• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Blood Pressure Issue......Low Systolic BP, High Diastolic BP

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
I have had problems with my blood pressure off and on for about 12 years now. For the past 2 years, my doctor has had me on Clonidine, which worked great for the most part. Without it, my average BP was around 145/95, and with it, it was usually around 125/80.

On December 23 of last year, I had a headache wake me up from a dead sleep. I checked my BP and it was 174/110. I took my medicine, and it went down, but only to 148/98. When I took my second does later that day, it did nothing.

Ever since that time, I'm not getting headaches, but I have been having strange BP issues. The medicine seems like it either quit working completely out of nowhere, or I have something else going on. Now when I take my medicine, I will check my BP several times throughout the day. I have noticed an odd pattern - my systolic BP is staying around 130-135, but my diastolic BP is staying high, usually around 98-105. Two days ago, I even got the crap scared out of me when it read 142/128.

For the most part, I feel fine. I don't feel sick, no pains, no lightheadedness or dizziness, but I keep feeling like my face is warm off and on, and I get these spurts where I feel pressure in my head, mouth and ears, and sometimes a stiff neck, but no pain. These spells will last anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours, then my BP goes normal for a while. This occurs several times throughout the day, every day since December 23.

I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow, but I was just curious since I have had a very hard time finding any related info online, if anyone has any ideas of what could be causing this. I eat extremely healthy, and I don't drink. I do smoke, but I went 24 hours without one the other day and my BP actually went higher that day. I have also cut back from a pack a day to half a pack a day, but still no improvement. I even had a few days where I got a strange sensation on my forehead like someone was poking me with their finger, but not sure if it's related.

Any ideas?

edit: my doc's office just called and wants me in at 3 today, because the doctor said he doesn't want to wait to see me. Leave it to the doctor to scare the piss out of you :laugh:

Last edited:
Thoughts?

1) Seeing doctor = good.

2) Quit smoking, brother! Just do it.

3) Mike is passive/aggressive.

Passive? I just don't see it ;)

As far as the quitting smoking part, I know I have to do it, but I'm failing miserably every time I try. Any tips for someone who had no luck with meds/patches/gum/lozenges/etc.?

Ex, you gotta quit smoking. Of course your BP went up when you stopped. That's what the body does whewe're addicted to something. You gotta stop that ****. As Boone said in another thread, that is the single mot important decision you can make. Period.

I'll talk to my Dad for you if you want. He's a psychologist who has run an extremely successful smoking cessation program at the Hampton VA for years. I'll see if he has any advice.

Passive? I just don't see it ;)

As far as the quitting smoking part, I know I have to do it, but I'm failing miserably every time I try. Any tips for someone who had no luck with meds/patches/gum/lozenges/etc.?

Not really, Ex. Each of us different. I've been lucky---I smoked in college, and over beers with friends for years after, until one day I decided enough was enough. I just stopped. Had cravings, yes, but have never gone back.

I know my level of addiction was different from others' so I don't pretend that it's that easy for everyone. But in the back of my mind I'm still mostly convinced that, with few exceptions, one generally CAN do what one puts one mind to. Quitting smoking, losing weight, shaking onesself out of a rut....none of it is easy, but it can be done.

Ex, you gotta quit smoking. Of course your BP went up when you stopped. That's what the body does whewe're addicted to something. You gotta stop that ****. As Boone said in another thread, that is the single mot important decision you can make. Period.
I agree, but I think I need to find something stronger as far as BP meds go before I can really quit. With my BP already too high while on meds, I don't wanna have a stroke as a result of quitting smoking.

The other thing that worries e is these red lines on some of my toenails. I looked them up, and apparently they are called splinter hemorrhages, usually caused by endocarditis. I'm reeeeeeally hoping that isn't the issue for obvious reasons. I match a lot of the symptoms, but the ones that are listed as most common like high fever, nausea, chest pains - I don't have, so who knows. Also, I've had them come and go for a few months now on my fingernails and my toenails, and from what I read on endocarditis, it would be practically impossible to survive that long without treatment. i just haven't found anything else that causes those, but I'm thinking high BP could in theory.

