• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Apology Thread

I apologize for keeping ridiculous arguments going... you may or may not have realized this, but I have a problem letting go sometimes. :D
Well sir, I do believe we suffer from the same disorder :D

Look, we're not going to have a group hug type of thing are we? Ugh! Please, anything but a group hug.

:)
Seriously, some people get a boner from simple human contact. With a group of dudes, that could get real awkward real fast. :laugh:

I apologize for keeping ridiculous arguments going... you may or may not have realized this, but I have a problem letting go sometimes. :D

And El, you can drive me home ANYTIME. ;)

do you have that choice?!!!!

I kid. I kid...speaking of letting things go!!!

Funny considering the hard-on you have for the President. :)

I could make the obvious joke about the Prez with this as a lead in....but in this new environment of sensitivity and kindness aforethought...I'll refrain. see it can be done! I've been cured! I've been cured!

end the political room - only realistic path!

I could make the obvious joke about the Prez with this as a lead in....but in this new environment of sensitivity and kindness aforethought...I'll refrain....see it can be done! I'ver been cured! I've been cured!
Just don't go walking around Iraq celebrating - you might step in some Shiite, and that's a tough smell to get out :laugh:

I could make the obvious joke about the Prez with this as a lead in....but in this new environment of sensitivity and kindness aforethought...I'll refrain. see it can be done! I've been cured! I've been cured!

And I could counter with the obvious one of a conservative circle-jerk. But, I won't.

Oops. :)

end the political room - only realistic path!

Agreed.

And I could counter with the obvious one of a conservative circle-jerk. But, I won't.

Oops. :)

Agreed.

I sense a sexual fixation. oops...we're escalating here and I know you don't care for that.

have a nice FL day....my b-in-law lives in Jax. gotta get down there to visit sometime.

I appreciate this thread. I have been pretty concerned over the last months. While it's true that with the off-season and with the entire NFL season in doubt that we've had fewer posters over the past months, I also think it's due to the preponderance of fairly nasty political threads. I'll even confess, there are times when I wonder why a couple of us are even here - because if all you're posting is political threads designed to provoke - well, that's not what BGO was created for.

On the other hand, as I told someone privately recently, we started this place with the goal of it being about you guys and gals, not about the staff. So the idea of 'moderating' or closing threads constantly in a heavy-handed way - I'll be honest, it's not what I signed up for.

I'd point out too that we went almost a year before having to moderate anyone. Now? It's not infrequent. That's worrisome.

I'm thinking hard about Chris' suggestion - a political forum where you can say whatever you want any way you want. No holds barred. But posting a political thread or even comment elsewhere is a one and you're done offense. I'm really thinking about it. I've also considered banning political threads altogether. I confess I wonder if a few of you guys would stay here if we did that :)

Anyway - I appreciate the sentiments in this thread. This is a great place, and can be an even greater one. But as we've learned at other sites, a community is only as good as it's member's sense of community, respect, tolerance, and affection for one another. You chip away at that, and before you know it, you're like every other internet ****hole out there. I'd hate to see that happen. In fact - we'd shut it down before we let that happen.

I agree it's a nice gesture, but witha community this small, is it really needed? I mean yeah, we get into it at times, but when you talk certain topics and especially politics, it can get heated.

But at the end of the day I don't think anyone here is of a mind to tell someone else , in my best Arnie voice "**** you asshole" or get nasty personally. I mean hell, even in the old days and the flame wars that went on between me and Chommie, at the end of the day I would have sat down with him and had a beer, even though he was a Godless commie liberal and a closet Patriots fan

So hey, if I torqued someone off or sent them over the edge, as Maxwell Smart would say "Sorry 'bout that Chief"

And you know John, if you did start a no holds barred political forum, I think because of the relationships built here, it really wouldn't be any...............nastier? argumentative? or whatever than the thread you closed last night.

So, beers on me when Vince Young gets here:cheers:

Maybe not. But I think the beauty of a dedicated no holds barred forum would be that staff would stay out of it. Those threads wouldn't be closed. I've never closed a thread because it disturbed me personally. I've closed them because those discussions offend and anger many of our members. I know that some of you here are thick-skinned, and at least claim when the dust settles those heated discussions don't impact your relationships with other members. But I don't entirely believe that. And it's clear many members can't let one discussion end without dragging those feelings into other discussions.

I think a forum where we say, other than threats or profanity, there will be no staff moderation or response - that creates another dynamic. You know going in it's an unmoderated forum - and you enter at your own risk. The other side of the bargain is, you make a single political post anywhere else on the site, or express something nasty elsewhere that derives from a pissing match in the political forum, there is zero tolerance and you get an extended break.

I think I like that idea. And I think many might like it better than some of the other potential solutions.

I think a forum where we say, other than threats or profanity, there will be no staff moderation or response - that creates another dynamic. You know going in it's an unmoderated forum - and you enter at your own risk. The other side of the bargain is, you make a single political post anywhere else on the site, or express something nasty elsewhere that derives from a pissing match in the political forum, there is zero tolerance and you get an extended break.

I think I like that idea. And I think many might like it better than some of the other potential solutions.

I could dig that. I think foks here are big enough boys and girls (Where the hell did they all go anyway?) to take it. It's a pretty straight forward rule. And God knows with the election coming up and the dreadful possiblity of no football, we'll need something to talk about.

And maybe instead of you having to take the time manipulating and making a whole new forum, we could just start a thread in the Club

I've suggested in the past that a political forum was needed in another place. It didn't happen and that place became intolerable. I would suggest that we add religion into such a new forum as well.

It sounds like a great idea and I would be supportive of it. BYOK (eh, kerosene). :)

well...I disagree with having a dedicated political room. if the goal is community...then such a room won't change much.

but if you do elect to go down this road....I suggest titling it "The Shouting Room" in keeping with what it really is purposed for.

If done it should be in it's own place, not in the 5 O'Clock Club.

Like that scary closet in your grandparents basement, access should require an intentioned action, not hovering around in plain view.

I suggest the Feedback & Tech Support Forum. :)

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

I, for one, find heated discussions thoroughly entertaining. If one chooses to expose their hot buttons to strangers on the interwebz, then they should expect to have them pushed on occasion. It's the risk you take. Suck it up and learn to play with the big boys.

Just as the Bully only learns from getting smacked in the mouth, ones attitudes have a better chance of being changed by getting cut up in a good verbal fencing match, than they do just playing patty-fingers. Oh, they won't admit it online, but if it changes how they think in the real world, then, doesn't that serve the better good?

Of course, we could all just hold hands, sing songs, and admire the little trophy everyone gets, regardless of how well, or poorly, we play the game.

Booooorrrrrring!

I say we keep the BGO Staff busy 24/7. That's why they get the big bucks.:)

I don't think we need a separate room for political threads, because I've noticed it isn't the political threads that really get people going - it's when someone brings politics into a thread that had nothing to do with politics that people tend to get their feathers ruffled.

I think a more effective thing to do would be to let people know that if they enter a political thread, they enter at their own risk. On the flip side, I think members should be given a break if they commit a violation by bringing politics into a thread that wasn't political.

It's like my Osama bin Laden thread - sure, it has political roots in a way, but we should have been celebrating what we had accomplished by finally getting our guy. Instead, it devolved into a Bush vs Obama cluster ****, and the whole thread went rapidly downhill. If the posters that caused that knew they could get a vacation by doing that, I am certain we would all have been smart enough not to go down that path and get pulled into the mess that resulted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.