• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

A word about "100%"

CounterTrey

The Team Captain
Reaction score
It's awful hard to make it through a Sportcast that involves QB discussions without having RG3 and 100% come up. I think there's a great deal of confusion about what that really means. It's being used as a medical term by Dr. Andrews, RG3, And the Redskins FO. But that's purely a medical term. It's not the same as saying he's 100% in terms of what he can do on a football field. Many folks don't seem to understand that while his knee IS healed and it IS structurally sound (ie he can cut or take the same amount of force in a blow the the knee as he could before -more probably, by all accounts his knee is actually MORE sound than it was before) that doesn't mean he's 100% as the Athlete Robert Griffin.

People expect 100% level production out of him because he's 100% medically but there is a huge disconnect on the reason for his lack of productivity. After having watched 4 games now and more than a small sampling it's exceedingly obvious to me what his problem's are and they are two fold.

1. It's just in his head and he has to "get his mojo back". His timing is off because his leg doesn't work like it used to...YET. He's still building leg strength, flexibility anbd muscle memory. There's no way around that but time and repetition.

2. Muscle Atrophy in his quads specifically (remember he had BOTH knees worked on). It only takes a few weeks to lose enough muscle that it takes a good year to regenerate and that's WITH a hardcore workout routine. This is what made AP's recovery so astounding...not his ability to get back on a field but his ability to regenerate that muscle he lost and come back with such a burst. Still took him over 8 weeks (including pre-season) for him to be at the top of his game. If you asked him I bet he admits that he never was all the way 100% in his quad and hamstring strength last year. I think this is affecting RG3 a LOT more than anyone on the outside knows. He has NO burst or acceleration but is still fast top end. That's classic acl recovery issues and it's why MOST athletes even with modern medicine aren't back to 100% Speed wise until their 2nd season back. RG3 will continue to improve but we probably won't see that burst from a stop again until next season and until we do the O will continue to be limited in it's scope by comparison to last year.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this CT. In the short term, this is frustrating to realize; in the long term, however, it may force Robert to depend more on his arm and less on his legs and athleticism, which may end up with him being a better QB overall when all is said and done.

Yea it's frustrating short term but it'll work out long term. Fan and Sports media expectations need to be tempered with that in mind though. The fans get a pass for obvious reasons but the sports media has access to enough experts that could easily explain this, so they get cut zero slack by me. It's gotten pretty annoying at this point and is punctuated by the stupid video snippet on the front page from those stooges on Bayless and his mind numbingly stupid cohort who asserted that RG3 has been lying about his status. NO you effing moron you're just too lazy and stupid to understand what he means. There's a good reason I never watch those two jackasses waste airspace unless it's a clip posted like here.

Great post. Unfortunately it won't stop the massive amount of "Griffin and his father are RUINING THE REDSKINS" type posts and comments seen everywhere, but at the very least, they'll stop next year when Griffin is back to being Griffin. Or even more hopefully, later this year! :fingerscrossed:

Yeah, he doesn't have his explosiveness back yet. That's obvious when he's trying to avoid/outrun pass rushers and blitzers outside of the pocket. He is still fast but it takes him longer to get there.

gentlemen....before we even drafted Robert there were articles being written - specifically those comparing RG to Luck - about his ability (perhaps a better word would be experience) reading progressions on the pocket vice in the mobile Baylor scheme. you are free to disagree on the whether the distinction is valid, but that conversation was in play across major segments of sports media. I remember Shanahan talking about how that shaped thinking towards schemes like the read option.

I've been hoping that the Skins would be patient and allow Griffin a chance to get his sealegs. Maybe it's just easier for someone that has had surgery on a leg to relate. 100% healed isn't the same as playing at 100%. I'm really impressed with his progress and I'll go ahead and say it. I think he will resemble a quicker more nimble John Elway type qb if he can stay healthy. He is our franchise qb we've been hoping for. Is he over hyped? Of course... has he been humbled? No doubt about it.
What we saw last year was almost legendary. Those kind of seasons are rare. I hope to see the read option/ pistol offense from time to time. It's a bit easier to have this conversation after a 4 game sampling.
He needs work but he could use better pass protection. Receivers outside of Garcon need to work on the drops especially on third down. Moss had at least 2 costly drops. It's going to be an uphill battle all season just not enough talent this year...Next year should be better with more cap money to play with. A win in Dallas might put us in first place in the division so it ain't over yet.
Unlike Recent history we have a franchise QB....I'd say Griffin is already in the top 5 Redskin Qbs. in the history of the team. That's kinda sad I know...but still.

Yeah, he doesn't have his explosiveness back yet. That's obvious when he's trying to avoid/outrun pass rushers and blitzers outside of the pocket. He is still fast but it takes him longer to get there.

Take another look at the pass play where he connected with Helu for a long gain.
That was impressive elusiveness on RG3's part. He's making a comeback.

Great post. Unfortunately it won't stop the massive amount of "Griffin and his father are RUINING THE REDSKINS" type posts and comments seen everywhere, but at the very least, they'll stop next year when Griffin is back to being Griffin. Or even more hopefully, later this year! :fingerscrossed:

His post is about his play on the field. What we have been complaining about is his off the field stuff.