I'll talk to my Dad for you if you want. He's a psychologist who has run an extremely successful smoking cessation program at the Hampton VA for years. I'll see if he has any advice.
That would be awesome, I am literal;ly willing to try just about anything at this point.

Not really, Ex. Each of us different. I've been lucky---I smoked in college, and over beers with friends for years after, until one day I decided enough was enough. I just stopped. Had cravings, yes, but have never gone back.

I know my level of addiction was different from others' so I don't pretend that it's that easy for everyone. But in the back of my mind I'm still mostly convinced that, with few exceptions, one generally CAN do what one puts one mind to. Quitting smoking, losing weight, shaking onesself out of a rut....none of it is easy, but it can be done.
I just hate being hooked on them. I was a fall down drunk and drug addict and quit cold turkey and never had any issues, but quitting smoking is hell. I'm actually gonna try to make the one I just smoked my last one. I need to stop before it kills me.

you know what you need to do...yet you have a reason not to do it. seriously, do you intentionally screw yourself over?
Honestly? It's very possible. I have done many things in my life that I think might be somewhat mental in nature. Not doing anything crazy, just doing things that are stupid when I know the consequences. When I was young, I would be all about my girlfriend until I started falling in love with her, then I would cheat on her and think nothing of it. Then I would tell her about it, knowing the outcome. I also had jobs I quit over the years that were great jobs, just because I got bored with it, but never had another job lined up. I also went from having tons of friends to having maybe 5 that I talk to anymore, just because I didn't feel like hanging out or talking to them anymore. I had credit cards over the years that I ran up the balance on knowing full well I had no intentions of paying them These things have all come back to bite me in the ass over the years too. It's self-destructive behavior that I'm fully aware of when I'm doing it, but I apparently don't really care.

I'm sure there is bound to be some sort of mental disorder that fits that perfectly, and maybe treating that will help me more than anything else. One of my friends jokingly said I was probably a sociopath, but I have feelings and don't fit it at all. I'm not a con artist, I don't try to manipulate people to get my way, I don't think I'm entitled to anything, I can love and show and feel emotions, I don't lack empathy, I don't have any extreme need for stimulation ever, I don't act out and throw fits to get my way, I'm not a criminal and never had the urge to be, I don't lash out and never have, I haven't been promiscuous at all since I got married, I'm the most reliable person my family and friends know, I don't exploit people, I don't stab people in the back, I break my back at every job I've ever had. I just can't help but think it's something mental, but I'll be damned if I know what it could be, because I haven't found anything that fits even 1/4 of what I deal with.

Oh, and your post made me realize I do have a bad habit of having an excuse for anything I don't want to or can't do.

Honestly? It's very possible. I have done many things in my life that I think might be somewhat mental in nature. Not doing anything crazy, just doing things that are stupid when I know the consequences. When I was young, I would be all about my girlfriend until I started falling in love with her, then I would cheat on her and think nothing of it. Then I would tell her about it, knowing the outcome. I also had jobs I quit over the years that were great jobs, just because I got bored with it, but never had another job lined up. I also went from having tons of friends to having maybe 5 that I talk to anymore, just because I didn't feel like hanging out or talking to them anymore. I had credit cards over the years that I ran up the balance on knowing full well I had no intentions of paying them These things have all come back to bite me in the ass over the years too. It's self-destructive behavior that I'm fully aware of when I'm doing it, but I apparently don't really care.

I'm sure there is bound to be some sort of mental disorder that fits that perfectly, and maybe treating that will help me more than anything else.

You have Honey Badger Syndrome. You just don't care.

I have Aortic Stenosis, and have to get a doppler test on Wednesday to check for Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome, which nearly killed my brother 12 years ago and required him to have open heart surgery. Today isn't my day. They've switched all of my medicines and put me on diuretics, beta and calcium blockers, and medicine to control my hear rhythm. How unfrtunate that it's genetic and I had no control over it. I'm 32 years old, I'm too young for this ****.

A bit of good news that was just brought to my attention - I have no choice but to quit smoking immediately. The most important medicine they put me on was Ziac. Apparently if you smoke while you're taking it, you will lose feeling in your hands and feet. So I guess I gotta take a win wherever I can get it.

Last edited:
Congratulations on quitting smoking. Take the silver lining if that's what you've got.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.