• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Back Shoulder Fade - A Season to Remember, in a Year Worth Forgetting

Back Shoulder Fade with picture.png

By Derek Gardner

A Season to Remember, in a Year Worth Forgetting​

It’s December 30th, 2020 and the Washington Football Team is staring down the barrel of an NFC East Division title with total control of their own destiny. Not many people can claim they saw this coming and it be the truth. In fact, we were supposed to be picking around the top 5, and a lot of people thought we would be in contention for Trevor Lawrence at no. 1 overall. Welp….

This team is aligned with a matchup against the Philadelphia Eagles, a team they’ve already beat this year. A team that is starting a rookie QB, Jalen Hurtz. A team that has already been eliminated from contention. Will they play their starters? Will they look to get everyone out alive? Does it matter? I’ll get back to that in a minute.

To understand exactly how unlikely this scenario is, I think a total picture needs to be painted.

December 29, 2019 – Washington is defeated 47 – 16 by the Dallas Cowboys in the final game of a 3 – 13 season. At this point we have no HC. We have no GM. We have no direction.

December 31, 2019 – Ron Rivera is announced as the next Head Coach of the Washington Redskins. The team is going to take a ‘coach centric’ approach, and all things football will pass through Ron Rivera. He has first say, final say, the buck stops here.

Today marks 1 year from the shift we experienced that has been followed by events that nobody would consider to be an easy road. We’ve had Ron Rivera diagnosed (and deemed free from) cancer. We’ve had a national movement against our team name resulting in it ultimately being retired and rebranded. We’ve seen MULTIPLE allegations of wrong doing against our owner including sexual misconduct, these same allegations resulting in the dismissal of multiple high ranking members of the front office. This subsequently shifting the front office in a whole new direction bringing us the likes of Jason Wright and Julie Donaldson. In early August as the season approaches, we then get rocked with the news that our fan beloved RB has committed an act of domestic violence and has been arrested. He was quickly released. We had our All Pro LT speak out against our franchise, essentially demanding a trade, and our Pro Bowl CB that has greatly underachieved has found himself no longer owning the confidence of the HC that drafted him. Neither guy is still here. We also had our All Pro SS go down with an Achilles injury, benched our 1st round QB (twice) and watched our 2nd string QB destroy his ankle.

We then saw Alex Smith, who in his own right has overcome one of the most devastating injuries experience by a professional athlete, make his back onto the field when very few… ahem, me, ahem.. people ever thought it was even possible. Oh yeah… there’s that pesky little thing call Covid, that has taken rocked our entire planet while forcing our team to work without an offseason, in person meetings, training camp, or preseason, and has greatly reduced the ability for these players to get together. We then watched our 1st round pick QB completely destroy his own career, and he happens to be currently walking the streets.

To say that we have had our fair share of obstacles would not be doing the situation justice. But here we are. Here… we… are. How did we get here? I would be remiss if I didn’t bring up some of the SHINING spots that have emerged to get us here. Chase Young, potential Defensive Rookie of the Year. Antonio Gibson, potential Offensive Rookie of the Year if he doesn’t get turf toe. Kendall Fuller, Ronald Darby, Terry McLaurin, The whole defensive line, Logan Thomas, Alex Smith, Kyle Smith! In no particular order. Does anyone here know who John Matsko is? That’s our O-line coach. That guy deserves as much credit as anyone does. He’s taken a group and stuck them together with bubble gum and duct tape, turning them into a serviceable unit. A unit that is not a liability… not a strength! But not a liability.

Statistically on defense we have one of the better units in football! 4th in total Yards per game. 3rd in Passing and 12th in Rushing. 5th in Points per game. Jack Del Rio… atta boy! 6th in total sacks, 3rd in opposing QBR, 7th in 3rd down %, 14th in Time of Possession! We were DEAD LAST in TOP last season on defense, just sayin. We have an identity. Something we’ve been missing for a long time. We have plenty of room for improvement on Offense, but you can’t fix THIS team in 1 offseason, but if you can get this close to fixing 1 side of the ball? We have a plan!

Back to that little thing of a game we have this upcoming weekend against the Eagles. The Eagles have lost 6 of their last 7 games including just getting blown out by the team we beat down twice this year (haha Cowboys). We are not only looking at a game we ‘need’ to win in order to move on, we’re looking at a game we ‘should’ win. This, THIS is the true test for Rivera and co. In years past, we’ve lost this game. The team has come out flat, and we’ve failed to show up. We’ve watched our season disappear to a team that we have no reason to lose to. We fall victim to the team playing spoiler. Someday they may write a book, do a 30 for 30, or make a movie about the ‘2020 Washington Football Team and hopefully, Sunday is just another chapter of a season to remember, in a year worth forgetting.

Last edited:
Nicely done brother. It has, indeed, been a long, strange trip for this team this year.

One quick thing to add about the success of the defense ... they've done it without any consistent offensive success to lean on. They have been on the field a LOT, week in and week out, and still seem to come up with key stops and turnovers that keep us in games. And it's hard to recall many times this year they have had an actual lead to play with ... it's scary to think how good they might have been statistically had they been able to really attack offenses in games their own offense was putting real points on the board.

