• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Apology Thread

feedback & tech support

busy 24/7

I think we're on to something here!... :) .....

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

I, for one, find heated discussions thoroughly entertaining. If one chooses to expose their hot buttons to strangers on the interwebz, then they should expect to have them pushed on occasion. It's the risk you take. Suck it up and learn to play with the big boys.

Just as the Bully only learns from getting smacked in the mouth, ones attitudes have a better chance of being changed by getting cut up in a good verbal fencing match, than they do just playing patty-fingers. Oh, they won't admit it online, but if it changes how they think in the real world, then, doesn't that serve the better good?

Of course, we could all just hold hands, sing songs, and admire the little trophy everyone gets, regardless of how well, or poorly, we play the game.

Booooorrrrrring!

I say we keep the BGO Staff busy 24/7. That's why they get the big bucks.:)

I find it quite illuminating that you don't get it.

Your cute little discourse above is the epitome of the problem. Very thinly-veiled insults directed toward anyone that you disagree with does absolutely nothing to make this a good community or a better place.

I find it quite illuminating that you don't get it.

Your cute little discourse above is the epitome of the problem. Very thinly-veiled insults directed toward anyone that you disagree with does absolutely nothing to make this a good community or a better place.

I have to agree. And I'm part of the problem at points, but I'm trying not to be.

As most everyone knows, I go to numerous other team fan forums just to see what the "NFL fan world" is thinking about things.

One thing I've noticed is that quite a few of them have a dedicated places-occasionally with warning caveats attached-for not just political dscussions but quite often a multitude of subjects, everything from tastes in movies and music to politics, cooking or just anything at all. Quite often these are no-holds-barred free-for-alls, with little moderation but these are usually coupled with caveats warning visitors what they'll find in there.

However, most of these sites also, when the talk gets to football or in areas without the dedicated "free-for-all" atmosphere, are more disciplined in what the owners and mods will tolerate-hijacking a football thread, or any of the "let's be reasonably polite here" threads for a "I'm getting on my personal political/social/religious/whatever my favorite pet peeve agenda is soapbox now" will quite likely earn the miscreant a temporary "vacation." I believe these sites do this in order to accomodate both those who like the open-ended let's have at it formats along with those who prefer a more...lets say..sedate, measured, rational discussion mode.

I will make no bones about the fact that I am firmly among the latter in my personal preferences-for most discussions, that is. I can however, jump into a no-holds-barred, lets-have at it snark session and with my love of sarcasm, and pointed jibes I actually enjoy it at times.

My big however is this. I would like the ability to choose.

I came here because the owners here had built a site, The Noosphere, which attracted me because of the level of intellect, open-mindedness, friendly and quite often amazingly deep discussions about a very wide variety of subjects-all done with respect, consideration and tolerance for disagreement without animosity.

When they announced they were building a Redskins fan site I was immediately intrigued. I have not been a "social" fan due to being geographically distant from D.C. and, yes, I knew about the existence of online fan forums but after visiting decided I didn't like what I encountered so never joined.

I guess what I'm saying is, I have a "time and place for everything" perspective-I would like to know that if I join a thread with the expectation that it will mostly stay somewhat close to being on-topic(no thread ever does that completely successfully-I accept that) and won't digress too much or be totally derailed into an innuendo-slinging "slap-fight" that that expectation won't be totally crushed. If I go on a thread that I already know is liable to wind up damn near anywhere else-that's cool too because I know to expect the unexpected.

And, hoping the owners here will forgive this one-time fan forum comparison and putting it rather bluntly, the reasons I am a member at BGO are the same reasons I am not a member of ES.

Ban him!

:)

Couldn't have said it better myself Serv.

<mental note to self: next time you want to say something, run it by Serv first>

Ax, to address your post, I may not have explained myself well enough. It's not that I desire sedate, un-impassioned, dare-I-say boring debate. I think we need to remember that some people are put off by insults and direct, personal attacks. As this site gets larger and attracts more members, I would suspect we will see more of this, which is unfortunate. If we can set a good example for the new folks, showing them through our actions that personal attacks are not what we are about, I see this site growing exponentially. Having perused the Noosphere from time to time (with the conclusion I ain't THAT smart), I agree with Serv completely. There is a place for rational, reasoned, spirited debate that does not resort to name calling and insults.

