• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Assemble Your "All-Time" Redskins/WFT Draft Class

Canadian Hog

2019 BGO Ballers Champ
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
With the draft approaching, I thought it would be a great time to take a look back at a little Redskins/WFT draft history.

If you are up to it, your task is to assemble your ultimate Redskins/WFT draft class.

Task Description:

1. Imagine you were given the keys to the franchise and had to start the WFT from the ground up tomorrow.

2. You can go back and assemble a full draft class of former/current players (Rounds 1 - 7). In total, you will select 7 players.

3. You can only select players for each round based on where they were actually taken in their draft year. For example, Chase Young, Mark May and Art Monk are all former 1st round picks for our team; however, you can only take one former first rounder to start your new franchise. The same goes for rounds 2 through 7. So, this exercise does not become as simple as saying "I am going to take Chase, Sean, Art, Darrell, etc..." You need to examine the history of each round for our franchise carefully.

4. Since past NFL drafts had more than 7 rounds, I will make one exception for the rules of this activity. For your 7th round pick, it does not need to necessarily be someone the 'Skins selected in Round 7. It can be, but it may also be one guy who was selected beyond round 7.

If you need a reference point to help you make your selections, use the link below which contains a detailed list of all past drafts for the Redskins/WFT:

Have fun with the activity. I think it will be great to compare everyone's strategies and lists!

Great thread idea! We need a worst draft version too :)

I'll take a run at this:

1st Round - 1937 Sammy Baugh, QB
2nd Round - 1964 Paul Krause, DB
3rd Round - 1983 Charles Mann, DE
4th Round - 1978 Don Warren, TE
5th Round - 1990 Brian Mitchell, RB
6th Round - 2012 Alfred Morris, RB
7th Round and Beyond - 1936 Wayne Millner, End

Btw - we've had a couple great 4th rounders over our history, but by comparison, that round has been a dry, fruitless, pathetic desert!

Round 1 - Darrell Green (DB): lock down the opposing team's #1 wideout for the next 10 to 12 years without worry.
Round 2 - Jon Jansen (T): provide good stability on the right side of the offensive line and begin the process of establishing a sense of toughness and attitude in the trenches.
Round 3 - Russ Grimm (G): surprisingly, the third round had a few gems throughout our history and I had a particularly tough choice here. I really wanted to take Charles Mann, but the combination of Grimm and Jansen could really provide some long term stability on the offensive line.
Round 4 - Stephen Davis (RB): Grimm and Jansen provide nastiness in the trenches. Plug in some power with Stephen Davis at an offensive skill position and teams will be afraid to tackle us come the 4th quarter of games.
Round 5 - Dexter Manley (DE): having focussed on the offense in the last three rounds, it's time to pay attention to the defensive line and put some pressure on the opposing QB. Dexter gives you just that!
Round 6 - Mark Rypien (QB): I am going to use a sixth round flyer on a QB who can potentially develop into an efficient starter down the road.
Round 7 / Beyond: Monte Coleman (LB): When extending this choice to the 7th round and beyond, it actually becomes a bit tricky, as there were some key players taken at this stage that made real contributions to our franchise's success over the years. For me, Monte Coleman was one of these guys. A winner who brought sandpaper and a real workman's attitude to our defense.

Jansen was a good player who looked a lot better because he played on some bad teams imho. He wouldn’t even make my top 3 for that round, but that’s the beauty of exercises line this - everyone brings a different perspective. I almost went with Rypien and Stephen Davis... nice

I did not try to 'fill out a roster', I just looked for the best player (imho) obtained in each round.

Agreed Boone. I suppose to an extent age factors into this as well. I'm 41 and I will admit that many of the players I selected were guys that I had the opportunity to watch over the years, or experience during my youth. As an example, Paul Krause was very likely a much more impactful player on our team compared to a guy like Jansen, but for a guy like me, I'm relying on what I've read or historical highlights to know much about him. Regardless, I am really curious to see everybody's approach to assembling a draft class with which to "start the franchise." As an example, you took the franchise QB with your first pick, while I elected to take a DB...I'm fascinated by this kind of stuff in the real NFL and the different perspectives/approaches that teams take. It will be cool to see how fans approach it too.

THIS. IS. AWESOME!!!

I am doing just 'best picks' not necessarily building a team... may do the other later.