JDR definitely has some horses to run with up front, but he also deserves a lot of credit for turning them into a professional defense as quickly as he has.

Washington has started to assemble the nucleus of a contending team. It needs to be rounded out with additional high value selections in 2021 and targeted additions in free agency but I see some of those key players now that we have not had in the past to build around.

Remember when Joe Gibbs came here he depended upon a core of players George Allen and Beathard/Pardee had collected - John Riggins, Joe Theismann, Mark Moseley, Dave Butz, Monte Coleman, Don Warren, Tony Peters - that would be standouts during the run to Super Bowl 17?

Chase Young, Terry McLaurin, Daron Payne, Montez Sweat, Antonio Gibson, Kendall Fuller, and even a late bloomer like TE Logan Thomas all appear as if they can be part of something we haven't seen here in a long time.

My one concern is that Ron may go conservative at QB and continue on with Kyle Allen and Alex Smith and not 'stretch' to acquire a top level passer.

To me the NFC East is in transition and with a bold move at QB Washington can leapfrog these other teams for some time to come.

What would I do?

Make a move to weaken a division rival and strengthen yourself - sign Dak Prescott if he hits free agency.

Dallas is projected to be way over the cap in 2021 and Jones miscalculated in paying his running back and wide receiver elite money but trying to get his quarterback to sign a deal for less than Kirk Cousins is getting.

Prescott has to be fed up with the Cowboys' approach. He was well on his way to a pro bowl season in 2020 when he was injured and he's only 27.

Dallas can't afford to franchise him a second time.

With the Jags and Jets slated to pick at the top of the draft order the other team with a ton of cap space is Washington.

And that will only grow if Ryan Kerrigan and several other veterans are not retained.

Meanwhile, the Giants are still trying to find out what they have in Daniel Jones (whom I think was overdrafted in a weak class in 2019), the Eagles are playing Jalen Hurts but still owe Carson Wentz $80M and Dallas would be starting Andy Dalton (?) with a younger draft pick behind him.

Great look at a crazy season, not just in DC, but fir all the NFC East teams. To add to @Om’s point about about the defense, it’s not just our ability to shut down drives when it’s needed. The 2020 WFT defense is capable of flipping the field, taking the ball away from the opponent multiple times a game, and even scoring.

The last time we saw those kinds of big plays from a burgundy and gold defense, coaches named Gregg and Joe and players named Sean were on the sidelines and field. Add in a healthy Collins and Ionnadis and a stud LB or two and this D could be dominant for years.

As for this game?

Show me.

We all know what we should expect to see. We’ve seen it too many times before. This one won’t be about players, not even about who is under center (as precarious and uncertain as that position is).

This one is going to be about Rivera and Turner and Del Rio. Will they have our guys ready to go? Will they create a game plan that shuts down the ‘No hats!’ spoiler bravado coming out of Philly in a hurry on Sunday night? Will out guys come out and dominate a team when it matters most?

Recent history argues ‘no’.

If Rivera and friends have really started to change the culture of this franchise, Sunday night would be a helluva time to show it.

Show me.

if only the back shoulder fade the play worked as well as the back shoulder fade blog does.

great write up, brother.

It's a tall order playing not only your backup but your #4 quarterback on the year and expecting to win.

The other teams in the division have lousy records too but Dallas has Dalton, Philly has Hurts and the Giants have McCoy and those were the top backups these teams started the season with and were counting on.

Nobody was counting on Heinicke.

I hope the team wins, but pulling a guy from his couch who was studying for finals to play in the NFL is like Alabama going to a JV squad to get a guy to play in a bowl game :eek:

yet we are still here... controlling our own destiny. 1 win away from the division.

wasn't Kurt Warner bagging groceries before he went to the Rams?

Yeah, it can happen. So, why not us?

Obviously the Cowboys were very smart to grab Dalton. Chances were, he was never going to see the field, but then the injury. In retrospect, at least in terms of still being 'in it' in Week 17, it was a very savvy pickup. Not like he has been dominant this season, the Cowboys have struggled like the rest of the NFC East. But he's got all the experience you could ever want at QB. McCoy is one tackle away from IR - always. I love Colt, but he's never been able to be consistent and he doesn't scare me. And Jalen Hurts? I didn't think he was much of a college QB and I don't think he's the future in Philly either. He's a great athlete, but I don't know why you'd consider him any better a QB than Heinicke? Based on what?

Well, my point was that the other backup qbs were with the clubs from the start of the offseason work and were not only familiar with the offenses but with the skill players they have on offense. In each case, the Head Coach signed or drafted these players as clear CHOICES to stand behind the starters.

Here Rivera probably didn't even know Heinicke existed back when he took this job. His 'backup' options on opening day of Kyle Allen and Alex Smith were much better than many teams' depth options.

