• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Anybody watch Hamilton?

Neophyte

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
The musical Hamilton has been something of a big deal for the last 5-6 years but I had not seen it yet. Last week, a movie of the original Broadway cast performing the musical was released on Disney+, so we sat down as a family unit on Friday night to watch it. I guess I should mention that our family digs musicals. Dallas has a very active group that works to bring to town a diverse program of musicals every year and we try to see at least one. Obviously this year has been a bust.

Anyway, with all the hype around Hamilton, I was excited and prepared to be wow'd. However, when it was done, I have to admit to being underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, I thought it good and I still want to see it live. However, with all the hype, I expected it to rival Les Mis or Phantom and it just didn't get there. Now I am left wondering if I missed something.

Anyone else see it? If so, thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of both musicals and history. 1776 is one of my favorite all-time musicals (If you haven't seen it, I HIGHLY recommend it).

I also saw Hamilton on Disney+ for the first time a few days ago.

It ... wasn't for me. Some of it I liked. But for the most part it was overwhelming and difficult to follow. And I knew a lot about Hamilton going in. In general I'm not a huge fan of the singing-the-dialogue types of musicals, like Le Mis or Evita. And this was that times like 10. I appreciate the effort and I'm glad it was made. I approve of anything that help raise interest and awareness in our history. But, not my type of thing. What can I say.

Yea...wish I was "in the room" when the script was being written.

when they stopped the show to chastise the VP I decided I didn't want anything to do with it. I am not a huge fan of musicals, anyways. But, that was enough for me to be OK never seeing it. My wife wants to watch it....I told her she can rent a hotel room and do it!!

THIS IS AMERICA!!!

As for Hamilton, I enjoyed it. I have enjoyed the handful of musicals I've seen in person or on the television, Miss Saigon, Phantom, Wicked, Mama Mia (all of those in-person), Rent, Hamilton, Chicago (on TV). I'm not some big fan of musicals though, I just know some people who are, and I am pretty easy-going on tagging along for people's good times. I like to be around people having a good time, and I try to go with that as much as possible. It's more fun for everyone that way. If I put my critical hat on, yeah, I have some issues with Hamilton I suppose, but I thought it did a reasonably good job of telling a story. I guess you are not a fan of the musical genres at play? Most people I know, if they like the musical genre, they get into Hamilton, period full-stop. I'd be curious if that is broken here, does anyone like the musical style but not like Hamilton?

I have some family members who absolutely love the book and the musical, and I did get into it. To be completely honest, even though I said all of that stuff above, I thought I'd end up feeling like it was a 5 when I began. I ended up feeling like it was a 7 or even an 8, probably coming a little bit from watching it with people having a blast, but overall I don't see huge problems.

Anyway, opinions are opinions!

Last edited:
Haven't seen Hamilton but have heard positive things about it. I love '1776' too Henry and musicals in general. My wife pretty much forces me to watch one anytime they pop up on TCM. Not really in an area where I have many opportunities to see live shows though.

And guys, for the gazillionth time - no politics here.

I'm a fool that's spent tens of thousands to see every band in the front row. Stones, Fleetwood Mac, GnR, Rod Stewart, etc. I think Hamilton is the best live show that I've ever seen.

Tom Petty and Dire Straits were incredible, AC/DC. Bryan Adams and Bob Seger also kicked ass, Def Leppard and INXS rocked, but this show is awesome.

Screw the politics. I have no idea how they even remember the words. It's insane.

Last edited:
Stones, Fleetwood Mac, GnR, Rod Stewart - one of these things is not like the others. LOL

Saw Hamilton on stage here in FT Myers a few months back. I enjoyed it, as I do with an theater performance I go to. Very well staged and performed, but a bit hard to follow at times. The did twist the actual history a bit when it came to Hamilton and Burrs stance on slavery and immigration, but not enough to really matter as a theatrical representation. I'd likely watch the movie if I had the streaming service, but would not go to a live performance again. Ticket prices were way, way, to high for average seats. Had better seats for fiddler on the roof, for half the price... Topol's last tour. The weekend we saw Hamilton, between the show, and dinner after, I dropped almost 800$

Dated a ballet dancer for years when I lived in South Florida so I became a big fan of the performing arts. The Kravitz Center in West Palm Beach rivals any theatre in NYC. I have seen many musicals, operas, ballets, and broadway shows. I am thoroughly impressed with the "production" of it all, having access to witness it from all angles.

Believe it or not, the Lion King is probably my favorite. It may have something to do with the trip to NYC with my son to see his first show, but that show was extremely well done, and very entertaining. The boy came away wow'ed, even though it was scary at first...it is after all a HUGE production and I mean that in every sense...the characters were towering in the opening as they walked down the aisle.

Something like Hamilton is simply not a show I think I could enjoy on the small screen, I would want to see it live...and probably will someday. Like Phantom of the Opera, that show was phenomenal and I just couldn't bring myself to watch until I could see it on Broadway.

My wife has no interest in Broadway shows, musicals, opera or the sort...and she is a musician! She'd much rather see King Crimson.

And McD5, I don't name drop often, but I had the pleasure to serve Rod Stewart at a restaurant I worked in West Palm...he is just an awesome human being!

Bro, I saw Rod Stewart in OH in 2017 and he put on a hell of a show. He knows his craft and still sings it like he used to.

Went to only one musical River Dance at Wolf Trap way back in the Y2k days I had a weakness for green eyes and redhair that my old friend used to her advantage. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.