1st Round: Sammy Baugh - 1937 - Only HOF QB we have ever drafted. Kind of pains me to not take Monk or Green here though
2nd Round: Paul Krause - 1964 - HOF DB
3rd Round: Russ Grimm - 1981 - HOF Guard
4th Round: Don Warren - 1979
5th Round: Brian Mitchell - 1990 - Not known for his offense but the first REAL Special Teams weapon at one point was the highest in all purpose yards in league HISTORY (Should be in the HOF)
6th Round: Alfred Morris - 2012 - 6k Rusher that was part of the best rookie tandem this franchise has ever seen
>7th round: Monte Coleman - 1979 - Dude played 215 games including all of our SB wins

Was tempted to go ST but just couldn’t justify it.

Was tempted to go ST but just couldn’t justify it.

same here, Not a knock against ST, but more the fact that we took Sammy Baugh in the 1st. He revolutionized the game and is the only HOF QB we've ever drafted. Had ST been able to play out his career he likely pushes Baugh because he would have likely been in the convo for best ever...

1. Sean Taylor
2. Paul Krause
3. Russ Grimm
4. Jamison Crowder
5. Brian Mitchell
6. Mark Rypien
7. Chris Hanburger (18)

Hanburger is a great one.

I was surprised by your Crowder pick - that's a stretch for me...

It’s because scanning that list our 4th rounders are hot garbage as a whole. Only a few notable names to me.

In the last two seasons he’s averaging 700+ yards and 6td’s per. I’d take that production from a 4th rounder, considering

Yeah - 4th round hasn't been amazing for us, has it.

Great idea for a thread!

Starting a franchise eh? To be fair I'll have to stick to guys I actually saw play. Sorry Sammy. I'll also skip guys who are still playing for now.

Round 1- Darrell Green - My heart tells me to go with Art Monk here but Green’s value as a lock-down DB can’t be underestimated. He’d probably be even MORE valuable to the team today than he was 30 years ago. Honorable mention goes to Mark May, Charlie Taylor (who I barely remember playing), Trent Williams (hate the way he left), Chris Samuels and LaVar Arrington.

Round 2 - Gary Clark – He was taken in the 2nd round in the supplemental draft so it counts. I’m shocked at how bad the Skins have been historically in the 2nd round over the years. It’s really remarkable. Chip Lohmiller and Jon Jansen were the only other possibilities but Clark ran away with it for me.

Round 3 – Russ Grimm – Russ is my choice although a very good case can be made for Charles Mann. Grimm could make any O line legit. Lots of good but not great guys here: Chris Cooley, Jordan Reed

Round 4 – Don Warren - This was a tough one. Donnie’s stats don’t add up to anything all that impressive but he was an important part of the team’s success for 14 years and 3 Super Bowls. Sometimes stats don’t tell the whole story. Stephen Davis was the only other possible for me. He had a nice 3 year run here and was a hammer.

Round 5 – Dexter Manley – Dexter had his demons but he could get after the QB. Brian Mitchell is a legit choice here too. Brian played with a chip on his shoulder and could do a little bit of everything. Good teams have guys like this on their roster. It would be hard to pass Dex over though.

Round 6 – Mark Rypien – He won a Super Bowl here so he gets this one almost by default. Alfred Morris? Nice player and a guy you could root for but not an all time guy for me. Talk to me after his new contract is up and I might add Chase Roullier to this round.

Round 7 – Monte Coleman (11th rounder) – This was the hardest one to pick. Monte was solid as a rock. I doubt anyone who watched him play can fault this pick too much. Still, there are so many good possible choices here that I hate to pass on any of them: Joe Jacoby (undrafted), Raleigh McKenzie (11th round), Chris Hanburger (18th round), Neal Olkewicz (undrafted), George Starke “Holding #74…..” (11th round), Mark Schlereth (10th round), Darryl Grant (9th round).

Certainly no one can argue with that list - all classics who epitomize the Skins glory days.

Yeah - 4th round hasn't been amazing for us, has it.

The sad thing is that if we hadn't floundered the Kirk Cousins situation (not trying to re-open that wound and no I never wanted to pay him what he got in Minnesota) he would be our all time passing leader right now with his current numbers. I almost picked him but he's not a career Redskins / WFT player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.