• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

BGO Fantasy Football League

Lanky Livingston

Any interest? There's a group of guys I've been in a league with from ES, but I have a feeling we're going to lose a few of them, if the league even goes on.

So - anyone interested?

In so far:
Lanky
Goaldeje
Om
MisterPinstripe
honorary_hog
Boone
McD5
Neophyte
BigMike
Sisyphus
tomwvr
beamish

Last edited by a moderator:
Fee based or free? Snake draft or auction? Espn or CBS?

Yeah, I could get into that, depending.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Absolultely, let's make it happen.

Will do some research and come up with options in the next day or two. :)

Absolultely, let's make it happen.

Will do some research and come up with options in the next day or two. :)

Oh, cool! I was just talking about using yahoo or something, but a site-based league would be very cool also! :)

Fee based or free? Snake draft or auction? Espn or CBS?

Yeah, I could get into that, depending.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Probably for bragging rights only, and maybe the powers-that-be could whip up a custom avatar for the winner. Standard snake-draft, and I like Yahoo! the best. :)

We might even throw in a BGO hat if you get enough players (once we get caught up handing out the NFL Pickem winner prizes!). I have never played FF in my life, but I'd be willing to lose my virginity if there's enough interest.

This is a great idea. And although it might sound intimidating for people who have never played before, you willl catch right on.

Yahoo is a good place.

Sometimes, when I'm uttering them, there's not even anyone else in the house.

Spooooooky.

"Spooooooky" is not the first word that came to mind when I read that, brother. ;)

Never played myself either and I am sure it is yet another time waster of time I most definitely do not have but I could be willing to give it a go with enough folks involved.

"Spooooooky" is not the first word that came to mind when I read that, brother. ;)

Never played myself either and I am sure it is yet another time waster of time I most definitely do not have but I could be willing to give it a go with enough folks involved.

There is definitely some time involved, but really not a ton. I am sure some of the experienced players can mention some tips to make it as easy as possible, and painless as possible for the newer players. ESPN will take care of most of it for you. Yahoo, if we use that platform, will take care of the rest.

Before deciding whether to join or not however, newer players need to be aware of a few things. First, the good:

1. It will definitely increase your football knowledge. You will know who the fourth best TE in the league is, and who the second best kicker is. You will be challenged mentally all season. Is your kicker playing in a dome this weekend? Or is he kicking outdoors at a windy Soldier Field?

2. It willl definitely give you even more to look forward to as Sunday approaches. Or Thursday night, these days.

Now the bad, at least what I perceive as the bad. Others may feel differently:

1. It is similiar to poker, in that you can be the best player, and dominate all season, but if on the last hand(game in this instance), your opponent luckily hits 4 Aces, you are dead meat. Like in poker, there is definitely luck involved. You may have Peyton Manning as your QB, and kick butt all year. But in the last game of the regular season, the Colts have already clinched, and they decide to bench him. You are in serious trouble. That can end your season immediately if you haven't prepared for it.

2. It can make you feel "dirty" at times. As an example, say you are watching a Redskins game. You have both McNabb and Santana Moss on your FF team:

3rd and goal from the 2. McNabb drops back, and runs a draw play to Portis, who scores a touchdown. As a Skins fan you go crazy. But as a FF owner, you would have preferred to have seen Moss catch the TD.

If you can accept those negatives, and just treat it as a fun game--similiar to poker without betting, you will probably love playing it. It is a kind of a combination between football, which we all love, and chess.

For those who love to be challenged mentally, or for anyone who would like to be the GM of their very own football team, it is a blast.

Last edited:
3rd and goal from the 2. McNabb drops back, and runs a draw play to Portis, who scores a touchdown. As a Skins fan you go crazy. But as a FF owner, you would have preferred to have seen Moss catch the TD.

Even worse, is losing to the Eagles, and saying, "Well, at least DeSean Jackson got me 23 points."

As you know though, that's of small consolation, and not really a factor in deciding whether or not to play. I do find that fantasy NASCAR games increase my enjoyment of the sport though. All things being equal (which they're not, of course) your favorite driver has a 1-in-43 shot at winning on a given Sunday.

So since the odds of your guy winning a Cup race aren't that good, I find the "consolation payoff" to be a little more signifcant in NASCAR.

Even worse, is losing to the Eagles, and saying, "Well, at least DeSean Jackson got me 23 points."

:laugh: Oh that's hysterical.

Yes, and you will find yourself interested in games that you may have otherwise never paid any attention to.

Sunday night? Seattle vs. Cleveland?

Oh hell, I need some bozo RB from Seattle to run for at least 45 yards and one TD to win my matchup this week.

:laugh: Oh that's hysterical.

Yes, and you will find yourself interested in games that you may have otherwise never paid any attention to.

Sunday night? Seattle vs. Cleveland?

Oh hell, I need some bozo RB from Seattle to run for at least 45 yards and one TD to win my matchup this week.

Exactly. :laugh:

But I think the Who Care's Bowls go a long way to increasing your understanding of the game/other teams; which was one of the points you made earlier.

I've updated the first post to reflect who's shown interest. We're at 8 so far, 12 is ideal in my opinion, but gets harder for FF rookies as the talent pool generally dries up very fast.

Lanky's Five Pillars of Fantasy Football Domination:

1) In FF World, the RB is king - I've tried several strategies, but the one constant on the teams I've won with was that I had a full stable of awesome running backs. In most league formats, you can start up to 3 RBs, and they produce lots of fantasy points. Yes, occasionally you're going to have a season where a QB dominates every week, but in general, RBs are the most consistent producer you're going to have. RBs are also going to get injured, so the more you have, the better off you are.

2) WRs are overrated, always - pretty self explanatory. WRs are a streaky beast; as Redskins fans we are all too familiar with this (called by some experts "Santana Moss Syndrome"). If you do your research (see Pillar 3 and 4), you can find productive receivers in the late rounds.

3) Research, research, research - Yes, occasionally someone can come into a FF draft unprepared and absolutely crush it, but its very rare. Research is king. Is a team running a new system? What players will benefit and what players will suffer? Has the QB ever played in that system before? Is player X recovering from an injury? How is the rehab going? Who is his replacement going to be? How many carries did RB Y have the past few season? Is it going to start taking a toll? Will goal line carries be given to someone else? Does WR Z have any gas left in the tank? Questions like these win FF championships.

4) Pay attention to the schedule - Yes, RB X is a home-run pick - he ran for a ton of yards and TDs last season, and caught a few more too boot. No way he can miss! Wait...he finishes the regular season against 4 of the top 10 run defenses from last year? Hmmm...

5) The waiver-wire; learn it, live it, love it - Every year there are a handful of players that go undrafted, and end up dominating in fantasy. See Smith, Steve, WR for the NYG last year as an example. He was a top 5 WR in most scoring formats, and I bet he went undrafted in 99% of all leagues (1% of leagues are made up of Giants' homers I'd wager). And there was no reason for him to be drafted, unless you're a Giant homer or master prognosticator. If you were lucky enough to snag him last season, you no doubt did very well in your league.

As a corollary, never be afraid to jettison an under-producing player. Nothing kills a fantasy season faster than thinking "Maybe THIS is the week Jamarcus Russel finally breaks out!"

Bump - we're stagnant at 9 people, need at least 1 more for a solid league. 12 is optimal, 14 is doable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.