• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

BGO Blind Pig: Week 1 Preseason vs. Carolina Panthers

My recap:

Question 1 : What do you want to see from Wentz?
I wanted to see something different.. I wanted to see an offense that looked different, not necessarily because of scheme, but more because we had a QB with an arm that could open up another aspect of the playbook.

Recap: I think we saw a couple flashes of 'new' stuff. I saw a handful of plays where guards were pulling on running plays. There were a few deep shots. Wentz was 10/13 for 72 yards... his 3 throws that were not completed that would have accounted for an additional 75 yards, and the WR got their hands on all of them. They were on the receiver, but could have been more accurate. They were not completely inaccurate, but need a bit more timing and connection with the WR.

Here is one, a pass attempt to Armani Rodgers down the right sideline. This was an intermediate throw, effortless throw that traveled ~ 30 yards in the air. Nothing 'special' but putting the ball up to see if his guy can make a play... this ball needs to be further outside where the defender can't react

1660486420823.png
1660486616691.png
1660486656726.png

The 2nd incompletion was 100% accurate and got dislodged on a good hit from the defender. Not sure this is the best receiver to throw to, as he's going to get hit hard no matter where you throw it, but he didn't hang him out to dry. It was 100% accurate and where it should be. This was obviously a short throw, and nothing 'special' about it, but it followed something about Wentz I did notice all game... he was not playing hero ball. He was looking for the open guy and taking what he could, when he could... imho.

1660487119520.png

Now to the last incompletion, but the one that got me like "YES!"

Wentz dropped back, pump fakes on a double move, and throws a deep ball to McLaurin along the sideline. Again, effortless throw from the 45 yard line, hardly had to step into it. This ball was clearly inside, and a little short, but it was a shot ball.

1660487577287.png
1660487646140.png

personally I want this ball out HERE where Terry can run under it, but i'll take the play call all day long.

1660487779116.png

The overall answer is I think we saw as much as we could have in the preseason. There were a couple deep'er' throws that you can build on . Wentz played 3-ish series' and the game flow allowed for a couple chances... throws that Wentz made look routine, instead of seeing Heinicke (i love him but it's true) put EVERYTHING he had behind it to try and complete.

Question 2: What ELSE am i watching?

I went secondary... and it was not very impressive. A lot of guys running open including Fuller getting beat across the field on the TD to Higgins. Gotta be better than that or teams are going to be picking us a part all season. One thing about secondary.... Scheme matters, but individual shortcomings are blatant....

Question 3: Who is my preseason darling?

I picked Derrick Forrest. Had a quiet day. Saw his number on special teams, but did not hear his name called once. That can be good or bad. I'm going back through watching the condensed game to see if he stands out anywhere, but I think this is an incomplete. I think he's fighting for a roster spot, and Butler very likely has passed him in snaps already. It's a crowded safety room...

1. What do you want to see from Wentz.
I saw what I expected and wanted to see for the most part. First of all, he looked to be in command of the huddle and the offense. I saw no signs of confusion or uncertainty. He's been in the playbook and it was evident. Most of all - that arm. That ball moves coming out of his hand. There were a couple of throws that ST has already nicely diagrammed that weren't perfect, but perhaps could've been caught...the timing/accuracy was just ever so off. I chalk that up to still getting used to his WRs and also pretty good DB coverage by the Panthers. The best things I saw from Wentz, when balls were slightly off, they were in a position where no one was going to catch it, and his best throws were when he was under pressure. Wentz never looked harried or out of control - Heinicke was the one displaying those qualities yesterday.

2. What else are you most excited to see - non Wentz edition
I think most of us were excited to see what Brian Robinson Jr. could do - and whatever we hoped to see, his performance probably exceeded that. Gibson's starting role is definitely at risk if not already lost. And you saw Robinson take it up even another notch after he replaced Gibson - he know this was his opportunity to start making the case to start and he did just that. I was excited to see JD McKissic back, making some plays, and looking like the guy we were so excited about previously. Curtis Samual is another guy - I stated in the pod that he absolutely had to show he was healthy and right out of the gate, and he may have been our best WR yesterday. That was exciting to see and I hope we continue to see him on the field.