But the injuries to BOTH is unusual. In a year when many teams have lost starting qbs for a few games or even the season, to be down two passers is not that common.

I agree that Kurt Warner and Tony Romo (both undrafted) show you can sometimes find gold nuggets in the 'river'.

But in both cases Warner and Romo were in training camp with the Rams and Cowboys and Vermeil/Parcells had a chance to evaluate them and see they had talent that others had overlooked or simply failed to see.

When Trent Green got hurt in 1999 and was out for the season a LOT of people were wondering what trade Vermeil was going to make to acquire a veteran quarterback. Vermeil said he had trust in Kurt Warner and I remember NFL media people crushing him for that.

But Vermeil knew what he was talking about because he had seen him in camp over a 4-5 week period.

Heinicke has essentially been evaluated on the 'fly' for two weeks on the practice squad and in a quarter and a half of actual game experience here.

That's called taking a wing and a prayer at a critical time :behindsofa:

Well, my point was that the other backup qbs were with the clubs from the start of the offseason work and were not only familiar with the offenses but with the skill players they have on offense. In each case, the Head Coach signed or drafted these players as clear CHOICES to stand behind the starters.

Here Rivera probably didn't even know Heinicke existed back when he took this job. His 'backup' options on opening day of Kyle Allen and Alex Smith were much better than many teams' depth options.

But the injuries to BOTH is unusual. In a year when many teams have lost starting qbs for a few games or even the season, to be down two passers is not that common.

I agree that Kurt Warner and Tony Romo (both undrafted) show you can sometimes find gold nuggets in the 'river'.

But in both cases Warner and Romo were in training camp with the Rams and Cowboys and Vermeil/Parcells had a chance to evaluate them and see they had talent that others had overlooked or simply failed to see.

When Trent Green got hurt in 1999 and was out for the season a LOT of people were wondering what trade Vermeil was going to make to acquire a veteran quarterback. Vermeil said he had trust in Kurt Warner and I remember NFL media people crushing him for that.

But Vermeil knew what he was talking about because he had seen him in camp over a 4-5 week period.

Heinicke has essentially been evaluated on the 'fly' for two weeks on the practice squad and in a quarter and a half of actual game experience here.

That's called taking a wing and a prayer at a critical time :behindsofa:

You know Heinicke played for Rivera and Turner in Carolina right? All but 1 of his NFL snaps were for Rivera in Carolina in 2018

Rivera also CHOSE Kyle Allen to be the backup behind Haskins (and subsequently Smith) til Allen dislocated his ankle.

Heinicke was not evaluated on the fly, they brought him in to be the covid emergency and kept him away from the team as an emergency option BECAUSE he knew the system and did not need to be in the meeting rooms physically... he could do it virtually. Then Smith's injury happened and was clearly worse than anticipated so things changed.

Yes, Kyle Allen was traded for. He was expected to be a contributor.

My point though is back in September the EXPECTATION was that Haskins-Allen-Smith would be the 2020 quarterbacks just as Dalton, Hurts and McCoy were listed as depth behind starters for the other NFC East teams.

What seems to get lost was that I was CREDITING the staff with being able to stay competitive with the most up and down quarterback situation in the division over 16 games :giggle:

Heinicke was only added late in the process and was on a non-football track studying in school.

Yes, Kyle Allen was traded for. He was expected to be a contributor.

My point though is back in September the EXPECTATION was that Haskins-Allen-Smith would be the 2020 quarterbacks just as Dalton, Hurts and McCoy were listed as depth behind starters for the other NFC East teams.

What seems to get lost was that I was CREDITING the staff with being able to stay competitive with the most up and down quarterback situation in the division over 16 games :giggle:

Heinicke was only added late in the process and was on a non-football track studying in school for many weeks.

it got lost because your post read like the coaching staff did not have the same forethought of the other members of our division.

It's also a rarity to see you credit the team for anything :)

He was a contributor. Allen can't help what happened to his leg.

that's not correct, Silent Threat.

In another thread I credited the team with assembling a young core of talent that will make this club a contender in the future. And among those players are ones of high character and good worth ethic, things that Danny Boy and Bruce didn't seem to think were important in past years. Those are credits to Kyle Smith and Ron Rivera.

Meanwhile, I have mentioned many times that NFL media seemed to be blaming Ron Rivera for the handling of various issues including the Trent situation and the status of Dwayne Haskins when in fact Rivera inherited those 'problems' (my words) and was only trying to get a resolution to get past them and move the team forward.

that's not correct, Silent Threat.

In another thread I credited the team with assembling a young core of talent that will make this club a contender in the future. And among those players are ones of high character and good worth ethic, things that Danny Boy and Bruce didn't seem to think were important in past years. Those are credits to Kyle Smith and Ron Rivera.

Meanwhile, I have mentioned many times that NFL media seemed to be blaming Ron Rivera for the handling of various issues including the Trent situation and the status of Dwayne Haskins when in fact Rivera inherited those 'problems' (my words) and was only trying to get a resolution to get past them and move the team forward.

I know i'm just giving you a hard time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.