• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Bill Callahan new OL coach

That came out of nowhere.

I have this recurring dream. It comes in two parts-part one is about two more Lombardis on the shelf in Ashburn.

The other...well, it's about going through an entire off-season as a Redskins fan with no drama, no controversies, nothing seriously unexpected transpiring-everything nice, neatly organized and proceeding in a well ordered and smooth manner.

Recent events seem to have nudged the first dream a bit closer to coming true. (I like the Callahan acquisition, BTW)

That other dream though.......:twitch:

Can we get a recon on this?

With the likes of Smith, Frederick, and Martin along the Cowboys' offensive line, Callahan seemingly had a knack for knowing how to get younger guys to produce right away and be effective.

As a result, to me, this year looks like the right opportunity to bring in a few young offensive linemen, hopefully plug them into the lineup, and see immediate results.

From both Bugel and Foerester, we didn't see much in terms of player development along the line. Hopefully that trend changes, as Callahan has proven he's capable of such.

we'll know in Mar what the strategy is going to be once the first FA signings unfold.

Hmmmm...isn't this guy more qualified as an OC than McVay is? I kinda think so. It's a good move to bring him as the OLine coach but it also begs the question of who the Skins might be looking at for an OC.

It still comes down to coaching talent.

Zack Martin was a rookie that made the all-pro team in addition to the pro bowl.

The Cowboys have made three major investments on the OL, the Redskins have only made one, Trent Williams.

The rest of these starters are practice squad pickups, street free agents and guys that have been waived/released by their former clubs.

Not much more has gone into the DL.

When this changes so will the record.

Callahan is a great Oline coach and we got him because of the drama over on the cowpies sidelines, Callahan was involved in the playcalling carousel, and was very upset about it, so he jumped to come here. I cannot help but feel they told him he was gonna get some good free agents and a high pick to work with. as for OC it will be someone who does what gruden says, the big hire now is a DC who has a good hookup for staff and can bring some solid position coaches with him im hoping bums kid or lebeau

I'm very curious to see how this plays out with McCloughan and Callahan evaluating Compton, LeRibeus, Moses and Long. And, if any are still on the roster this upcoming season, can Callahan coach any of them quickly into quality starters. It sure would be a plus and put the whole team a little further ahead.

Last edited:
I'm very curious to see how this plays out with McCloughan and Callahan evaluating Compton, LeRibeus, Moses and Long. And, if any are still on the roster this upcoming season, can Callahan coach any of them quickly into quality starters. It sure would be a plus and put the whole team a little further ahead.

I doubt it. LeRiebus is a lost case, Compton showed showed some glimpses, but look at what he replaced so how can we possibly gauge, right? Moses? Man, I think that cat has bust written all over him. I would like to see what we can do with Long. Filling in for TW is a tall order and he struggled, but he was not terrible like the rest in their spot duty.

I doubt it. LeRiebus is a lost case, Compton showed showed some glimpses, but look at what he replaced so how can we possibly gauge, right? Moses? Man, I think that cat has bust written all over him. I would like to see what we can do with Long. Filling in for TW is a tall order and he struggled, but he was not terrible like the rest in their spot duty.

Yep. I know what we've seen so far. And that also includes a very mediocre at best starting offensive line with that former coach. If it actually was solely a lack of talent, then there was no reason to replace the coach.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new guys, and their track record of success, bring to the table when it comes to the current roster, as well as future talent.

I honestly don't remember Long filling in for TW. What game was it?

I honestly don't remember Long filling in for TW. What game was it?

I think it was either Philthy or the Giants at the end of the season. He filled in a few series when Trent was battling the injuries. He was not bad…not great, but has some success against a top rusher. Can't remember who it was. I wanna say I saw him manhandle Trent Cole, but I just cannot remember.

I believe it was also stated that it was his only experience a tackle at any level. He was just the last man available. Pretty sure they also used Paulsen there during that game.

With Callahan it looks like we are going to go to more of a power rushing game with some zone blocking mixed in which is what he used at Dallas
Both Callahan and foerster are both highly regarded around the league if we were going to stick with a zone blocking scheme it would make more sense to have foerster
people writing off long and Moses are doing it prematurely

I don't think you write off Moses at this point, the guy suffered a bad injury and likely won't be 100% until the start of next year.

That said he has the size and strength to work in a power game. Perhaps RT is not his spot in the NFL.

Mark May was a #1 pick by the Redskins as a LT but played most of his career as a OG in the NFL.

I don't have the same warm and fuzzies about LeRibeus who has shown an inconsistent work ethic since coming to the Redskins (remember him at 360 in camp in 2013?)

Heck you can go back and look at his draft bio where his inconsistency in college was an issue.

Doesn't seem committed to being a top player in the league.

With Callahan it looks like we are going to go to more of a power rushing game with some zone blocking mixed in which is what he used at Dallas
Both Callahan and foerster are both highly regarded around the league if we were going to stick with a zone blocking scheme it would make more sense to have foerster
people writing off long and Moses are doing it prematurely

A couple more Callahan tidbits to gnaw on.

"Callahan has other ties here as well. Running backs coach Randy Jordan had the same position under Callahan at Nebraska. And Roy Helu Jr. and Niles Paul played for Callahan as freshmen in 2007."

This one is more interesting in terms of the Butler's possible usage.

"Two coaches who have faced Callahan over the years say his lines’ tendencies differ greatly from what the Redskins have done the past five years. He’s a power-running guy, and has been both in the NFL and in college. He may have some stretch runs here and there, but for the most part it’s power running and gap blocking schemes. Both coaches thought Morris would fit well into this style. Yes, he’s done well on the stretch runs, as he presses the outside, finds a cutback lane, puts his foot in the ground and runs to daylight. But he’s definitely a downhill runner. His physical approach will serve him well."

"Look for the Redskins to work to get bigger and more physical along the offensive line. Gruden wanted this when he first came to town. It’s a reason why they drafted Spencer Long, who is bigger than both Chris Chester and Shawn Lauvao. Long didn’t overtake either in the lineup despite their struggles. But this offseason could bring a change. Also, the Cowboys believed in investing high draft picks in their offensive line, and it’ll be interesting to see if Callahan brings that same philosophy here."

Interesting question here

"What does Callahan’s arrival mean for an undersized guy such as Lichtensteiger, who did play better at his natural position at center than he did at guard? I don’t know yet. Lichtensteiger is about an inch shorter and 15 pounds lighter than Dallas starting center Travis Frederick. Lichtensteiger worked to add bulk in the last offseason, but it’s too early to tell if he will be asked to do so again this year."

"Callahan’s arrival can only mean good things for Williams. Callahan helped Tyron Smith develop into one of the best left tackles in the game. Williams already is talented, but can get better. He uses his athleticism and ability a lot, but could become more technically sound, and Callahan should be able to help there."

Thoughts on the Redskins? hiring of Bill Callahan as offensive line coach - The Washington Post

Bostic was not a big center, he won on technique.

The rest of the line was the biggest in the NFL.

You really can't evaluate Kory until he is playing beside NFL caliber starting guards.

Chester and Lauvao on a good team are backups.

Hmmmm...isn't this guy more qualified as an OC than McVay is? I kinda think so. It's a good move to bring him as the OLine coach but it also begs the question of who the Skins might be looking at for an OC.

Mcvay isn't going anywhere young and up and coming coordinater hopefully he stays and when he is successful turns down head coaching jobs to stay here

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.