• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Anthony Alridge Re-signed

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For those that missed it, the Redskins re-signed Anthony Alridge from the Houston Texans practice squad roster today. Alridge takes Randy Thomas' spot, so this is likely a sign the team thinks they can make do with Rinehart or Montgomery at RG.

so, what are we going to use Alridge for? :)

he is very slight of build and while he has 4.3 speed is a guy that fumbles when a slight gust of wind hits him.

this will be interesting.

RB? KR? PR? Other?

How's his goal-line passing? :)

Can he play right tackle. Darn, I have the pavlov's dogs response. With Betts averaging 24 yards a catch I am not sure if we have a need for him.

My guess? The team saw Darren Sproles Sunday and said, "Hey, that's what we're missing."

I do think Alridge can help open up the offense. Not only with his running, but his catching out of the backfield on passes over the middle.

Portis, Betts, Cartwright, Mason - they are all the same type of running back. Power with a twinge of speed. Alridge is completely different. He's the changeup the Redskins haven't had in a while.

Not saying he's Jesus. But he's a threat. If he can hold onto the ball.

I like the move, but I don't like keeping five running backs. Drop Mason or Cartwright - I love the guy, but really? - and pick up an OG.

meh.

If the Skins are serious about keeping Alridge, then you need to get rid of another RB. Unless somebody is hurt......

This is another weird move. Depth on the O-line is a concern, so you sign another RB? So is now Mason going to be inactive for the remainder of the season?

I have a feeling the Redskins are moving in two different ways now.
1. Win Now- the Skins sign guys like Hall and Haynesworth to big contracts so they can win now.....yet

2. The future- seems like the Skins are stockpiling some guys like Edwin Williams, Mason, Alridge for next year....because they'd be on another team's practice squad or active roster.
Makes me think there is going to be a big purge at the end of the season.

Hopefully, they'll make him carry a ball with him 24/7. If he can learn to protect the football, he can help this team.

Mason, as much as I like the kid, has no value unless CP or Ladell are hurt. Him being active last Sunday was a waste of a roster spot.

Which reminds me, why, for the love of biscuits, does the NFL not allow all 53 players to be active on gameday? It has to rank up there with sticking your junk in a running blender, as one of the dumbest things around.

Which reminds me, why, for the love of biscuits, does the NFL not allow all 53 players to be active on gameday? It has to rank up there with sticking your junk in a running blender, as one of the dumbest things around.

Right next to blackouts. Why would you not appease the fans of sorry teams even a little?

As for Aldridge, strange move. :insane:

Right next to blackouts. Why would you not appease the fans of sorry teams even a little?

As for Aldridge, strange move. :insane:

Sarge, I don't think it's all that strange-except the propensity for fumbles the guy has. Like EatSleepRedskin mentioned, the Skins running game is a bust-through power running game which is o.k. but which lacks a really fast, sneak through a small hole, ball carrier with quickness and agility-usually due to smaller size also- who can pick up 5-10 yards before the defense can react. I think any team that doesn't have this option is crippling themselves in terms of the variety of "looks" an opposing defense has to deal with. As I mentioned some time age, I like the guy, and hate his slippery hands-if he had Rock's tenacious grip on the ball-he'd be a nasty little weapon indeed.

As far as why he was re-signed?-there could be a possible element of desperation in the background here-recognizing a need and trying a quick-fix. I'll be interested in Zorn's and/or the FO's reasoning here.

I don't think it's that strange at all.

Alridge can be a huge weapon for the team as long as the Redskins use him correctly.

What is strange is not releasing one of the other runners on the team.

Not sure I see the logic here even considering the different running style.

Betts is averaging a gaudy 24 yards per catch (granted that is on just two receptions). Tough to do much better than that, even considering that the average will likely return to Earth a bit in the coming weeks.

The best back in the world is still only as good as his Offensive Line play and the Skins just lost one of the two best run blockers on the roster for the season. Hard to believe that Aldridge is going to do better at running when there are no holes than CP does and frankly, CP is making good yardage when he has the blocking at the moment.

Add to that the small fact that the last thing this team needs is to put the ball on the ground and I am left to wonder what they are doing to do with Aldridge if he is active on Sundays.

Well now with the news about Portis' ankles we know why a back and not an OL was signed when Thomas went on IR.

The question is though what does Alridge bring to the table if Portis misses time?

The occasional draw or swing pass on third and long?

Alridge lacks the size and lower body strength to do what Sproles does for SD.

Doesn't appear as if we signed a player that is really going to make much of a difference.

But the team admitted as much by cutting Alridge and keeping a back with margin NFL skills in Marcus Mason.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

One has to wonder what Aldridge was signed for. He was active but at the end of the game who was taking the offensive snaps? Not Portis or Betts or Aldridge. No, it was Rock Cartwright. Not saying Rock is a bad player but if we were comfortable in having him on the field like that why bring Aldridge back?

Aldridge didn't even return kicks or punts. Instead we had Antwaan Fair Catch El back there, giving up 10-20 yards of field position on most punts. Fudge.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.