• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Bobby Beathard has passed away at 86

A giant in the sports love of my life.

Respect and gratitude.

Godspeed.

Our little surfer boy genius. Always liked and respected him. What a great life!

Architect of our glory years and from everything I've heard a good guy. RIP.

Puts 'we had a good draft' in perspective, right?

Everyone is forgetting his greatest scouting achievement. Hiring Joe Gibbs. Rest Easy Mr. Beathard, say hello to other Redskins fallen for us.

I don't think either guy has the success they had without the other.

Bobby managed to select amazing football players and even somehow found a way to draft a guy who would go on to set a record for the most consecutive games played in National Hockey League history with the Phil Kessel pick. Amazing. 😆

In all seriousness, may Bobby rest in peace and may his loved ones be comforted during this time.

Thank you, Mr. Beathard.

I think Beathard and Gibbs were the perfect example of a GM and coach working together to build a championship roster. That roster won three Super Bowls and got to another. He knew how to not only find talent, but find talent that fit with what the team did. He was one of the best of all time and will be a legend in Redskins land forever. RIP Mr. Beathard.

I agree that Beathard and Gibbs were a great team, but it wasn’t entirely because Bobby found pieces that fit. Gibbs was not a system coach. He learned his team inside out and adapted his scheme to do what they did best. Joe Theismann was the opposite kind of QB to Mark Rypien. John Riggins was not Earnest Byner.

The strength of Gibbs was to take any set of groceries and make a great meal. The strength of Beathard was identifying overlooked guys who could become contributors in the late rounds and free agency.

He brought that genius to San Diego and took the chargers to the super bowl, too. The man just knew football and players.

Just seeing this. RIP to the architect of the great Redskins teams of my youth.

On this date in 1978 the Redskins hired Bobby Beathard as their general manager. I'd say that move worked out pretty well.

Reactions: Om

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.