And again, I know I am part of the problem.

Reading everyone's reaction and responses in this thread confirms for me the idea that FS and Serv put forth. A free for all section with warnings seems like the way to go.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

It was fine before them...those of us who are here for community and the Skins would stay...damn straight I would.

Truth. I love this place. I belong to ES, but visit infrequently at best. No where else for me. I love it here.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

we could come up with more original things to discuss besides rehashing the same ol arguments "obama did this" "conservatives did this"...it gets to be that when i see a political thread I know by the person's name who posted last what the theme is going to be.

Or pick out any current one and leave it standing as the sole political thread representative.

It wouldn't negatively impact anything, they all end up at the same place anyway.

we could come up with more original things to discuss besides rehashing the same ol arguments "obama did this" "conservatives did this"...it gets to be that when i see a political thread I know by the person's name who posted last what the theme is going to be.

we should try and refrain from it if possible IMO. there is enough out there in the world "such as my magical thread about Juan" :) that we dont need to keep going in the same circle.

disagreee....the arguments on 5 O'Clock have always been paper thin. You know "click these URLS....see?" please point to one discussion...EVER...that actually analyzed current monetary policy...for example...in any depth.

Everyone knows how the emotional currents run in these threads: hear what you want to hear......pout when you don't....or PM the admins......

Have to admit the idea is intriguing.

The "kinder gentler" vision we had, and still have, for BGO definitely has its place. If for no other reason that there is no OTHER place we've found trying to fill that void.

But the Wild West aspect of the web is undeniably a powerful draw as well.

Let's just say for the sake of argument we were going to create a no-holds-barred forum. We'd need a name for it.

Couple ideas bouncing around the ol' noggin ...

Live Fire

Screamatorium

Ye Who Enter Here ...

Pendulum Pending

The Dark Side

**** Off!

... let's hear yours.

Have to admit the idea is intriguing.

The "kinder gentler" vision we had, and still have, for BGO definitely has its place. If for no other reason that there is no OTHER place we've found trying to fill that void.

But the Wild West aspect of the web is undeniably a powerful draw as well.

Let's just say for the sake of argument we were going to create a no-holds-barred forum. We'd need a name for it.

Couple ideas bouncing around the ol' noggin ...

Live Fire

Screamatorium

Ye Who Enter Here ...

Pendulum Pending

The Dark Side

**** Off!

... let's hear yours.

The I'm Right...You're Wrong Room

The Thin Skin Room

The No Nads Room

The I Don't Know What I'm Talking About Room

The I Need to be Reassured Room

The Ankle Deep Room

The Look at My URLs Room

The Small Aperture Room

The Out of My Element Room

The I Need to Feel Good Room

The Bend the Group to My Will Room

The Don't Want to Hear It Room

The Kiddy Room

The Screw it...Let's Talk Skins and Bag This BS Room

Someone's passive-aggressive gland runneth over. ;)

The " I Disapprove of What you Say But Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Go **** Yourself" thread?

Agreed.

Kudos, China, the name is perfect.

And yes, I will pop in from time to time.

Prepare yourselves.
19.gif

So let it be written. So let it be done!

Do you see what I see? I'm sure the rules will be set forth very soon.

:)

the back and forth and beating of dead horses is rampant. its draining and you always know if a political thread goes more than 2 pages its just rhetoric.

I agree...and dead horse beating occurs precisely because there is no real depth!

we are of one mind!

We're going to give this little experiment a try. Interesting thing is, for those who thing everyone should just grow some thicker skin, having an unmoderated forum is going to make it more necessary, not less. And it'll also encourage guys who are beating the hell out of each other politically, to set those differences aside in other areas of the site. They should be doing that anyway, right?

I think this is a win-win. We staff can actually enjoy the site again - because short of someone threatening to kill someone in that forum, we can choose to read those threads or not - but we won't have to referee those threads anymore.

I don't see a downside. But we'll see :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.