3. Preseason darling. Who were they and did they show out.
Canadian Hog mentioned Dax Milne and he had a good day. I think Brian Robinson Jr. stole the show though. I also thought Phil Mathis looked really good.

That's what I saw :)

Last edited:
I know a lot of folks are going to have Sam Howell on their list. I thought he had his moments, but he also missed some easy throws and looked a lot like a rookie at times, so I'm not going to be as generous as most. Kid has an NFL arm though - I'll give him that!

I saw what I expected and wanted to see for the most part. First of all, he looked to be in command of the huddle and the offense. I saw no signs of confusion or uncertainty. He's been in the playbook and it was evident. Most of all - that arm. That ball moves coming out of his hand. There were a couple of throws that ST has already nicely diagrammed that weren't perfect, but perhaps could've been caught...the timing/accuracy was just ever so off. I chalk that up to still getting used to his WRs and also pretty good DB coverage by the Panthers. The best things I saw from Wentz, when balls were slightly off, they were in a position where no one was going to catch it, and his best throws were when he was under pressure. Wentz never looked harried or out of control - Heinicke was the one displaying those qualities yesterday.

I think most of us were excited to see what James Robinson could do - and whatever we hoped to see, his performance probably exceeded that. Gibson's starting role is definitely at risk if not already lost. And you saw Robinson take it up even another notch after he replaced Gibson - he know this was his opportunity to start making the case to start and he did just that. I was excited to see JD McKissic back, making some plays, and looking like the guy we were so excited about previously. Curtis Samual is another guy - I stated in the pod that he absolutely had to show he was healthy and right out of the gate, and he may have been our best WR yesterday. That was exciting to see and I hope we continue to see him on the field.

Canadian Hog mentioned Dax Milne and he had a good day. I think James Robinson stole the show though. I also thought Phil Mathis looked really good.

That's what I saw :)

See - you guys have got ME doing it too now! Jesus!!!!

Only seen the highlights so far, as far as Wentz, even the 10 yard throws, spiral, tight, on the money, no floating bull slacka. Defense, looked brutal, we got pressure but no good coverage, again only seen the highlights.

So Boone , Canadian Hog , Neophyte , Om - Lets re-visit our 3 questions and how things turned out.... I'm interested to hear each of your reactions to re-visiting these.

Hi Derek,

I will gladly revisit and respond, but have yet to be able to watch the game. I am currently visiting family and my streaming service is giving me a hard time, not allowing me to watch the game for whatever reason. Hoping to be able to get this sorted out soon. Based on what I have read, I am intrigued to see the game.

Hi Derek,

I will gladly revisit and respond, but have yet to be able to watch the game. I am currently visiting family and my streaming service is giving me a hard time, not allowing me to watch the game for whatever reason. Hoping to be able to get this sorted out soon. Based on what I have read, I am intrigued to see the game.

no pressure brother... just love these conversations.. and maybe a little bit of a look ahead to Wednesday... ;)

I said I wanted to see 1) accuracy, and 2) a sense he was "in control" ... making quick reads and getting the ball to the right places.

On the former, I was generally pleased. A couple of balls were just off enough to result in either an incompletion or not allow the receiver to catch in stride and make extra YAC. But, any time you hit 77% of your passes, don't come close to throwing an INT, and the ones you didn't complete were "just off," it's hard to pick nits.

On the latter ... I can't really grade. The "gameplan" clearly wasn't to air it out--witness that the first read on the first half-dozen or so pass plays were designed to go either to Curtis Samuel behind the LOS, or the 4th-string tight end starting because everyone else was inactive. So it's too small a sample size to really grade. But overall to me Carson looked like he knew what he was supposed to do, and did it decisively. Plus (see above for emphasis, he was pretty accurate). He did hold the ball and hesitate a beat too long on one play early, and I thought for sure the Panthers LDE, how had been ridden wide, was going to come back and strip-sack him from behind. But Carson just did get the ball out and completed the pass short right. So, at least for this one time, he gets a no-harm no-foul pass from me.

I wanted to see Brian Robinson (I think that's his name) look like an NFL running back. I did. I'm happy.

I wanted to see Jamin Davis show up, but didn't. Haven't gone back to look at the tape to see what if anything he actually did, so my only complaint is he didn't, you know, show up.

