• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Adam Schefter ESPN.com : Redskins to start McCoy over RG III

SNF

The Starter
Reaction score
Washington Redskins to start Colt McCoy over Robert Griffin III against Indianapolis Colts - ESPN

The Washington Redskins are planning to start Colt McCoy over Robert Griffin III this Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts, a team source said Tuesday night.

While Griffin is not a part of Washington's plan for Sunday's game, he still appears to be a significant part of the Redskins' long-term plan, according to another source.

Yet right now, the Redskins are hitting the reset button, though it might not last long, a source cautioned, as Washington has high hopes for the coming offseason.

For the first time since it surrendered three first-round picks and one second-round pick for the right to draft Griffin, the Redskins will have their full allotment of picks in addition to room under the salary cap. That means behind owner Dan Snyder and general manager Bruce Allen, the team will be positioned to strike this offseason, spend big-time dollars and improve its roster.

Also, Washington hired head coach Jay Gruden in large part for his stellar work with quarterbacks, and the team is convinced coaching, cash and patience can help turn Griffin back into the player who won the Heisman Trophy and Offensive Rookie of the Year in back-to-back seasons.

But for now, it has been a battle. Griffin is coming off his most challenging NFL outing at San Francisco, where he was battered in the pocket and struggled when he did have time to throw during a 17-13 loss to the 49ers. That showing forced Washington to consider a change that is expected to become official Wednesday, when Gruden meets with reporters.

On Monday, Gruden said he intended to start Griffin against the Colts, but never fully committed to it.

Griffin is scheduled to meet with the media in a previously scheduled news conference at 11:30 a.m., though it is uncertain whether he still will speak then.

More at link above

So what happens if McCoy sucks after 3 games? Who will be our QB then? **** you Gruden, you gutless bastard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2 Cents.

First setting aside if this is or is not the correct decision there is NO way that something like this should leak. It should be communicated to RGIII first, then the other QBs, then the rest of the team and then immediately after that by the Head Coach to the media. Thats just running a team and PR 101. I hope to high heaven that RGIII did not find out about this via the media as it seems most of the team did. Just a shambles and a function of the dysfunction which is the real problem and which starts at the top.

Then the decision itself. In making any decision you need to have a clear end in mind - we don't know what that is here. If the decision has been made with the end of giving us the best chance of winning Sunday and the rest of the season or to keep the locker room happy for me its the wrong thinking and therefore decision. We have no chance of making the playoffs, IMO the objective here has to be longer term than this Sunday or even the rest of this season. Given what we gave up for him, his demonstrated potential and the the position he plays giving RGIII the best possible chance to develop has to be the end in mind - unless of course we have already decided he's not the answer. So ...

If we have decided as an organisation we have lost patience and decided RGIII is not the guy this is the right decision (giving up on RGIII so quickly might not be though).

If we have decided we still think RGIII is part of our future but carrying on playing him is just going to further damage his confidence and long term development this is (arguably) the right decision.

If we have decided we need to play Colt to give us the best chance to win Sunday and let the long term take care of itself IMO its the wrong decision.

I am not rooting against McCoy, but do I see him being the man? No. Will he win a gam or two, I hope so. Will he have a 3 game leash like Griffin? Who will start if he fails?? We are out of QB's.

What pisses me off is Gruden didn't have the guts Monday to come out and say that.

Well it only costed us a first round pick for every year you played for us. Unreal.

At some point the Redskins are going to have to stick with a QB and go through the growing pains. That may never happen.

Griffin and McCoy were both told prior to "a leak" Gruden stated they didn't get back to DC until 4am ...he would need to look at the tape before deciding but as it stood Griffin was the projected starter. I've been a huge supporter of Griffin but I can't deny his regression...What caused it I have no idea...but leaving receivers wide open time after time? This team needs a spark...I'm all in with McCoy.

Gruden is an NFL head coach doing what NFL head coaches do. We have NO idea if he'll succeed long term, but one we do know is that he doesn't give a shit what the fan base thinks. The man gets the same consideration any new head coach gets--a realistic chance to make chicken salad out of the chicken shit he inherited.

Garçon threw the ball last game, he can be our starting qb in 3 weeks when McCoy is benched lol HTTR

Gruden is an NFL head coach doing what NFL head coaches do. We have NO idea if he'll succeed long term, but one we do know is that he doesn't give a shit what the fan base thinks. The man gets the same consideration any new head coach gets--a realistic chance to make chicken salad out of the chicken shit he inherited.

I have no problem with Gruden making ANY on-the-field decisions. He inarguably shares one desire with the fans of this team - he wants to succeed. If he needs to move on from RG3 in his estimation to do that, I fully support that. I do think he has contributed unnecessarily and clumsily to distraction and drama, which anyone familiar with last year knows is the LAST thing this squad needs, whether some players aren't getting it done or not.

Fans are going to find out that his public 'tough love' approach that is so charming and refreshing early on, won't ease the pain of epic suckitude if this team is not world's better in 3 years. Gruden has a lot of room for improvement in terms of managing the locker room and the media if you ask me. There was nothing to be gained by the public mind games he's clearly been playing with Griffin. If the goal was to 'motivate' Griffin somehow by increasing the pressure and trying to humiliate him into better play, it epically failed. Many will argue that's all on Griffin. I'd argue that it points to Gruden not knowing his player very well and being unable to find a strategy to help him be successful.

