• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

BGO.C.D.: Great Beckpectations

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
The John Beck era has officially begun. “I have a lot of confidence in John Beck because he does have that mobility and he has a strong arm. I’m...

More...

Before the season started, I was much more in favor of starting Beck. I think he will do a very good job in this offense and the team will receive a good spark from him. I really, truly believe it. The Shanahans said he was the best QB of the 2007 class and he is going to prove it.

I agree that Rex has taken his last snap as a member of the Redskins. It wouldn't surprise me if we promoted Jonathan Crampton to the roster sometime soon.

Back to Beck. I think the touchdown that he scored last week gave him some extra confidence inside and it will carry over to the coming weeks. I just wish he had a few more minutes in that game - he would've won that game.

Beck's Bandwagon...

All Aboard!!!

Before the season started, I was much more in favor of starting Beck. I think he will do a very good job in this offense and the team will receive a good spark from him. I really, truly believe it. The Shanahans said he was the best QB of the 2007 class and he is going to prove it.
I agree, but I'm concerned because our OL is still the major weak point of this team outside of QB. I hope his mobility can compensate.

Boone....you are a fantastic writer. I always enjoy reading your pieces.

As for Beck, I'm not very optimistic. Much of that is because of what I saw of him down here in Florida, when he played for Miami. Words truly can't describe how incompetent he was. I just have to hope that he has improved 10-fold since then.

Don't look at this if you are squeamish:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDIqcHBkyJs[/media]

I am starting to get even more concerned about Mike Shanahan. He looked very old and weathered when he left the field for halftime in last week's game. I have to wonder if he really ever believed that Rex or Beck were great qbs. Or if he was just saying good things about them to inspire confidence. I pray that it's the latter of the two.

And most of all, I hope that Beck can come in and just light it up for us.

Thanks for the kind words...almost didn't write this week as I'm not sure there's much more anyone can add to the conversation regarding Grossman and Beck. We'll soon have a lot to talk about though. Just keep in mind, the Miami debut was an absolute pro football rookie being thrust into action in the worst of situations. I think Beck has already shown in just a few series that he can at least play competently. The question is, can he shine. I don't think any of us know one way or the other.

You know what I think is motivating Mike Shanahan the most? I think there's a handshake deal that when he retires, Kyle moves into his role - and in order to make that happen, the team has to have shown major progress.

I don't want to be called negative for making this statement, but if we have success beyond mediocre with John Beck, I will eat my shoe! He is not the answer. I still see his performance as the number one and number 2 in pre-season and in both positions, he stunk, except against the Colts and well...we all know how good they are.

The older I get, the more the NFL and it's fans, get impatient....or so it seems.

I wonder if Rich Gannon would've ever been given the chances he got in today's league?

He bounced around a few teams before the "light" came on and he turned into a pretty good QB in Oakland.

How do we know that Beck's "light" doesn't come on here? It is a possibility, isn't it?

We can hope, can't we??

The older I get, the more the NFL and it's fans, get impatient....or so it seems.

I wonder if Rich Gannon would've ever been given the chances he got in today's league?

He bounced around a few teams before the "light" came on and he turned into a pretty good QB in Oakland.

How do we know that Beck's "light" doesn't come on here? It is a possibility, isn't it?

We can hope, can't we??

There is no way Rich Gannon gets the time with one team. He was 35 years old when he began his 3 yr Pro Bowl tour. He got a chance at 35 with his...what...8th team?

And yes, it is a possibility Beck could succeed. But it is so remote in my estimation that if he wins 6 of the remaining 11 games I would be willing to eat my shoe!

As for hope, I hoped Rex Grossman could have matured at this point in his career to not make stupid mistakes. As a Redskins' fan, I am not so sure we have the luxury of hope anymore.

I hoped Jim Zorn could be the younger surprise coach, I hoped Joe Gibbs could return us to glory, I hoped the Steve Spurrier hire wasn't the mistake it turned out to be, I hoped Marty would build a winner like he had everywhere else, I hoped the new owner would bring us a winner, I hoped the new stadium would mean a new era in winning, I hoped Norv turner would do the same for Heath Shuler that he'd done for Aikman, and I hoped the news that Joe Gibbs retirement was some sort of joke in 1993.

