeks. Another 7th-round contributor!

Don't forget Perry Riley - he looks like a steal in the 4th round with the way he is playing lately.

you're right...you, of course, forgot Helu.

The Jenkins injury is big.

now that I think of it....would having jenkins have made a big impact? he looked good in preseason. I think this was a big loss.

Having covered the game for I got to interview a few guys in the locker room.

I was big time impressed with Riley and Hurt, and I made sure to let them know that we see the improvement in them from week to week. Those are two guys I'd really like to see stick around.

It has gone beyond wishing the team lose.

The fact is the team sucks eggs and IS going to lose, so the only real question at this point is whether you want to pick fifth or sixth or as far down as tenth in Round 1 next April.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I agree that this year was solid, but not spectacular because we didnt get guys who filled our most drastic needs. hurt has been solid and perfomed above what I expected, so did neild but neither of them really had to fight for playing time. Kerrigan is my favourite player but we had bigger needs than OLB. Riley has started coming on but again not a lot of guys to beat out, we will see if they keep up playing well or fade. an ideal draft is when a team drafts players who fill holes at a pro bowl level and those players take the team to another level. I havent seen that this year. IMHO the biggest hits were Kerrigan and Helu.

Well, if your "ideal draft" is all game-changers and pro-bowlers, then you might as well stop watching football. It ain't gonna happen. I would be surprised if you could find a draft that was filled with nothing but pro-bowlers - especially one with 12 picks!

Yeah Ryan, if your talking about the first 2 rounds, maybe even the 3rd, being pro-bowlers I wouldn't disagree. And even the 2nd round would be stretching it much less a 3rd.

Not sure how you could suggest every pick 1-7 making the pro-bowl is ideal, that is perfection not ideal and I am not sure you can find a single team in history who has had an ideal draft if that is your standard.

after rereading my post I can see how you would read it that way, what I meant was I determine productivity by the round drafted, yes neild and hurt are ahead of what I would expect from late round picks, but if your first and second and perhaps 3rd rounders arent starting and contributing at a high level immeduately then they are not great picks, especially when they didnt have anyone to fight for the job. and playing adequately isnt great its adequate, our issue is we simply dont have very many good players we have a few very good and a lot of barely adequate.

after rereading my post I can see how you would read it that way, what I meant was I determine productivity by the round drafted, yes neild and hurt are ahead of what I would expect from late round picks, but if your first and second and perhaps 3rd rounders arent starting and contributing at a high level immeduately then they are not great picks, especially when they didnt have anyone to fight for the job. and playing adequately isnt great its adequate, our issue is we simply dont have very many good players we have a few very good and a lot of barely adequate.

While I agree with your premise, I don't agree with what you seem to think of the picks we made.

Kerrigan started on Day 1 and while you might not think he had any competition, I would beg to differ. Alexander played that position well at the end of last year. Granted, he wasn't a potential All Pro there but he was good enough to give Kerrigan competition. Kerrigan IS looking like he might be an All Pro someday.

Jenkins was not projected to start when drafted but the time he was hurt, folks were thinking it was just a matter of time before he beat out Carriker for a starting job and you have to admit that Carriker is playing better this year than in any year in his career.

Hankerson looked better by the week when he got hurt too. And while I know he didn't even dress early on, he is a WR and very, very few of those make any kind of impact as rookies. Conventional wisdom is that it takes nearly 2 full seasons for any WR to adjust so his looking better and better in the middle of the year makes him looking much better.

So I think we got what you are looking for in the first three rounds.

I agree with Neo. Maybe its just because the Redskins have drafted so poorly in the past decade or so, but this draft was a home run! We won't fully know until Jenkins & Hankerson come back next year, but it is definitely looking that way, IMO.

Yeah, hate to pile on Ryman, but I am not sure how you can call this draft anything but a major win for us. You didn't mention Helu in the 4th, but it looks like we may have a starting RB out of the 4th round; at worst, we have a more-than-solid rotational player, out of the 4th round.

Aldrick Robinson is really the only player it looks like we may have whiffed on.

Not sure how that doesn't qualify as an amazing success, unless you are looking for reasons to bag on the FO, in which case, I sincerely doubt any draft in the history of the NFL Draft (for anyteam) would appease you.

In fairness, it is possible that so much of this draft made the team because so much of the team was bad. But I think it is safe to say that Kerrigan, Jenkins, Hankerson and Helu all look like long term contributors at the least and very likely long term, quality starters. Frankly, I think most teams would take that every year if they could.

Now I can see the possibility of guys like Gnomes and Hurt not being on the team 2 years from now as Shanahan and Allen continue to work the draft and build quality depth but right now, they are nothing to sneeze at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.