Also wanted to see St. Juste, but don't believe he suited up.

My prediction for what we'd be talking about after the game illustrated why I don't work in professional football or bet on sports. Ever. I said we'd be talking about the defense swarming and flying around in response to all the talk about JDR, and the disappointment of last season, etc. What I had forgotten is that JDR appears to treat the preseason as an inconvenience. Not sure I've ever seen a more vanilla "scheme" from an NFL team, preseason or not. We pretty much lined up in a straight 4-2-5 all day long--no stunting, no sliding, no run or pass blitzes--and just reacted to whatever the offense did. And got the predictable results.

I think I know WHY he wants to approach preseason that way ... watch how guys read/react, how they tackle ... not "show" one damn thing to anyone watching film ... and, maybe, that he's been doing this long enough to think he knows what he does/doesn't need his guys to do in preseason to be ready for the season opener. Personally, I think there should be a balance. Particularly recalling how last year, it took his unit half the season to actually get going. I'd like to see SOME aggressiveness in preseason, some attacking, to try to get the guys sparked and on the same page, maybe disrupt what the other team is doing rather than just chasing them, maybe give old fans at home a straw to grasp and walk away thinking that, yet again, we can't really pressure the passer, can't really cover anybody, and oh shit I think I've seen this movie before.

Well, at least we get to go against Patrick Holmes next week, so that should help.

I thought it was going to be the 6'8' TE Curtis Hodges, who had shown spunk and athleticism in practice, and appeared in line to benefit from all the missing TE's this week. He ended up with three catches, for a total of 11 yards and, well, really didn't impact anything. Plus he looked really thin out there to me. I know 6'8" guys tend to be that, but in my head I was picturing more Karl Malone than Bobby Dandridge. Yeah, I'm old.

Other notes:

I am on record as not really liking Sam Howell. I am not liking him less now.

I am on record as not being a big fan of the move to get Carson Wentz. I am feeling a little better about that today as well. The Wentz-o-Meter awaits.

Did I mention I'm not a fan of JDR's philosophy of using the preseason to frustrate and worry Washington fans by doing ... absolutely ... nothing?

Don't care that we "lost" the "game." Do care that after spending most of it looking like it was just another off-season practice, generally being looking flat and disinterested, the team showed some spark and fight down the stretch. In real time it looked to me like Sam Howell was the one who lit the fuse.

So, I walk away from week one feeling like we're, at the very least, about where I thought we'd be. A team with the potential to be competitive.

Last edited:
I do kind of like that they waited to pullWentz in even though it was the first game. I think it mattered that he got to lead a scoring drive.

Reactions: Om
I mean my only response to that would be, we’re looking at a sky cam view in slo-mo. If NFL RBs had that perspective and view, every 3rd rush would be to the house. In real time at ground level is an entirely different thing.

I originally had Jamin Davis on my negative list but then watched the game again and focused on him. I then removed him from that list. He didn’t flash at all during the live game, which is what I was hoping for, but in the replay I saw some positives.

1. He looked much more comfortable with his assignments and never stared down Holcomb for assurance or direction.
2. He was in position and did a nice job filling the holes (I assume) that he was supposed to in the run game.
3. He looked good when dropping into coverage and looked comfortable doing so.
4. He is not a budding star but he is not a Mayo either.

I mean my only response to that would be, we’re looking at a sky cam view in slo-mo. If NFL RBs had that perspective and view, every 3rd rush would be to the house. In real time at ground level is an entirely different thing.

I agree... but this one looks relatively easy to read, even pre-snap when the motion moved all the defenders in the box to the left side of the hashmarks. I just wonder how much of these keys continue to be missed on Gibson, when guys like Robinson or McKissic (life long RBs) would have picked up on it.

This guy did point this out, and he's right... Gibson is facing damn near straight at the sideline... so a cut back may have not been a part of the game plan

When Gibson first takes the ball, he secures the initial handoff with 2 hands, but as he approaches a 1 Ton pile of men, he lets go of 1 hand.
I've never played football at a high level, and never been a coach, so I'm no expert. But it seems like in that situation especially, the least you do is cover with 2 hands.
I mean you may not have to use 2 hands all the time. But it seems like, if there was a time to do it, this would be it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.