And while I understand this mess could not be cleaned up over a 18 month period, I went into this season hoping we could be that team that surprised everyone, the Bills or 49er's of this year.

You can call the impatience card all you want DP, I think I have exhibited a tremendous amount of patience over the past 20 years. I understand a winner can't be built over night, but...

Definitely Diesel. We need to give him a shot--the alternative wasn't working.

I'm just a little concerned about his talent evaluation over the years. He finds some good ones, but he makes some wild misses too. The Cleveland Browns line, Maurice Clarett and Joey Galloway are a few of his bad ones.

Remember Casey Rabach being named as our offensive player of the year? What was that? That couldn't have been serious. Who made that evaluation?

How about leaving Banks available to anyone in the league? Fortunately he made it back to us.

Shanahan seems to be about the only person around football who believes Beck belongs in the NFL. Either he will turn out to be brilliant, or this will be another miss that would make me question whether he can be depended upon in the future.

Last edited:
Definitely Diesel. We need to give him a shot--the alternative wasn't working.

The worst part of my unease with John Beck is that even I knew it was time for Grossman to get yanked. He gets his chance and rightfully so at this point, but I am not expecting much.

And about one-third into the season you still think Brandon Banks is worth a roster spot?

And about one-third into the season you still think Brandon Banks is worth a roster spot?

I definitely do. Now I'm saying that without knowing how badly that stabbing incident hurt him, and how serious it really was.

But like Gano last year, I believe Banks this year is falling victim to losers around him....injuries on special teams....and a bad ST coach.

It's hard to be great when you have losers around you, and/or coaching you.

Imagine being Gano on every kick. You would be wondering who is going to block it? Will the snap and placement be decent? And yet he still crushes. That's a great player.

I feel the same about Banks this year.

I'm going to take my usual contrarian position on Beck by witholding judgement on him until I have certain pieces of information I deem necessary.

1.) His performance over a several game period facing a variety of teams with varying capabilities, strengths and weaknesses and systems. The next four games will provide just such a variety-they are dissimilar in styles and schemes with varying levels of defensive strength. Carolina has a relatively weak pass D, Buffalo's pass D is an INT machine, and San Fransisco is one of the toughest overall defensive teams the Redskins will face all season. Miami represents the bottom-feeder teams for judging the ability to maintain pressure on a weak opponent-a necessary component of a good offense.

2.) They are non-divisional opponents. There is an emotional component to divisional games that influences performance more than what might be called "neutral" opposition and makes it more difficult to assess what the norm is for expected performance.

3.) There are both home and away games here as well which adds to the mix. I would like to see relative immunity to venue.

I'm dispensing with his early time in Miami as irrelevant due to time passage, and the difference between the situations, coaching schemes and systems as compared to the Redskins and the Shanahans.

I'm hoping for the best, obviously. I do, however, expect better accuracy and a lowering of the probability of giving the other team the ball via INTs. That's number one. Quicker decision-making under pressure without signs of frenetic panicky high-risk choices is another. Consistency over a full four quarters is the third. I'm not expecting mistake-free football, just enough improvement over what Grossman had displayed to think that experience and continued reps can cause improvement rather that a flat-line of inevitable poor performance.

i think Beck is going to show us why he hasn't been able to get on the field in 5 games. Hope I'm wrong...

I was wrong.

After watching this team today, we could wheel a jugs machine out onto the field and get better production out of the QB position.

The team as a whole, continues to wander in the wilderness.

I was wrong.

After watching this team today, we could wheel a jugs machine out onto the field and get better production out of the QB position.

The team as a whole, continues to wander in the wilderness.

sadly...yes. I have reevaluated...thought 10-6/9-7 was in the realm of the possible. but..like Skins teams for the past 10 years...they are predictable...with known weaknesses that good DCs and OCs exploit.

now thinking 3-13 or 4-12....I kid. but it's gonna be ugly. this team is still being glued together. I agree with folks who argue the coaches ought to concede the obvious (though that runs counter to mindset) and play the young guys now. the vets arn'te doing any good so why not let find out who can play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.