• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Apologies to all Rugby League fans .....

The Rugby League World Cup is played every 5 years, and this year is being hosted by England and Ireland.

The US finished on top of their group, which now gives them the right to play the winner of Group A, which is Australia.

To get to this point of the tournament, Australia beat England in the opening game 28-20, smashed Fiji 34-2 and destroyed Ireland 50-0.

The USA Tomahawks won through by beating Cook Islands 32-20, shocked Wales 24-16 and with that, was enough to see them qualify, then lost to Scotland 22-8.

That now sees the winner of Group A (Australia) play the winner of Group D (USA) in the 2nd Quarter Final. The winner then plays the winner of the Samoa v Fiji QF.

For anyone interested, and if you can access it on TV, the game is scheduled to start at 1pm (England time), with the game being played at Wrexham. That means it will be played at 11.30pm Saturday, Australian time, which would be about 9.30am Saturday morning US (West Coast) time.

A bit of history:

The Tomahawks finally make their World Cup bow after defeating Jamaica and South Africa in the Atlantic Qualifiers.

With Terry Matterson at the helm, they’ll face the Cook Islands and Wales in Group D, having previously been denied qualification by Lebanon (2000) and Samoa (2008).

The USA played its first international in 1953, during a tour of Australasia organised by Wrestling promoter Mike Dimitro. A team of complete novices (mischievously dubbed the 'All-Stars’) lost most of their 26 games, yet still attracted an astonishing 65,453 spectators to the Sydney Cricket Ground for a match against a local representative XIII.

In 1987 the national team was reformed to play its first international since 1954 (they lost 23-10 to Canada), and competed in the World Sevens (1992–1997), Super League World Nines (1996, 1997) and the Emerging Nations World Cup (2000).

The Tomahawks have been playing regular international competition since the turn of the century. In 2002, 25,000 spectators saw Russia defeat the USA 54–10 in Moscow. Just two years later they gave the mighty Australia a mighty scare before losing 36–24.

A combination of increased international competition and a decade of domestic development means that the USA may finally be set to make its mark on the biggest stage.

I just had a thought, but for those who do actually take the time to watch any of the games, watch how the players tackle, and how they do it WITHOUT helmets.

The only protection the players wear is a flac jacket type of set-up. Sme players wear a bike helmet type thing, but that is due to previous head injuries.

Yawn. Wake me up when its the Rugby Union World Cup! :)

I loved watchin Rugby as well as Aussie Rules growing up with my dad. We used to watch it on TV, unfortunately there's nowhere around here to catch any matches live... I'd try to keep up with it more now if I had more flippin time! Hell of a sport!

Well, I correct in predicting it would be a massacre, but the 62-0 scoreline could have been a lot worse if it wasn't for the bad kicking for the conversion of a try. 12 tries, but only 7 conversions.

I must give praise t the Tomahawks as they kept the scoreline to 10-0 after the first 20 minutes, but once fatigue set in, the Aussies just tore the game apart.

So we are now left with two semi-finals - England v New Zealand and Australia v Fiji. The winner of each of these games go on to play in the final. The shortest of short odds should see the Kiwi's playing the Aussies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.