• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Are you being sued without even knowing? Scam

gbear

The Rookie
Reaction score
Alma Mater
St. Mary's
I hate scams. Some woman left a message on our home phone saying to call 1.855.287.7078 to settle pending civil suit. She said her offer is only good until I am served by a process server or sheriff. She does say on the message NCW Inc., but it's unclear who they are in the suit.

All kinds of warning bells in my head, not the least of which is wondering for what they could say I owed them . Looked up phone number on Google, and there are quite a few people saying what I suspected, "fishing scam." Still, it's a new approach I hadn't seen. So I thought I would warn others to beware giving any personal information or heaven forbid "settling out of court" where you have to pay. lol

I am trying to decide whether to forward to state legal offices.

I have dealt with the same thing on 3 different occasions now. Nothing will ever come of it, and I always just say ok, send the Sheriff to serve me then. Not sure you could do anything about it legally, because they don't give up valid information.

I wasn't sure if the state's attorney's office should be aware of scam or not. Of course it is probably across state lines which probably puts it on the federal level. I would think the lines could be shut down or blocked to prevent further misuse.

I'm no legal expert, but I'm pretty sure if it was legit, it would be done in writing, not a phone call. So I think the biggest warning sign is that it's through the telephone. That being said, I would call them back and tell them to go **** themselves.

I'm no legal expert, but I'm pretty sure if it was legit, it would be done in writing, not a phone call. So I think the biggest warning sign is that it's through the telephone. That being said, I would call them back and tell them to go **** themselves.
It's not always that simple. I have had it happen to me 3 times. The first time, the caller ID displayed a 5 digit number that read 00-000. The second time, I called the number on the caller ID, and they wanted my SSN before they would talk (do people really fall for that crap?), and the third time the number displayed said unavailable.

The funniest thing is, these places seem to always claim they are calling about a bad check you wrote. Funny for me, because I haven't written a check in over a decade, and my calls all came in the past year or so. Naturally when I tell them to send the Sheriff out, nobody ever shows.

I was a little reluctant to call back at least from home because there are times where contact can signify an agreement or admission. I remember a while back there was a telephone scam where the call back switched telephone services and racked up huge phone bills. Notice how now many of those switches require a second confirmation which usually involves a third party witness? I think the legal requirement stems from those scams. Still, I remain hesitant to call from house phone. I did consider calling from work :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.