And I don't want to hear anyone say 'Gruden had no choice but to start Griffin from the outset'. Of course he had the choice - and if he thought Griffin was the wrong guy we'd have been better off going with Cousins or McCoy from the beginning. Maybe we wouldn't be looking at a completely wasted (and it has been a completely wasted) season in 2014. If he was going to be bold, I just wish he'd spared us all of the public drama and just gone with the guy he thought could execute his offense effectively.

All that being said, unlike others, I thought McCoy played exceptionally well in his 2 games this year. Those weren't 'game manager' performances. He didn't play 'okay'. He played impressively well. I also saw evidence that he doesn't have a true NFL arm - but seems to have the ability to compensate for that by making decisive, early throws, something Griffin has seemed incapable of for more than a season now. Can McCoy become a bonafide starter? I'm not as convinced as others are that he can't.

Onward. Not sure about upward. But Onward.

I think the organization--top to bottom--needed Robert to play this year, despite concerns we know they had even going into the season about his ability to run a real NFL offense. The investment was just too big to not give him a chance to grow into the position. And the PROMISE we all saw in Robert was and is still a factor. What I don't think they knew was just how little progress Robert would make between the ears over the course of the year.

I was stunned how badly Robert played the last 2 weeks. I think the team--top to bottom--was too. At this point the team needs to use the 5 next weeks to try to see how the rest of the offensive roster works with a serviceable QB at the helm who can at the very least run the offense ... who actually knows what to do out there.

Robert is under contract for another year, so there is still a chance, whether realistic or not, that he might start to figure out what an NFL QB is supposed to do on the field in a real big-boy offense. The team doesn't have to make that decision today, or even any time soon. They can let that one play out.

What the team DOES have to do is let the other men on the roster, in the staff, etc., know that their clock is ticking too. No excuses, no excuse of the coddled star QB holding them back or getting star treatment and playing only because he's the bonus baby.

As for Gruden? First year coach who needs to grow into the job too, and learn that the press and fan base do NOT need to know every thought in his head. That the best interests of his team are to be as big a hard ass as he needs to be to get the job done, but to do it behind closed doors and not amplify the ridiculous noise the local press and fans make in this town.

I'm intrigued by Jay's offensive football acumen ... and willing to give him a chance to grow into the management part of the job, like I would any rookie head coach. If he gets this team competing on both sides of the ball the rest of the way, win or lose ... I'll head into the offseason hopeful that having the full draft and cap space back in hand, he and Allen will start to build a team worthy of a real QB, be it Robert or not.

Then I'll start doing secret voodoo dances trying to get him to let Haslett go.

I feel terribly for RG3. This event just reinforces how dysfunctional this franchise has really been.

With that said, this is a fantastic day for the organization. One of the greatest days toward future success.

1. We have a HC who has just proven he has some of the largest huevos in the entire league. Amazing guts to make the difficult and unpopular decision in an attempt to win.

2. He just uncovered and overcame more meddling from Dan Snyder. He's pushed him even further away from this franchise. Hope it sticks and continues.

3. He just won the locker room, and gave players an actual reason to even think about staying next season. We were in huge jeopardy of at least losing our WRs--guys that have taken us 20 years to bring in. Now instead of spending draft picks and time in hopes of ever replacing them, we can move forward and win games.

This is a great day.

I dont know how to take this right yet. I have been saying for a while now that the only reason Griffin should be sat down is if the football people have made the decision that he's not a part of the future plans of our beloved team. I don't know anymore. I have wanted Griffin to have the reps because he needs to get better, but I also don't want to see him get killed. I don't WANT to see Griffin go anywhere.... but who knows anymore.

My positive spin on this? It sure as hell looks like our coaching staff and the football people have 100% governing power over the decision making as far as on the field and player personnel goes... whether I agree with the decisions or not, it's the football people making them.

For anyone interested, here is where we were at in terms of development.

That piece of paper you see hidden underneath RG3's towel.....not visible on his wrist for everyone to see......was a McNabb wristband/cheat sheet that he wore for the first time ever last weekend. This pretty much solidifies why the move had to be made.

towel.jpg

What are you talking about McD5? This falls into the category of unsubstantiated rumor - and honestly we don't encourage posting that kind of nonsense here. If you have some kind of legitimate source to reference, that's one thing.

And let me expound further... Fans who take pleasure in our planned franchise QB being benched (and likely resulting in his being done for good in DC) because a) it either fits the narrative they have supported, or b) they enjoy kicking someone when they are down, are not really fans of this team. This may be a necessary move - I actually do give Gruden the benefit of the doubt for the near future on the football decisions. But Griffin failing is not a good thing. It's not a happy thing. It's a disaster for this franchise.

Last edited:
Don't worry Boone, most around here carry a large container of salt and use it quite frequently.

What are you talking about McD5? This falls into the category of unsubstantiated rumor - and honestly we don't encourage posting that kind of nonsense here. If you have some kind of legitimate source to reference, that's one thing.

What are you referring to? The cheat sheet? It's right there on his waist. I'm unable to blow the picture up so you can read it, but you can see the larger picture on twitter at @HTTR24_7

Bottom left corner of that page. You can read the plays.

It's no rumor.

I'm referring to your taking some instigatory bullshit you read on Twitter, and repeating it here as if it's got some global, ominous, and horrific meaning. Griffin may not end up being a complete bust, but I'm pretty sure he's a good guy at heart, and he's certainly not deserving of being compared to Donovan McNabb. That's just an outrageous comparison.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I mention McNabb only because he was asked to use a cheat sheet but refused. RG3 at least used it.

Well, sometimes hitting rock bottom is what is needed for change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.