• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

anyone watching tonight?

fansince62

not I. I stopped watching the last several years of the Bush admin - couldn't take all his malapropisms and missed opportunities. Plus...this is more theatre than substance anyway. As for the current and temporary occupant at 1600 PA Ave:

1) Don't like his cold smugness.

2) Don't like teleprompters.

3) Whatever he says, after 1 year of primaries and 2 years of OJT....no longer believe most of what he says.

anything interesting crops up...I'll read about in the WSJ tomorrow.

I don't get the teleprompter hate. Every single president in US history (save for maybe Lincoln) had speech writers who wrote their speeches for them. Obama is no different, he's just using technology to his advantage. Damn that Obama for using technology to his advantage!

That being said, I won't watch either. I've become jaded towards politics in general, and have little interest. Its clear our votes are pretty meaningless, because politicians are going to do what they want to do regardless of what they say to get elected. Its a shame, really.

I always watch the President speak if I have the chance.

I don't get the teleprompter thing either. All Presidents use them. Big deal.

That being said, I won't watch either. I've become jaded towards politics in general, and have little interest. Its clear our votes are pretty meaningless, because politicians are going to do what they want to do regardless of what they say to get elected. Its a shame, really.

OMG! Sound the alarm! Lanky and I agree 1000% on something and it doesn't come out of any deep welled ideological differences. we're seeing the same thing!

yea. it is a shame. I share your sentiments here as well. makes me worry for my 12 yr old......

I always watch the President speak if I have the chance.

I don't get the teleprompter thing either. All Presidents use them. Big deal.

not like this guy does. I was laughing when he used it on one visit to an elementary school class! this guy has a dependency much greater than previous Prezs. either way.....just my personal feeling.

enjoy the theatre tonight. it appears there will be far fewer of the Supremes in attendance this time around.

I can only speak for myself, but if it ain't scripted he can't express it. When he gets out of the tele-prompter zone, he stumbles all over himself. Those Town Hall meetings he ran were the worst thing he could have done in his Presidency. The guy is smart, you cannot attain the education he has and become President of the Law Review at Harvard University unless you have some marbles in that coconut. He just doesn't look perfect w/out his script. (I say that because he comes across as one who should be perfect. I do not expect perfection, I like G.W.)

It will be interesting to see how scripted the O'Reilly interview will be on Super Bowl Sunday. Dislike Bill or not, he is not afraid to ask the tough questions.

Oh and guys, although he did use the tele-prompter, Ronald Reagan could break from the regimented, robotic like tone and speak his own words.

Last edited:
Reagan? I always thought he was one of the more 'scripted' Presidents. He hated press conferences, and when he held them he insisted on knowing the questions and questioners ahead of time. That's not something all Presidents do. I don't even think Obama does that.

Hell, Reagan's most famous speech, after the Challenger disaster, was written by Peggy Noonan. It was still a great speech and he still delivered it well and he will be rightly remembered for how well he expressed and channelled the nation's grief on that day. I don't think we need to start putting asterisks on things like that, do we?

Reagan? I always thought he was one of the more 'scripted' Presidents. He hated press conferences, and when he held them he insisted on knowing the questions and questioners ahead of time. That's not something all Presidents do. I don't even think Obama does that.

Hell, Reagan's most famous speech, after the Challenger disaster, was written by Peggy Noonan. It was still a great speech and he still delivered it well and he will be rightly remembered for how well he expressed and channelled the nation's grief on that day. I don't think we need to start putting asterisks on things like that, do we?

Come on Henry, I do not deny the use of a script by Reagan, but his ability to throw a jab out there is unmatched in Modern era Presidents. Clinton was a great orator, but even he could not match Reagan's quick wit. Reagan had an answer for everything and he rarely stumbled all over his words like Obama does when he is caught without his script.

Come on Henry, I do not deny the use of a script by Reagan, but his ability to throw a jab out there is unmatched in Modern era Presidents. Clinton was a great orator, but even he could not match Reagan's quick wit. Reagan had an answer for everything and he rarely stumbled all over his words like Obama does when he is caught without his script.

Reagan established a bond.

Obama is lecturing. He doesn't care whether you agree or not.

Reagan established a bond.

Obama is lecturing. He doesn't care whether you agree or not.

It's all a matter of perspective. If you disagreed with Reagan it was a lecture, just so you know. :)

It's all a matter of perspective. If you disagreed with Reagan it was a lecture, just so you know. :)

So this is a partisan issue for you Henry? :psych:

So this is a partisan issue for you Henry? :psych:

I don't think it is for ME. :)

Like I said, I watch the President if he has something to say. I don't care if I agree with him or not. If he thinks it's important, it's important.

I don't care about teleprompters. They all use them.

For those who don't like the President's delivery I can respect that. I didn't really like GWB's bumpkin act all that much. But I still listened when he spoke. But that's just me. This is America and you all don't have to listen if you don't want to. :)

Like I said, I watch the President if he has something to say. I don't care if I agree with him or not. If he thinks it's important, it's important.

OK.

I will likely watch as well. I think I am more interested in Paul Ryan's speech. I know what Obama has, I can't wait to see what the young Congressman can do on the national stage.

OK.

I will likely watch as well. I think I am more interested in Paul Ryan's speech. I know what Obama has, I can't wait to see what the young Congressman can do on the national stage.

I will watch that too. I'm very interested to see where the GOP is going now that they have their foot in the door.

For those who don't like the President's delivery I can respect that. I didn't really like GWB's bumpkin act all that much. But I still listened when he spoke. But that's just me. This is America and you all don't have to listen if you don't want to. :)

and my 3rd and key point?.....:)

why listen if one knows up front that it is smoke and mirrors?

OK.

one listens to what Obama says. but that doesn't count for much.

what one watches is what he does (or doesn't) do.

but...however you want to spend....ooops...invest......your time!

I think that american presidents should have to do what brit politicians have to do and face eachother unscripted, I think you would see fewer actually stupid people in your government because they get outed pretty fast. the problem is do you really want SMARTER crooks?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.