I don't see the connection.

I, personally, would appreciate that if you're going to constantly criticize the opinion and bring it up in different and unrelated threads at least get the argument you're criticizing right.

Last edited by a moderator:
His post is about his play on the field. What we have been complaining about is his off the field stuff.

I don't see the connection.

I, personally, would appreciate that if you're going to constantly criticize the opinion and bring it up in different and unrelated threads at least get the argument you're criticizing right.

Its all related, brother. If we are 4-0 and Griffin is among the top passers in the NFL stat-wise, nobody even brings up his father or what he has to say about the offense. :)

Take another look at the pass play where he connected with Helu for a long gain.
That was impressive elusiveness on RG3's part. He's making a comeback.

I have no doubts about him gradually getting back to form. But for every one play where he avoids trouble I could point out three where he struggles to. That's the difference I see for Robert between the two 100%s.

It's awful hard to make it through a Sportcast that involves QB discussions without having RG3 and 100% come up. I think there's a great deal of confusion about what that really means. It's being used as a medical term by Dr. Andrews, RG3, And the Redskins FO. But that's purely a medical term. It's not the same as saying he's 100% in terms of what he can do on a football field. Many folks don't seem to understand that while his knee IS healed and it IS structurally sound (ie he can cut or take the same amount of force in a blow the the knee as he could before (more probably, by all accounts his knee is actually MORE sound than it was before.

People expect 100% level production out of him because he's 100% medically but there is a huge disconnect on the reason for his lack of productivity. After having watched 4 games now and more than a small sampling it's exceedingly obvious to me what his problem's are and they are two fold.

1. It's just in his head and he has to "get his mojo back". His timing is off because his leg doesn't work like it used to...YET. He's still building leg strength, flexibility anbd muscle memory. There's no way around that but time and repetition.

2. Muscle Atrophy in his quads specifically (remember he had BOTH knees worked on). It only takes a few weeks to lose enough muscle that it takes a good year to regenerate and that's WITH a hardcore workout routine. This is what made AP's recovery so astounding...not his ability to get back on a field but his ability to regenerate that muscle he lost and come back with such a burst. Still took him over 8 weeks (including pre-season) for him to be at the top of his game. If you asked him I bet he admits that he never was all the way 100% in his quad and hamstring strength last year. I think this is affecting RG3 a LOT more than anyone on the outside knows. He has NO burst or acceleration but is still fast top end. That's classic acl recovery issues and it's why MOST athletes even with modern medicine aren't back to 100% Speed wise until their 2nd season back. RG3 will continue to improve but we probably won't see that burst from a stop again until next season and until we do the O will continue to be limited in it's scope by comparison to last year.

Great post. Always enjoy reading your insight as you cut through the bs and get to the truth objectively. I chuckled when I saw "Mojo". What my buddy and I were saying at the Redskins bar during the game. He has lost his mojo. Can't get your mojo back if you have lost a step (speed) and lost the quickness. However, he still does have a good arm, and thankfully can still throw on the run better than anyone in the game. Now ya'll can see why I advocated waiting until the Cowboys game to start him. Just to have given him more time. Still, he would have been thrown to the wolves, at least now he has dusted off the cobwebs and knows his limitations. Very important, knowing your limitations. He continues to learn how to maximize his play given his constraints. I think we all can see that he is playing smarter. We'll see a little more each week. His best friend will still be a solid running game, hope Morris can go and the rest will do him good.

Great post. Always enjoy reading your insight as you cut through the bs and get to the truth objectively. I chuckled when I saw "Mojo". What my buddy and I were saying at the Redskins bar during the game. He has lost his mojo. Can't get your mojo back if you have lost a step (speed) and lost the quickness. However, he still does have a good arm, and thankfully can still throw on the run better than anyone in the game. Now ya'll can see why I advocated waiting until the Cowboys game to start him. Just to have given him more time. Still, he would have been thrown to the wolves, at least now he has dusted off the cobwebs and knows his limitations. Very important, knowing your limitations. He continues to learn how to maximize his play given his constraints. I think we all can see that he is playing smarter. We'll see a little more each week. His best friend will still be a solid running game, hope Morris can go and the rest will do him good.

Thanks. :)

I think if everyone can get on board with the baby steps theme expectations will be a lot more in line with reality. Griffin IS improving and I'm sure will continue to but he's still only one guy.

Admittedly I was way off with my 11-5 prediction, but I had no way of knowing the D would take such a tremendous step back when we actually got more talent and returning marquee players. Still I can't help but roll my eyes at the same old over the top angst during a bad stretch of play from the team. Looking at it objectively just about everyone had higher expectations than were truly realistic. The bottom line is the cap penalty has killed this team and there is a serious void of talent in several key places. It does get old saying "maybe next year" but barring a miraculous turn around by the D and Haslett finding a crew to help him pull his head out of his backside this team's ceiling is pretty limited. It can still be a fun year but this team isn't going to be an elite threat until they can overhaul the back 7 on D and find some top grade talent on the O line.

People are visual-oriented, so they tend to do better with images.

So here is what muscle atrophy did to Bob's "100%" legs.

Now, with legs like these, is it any wonder he can't scramble as well ?

news_6200_picture7.jpg

Last edited:
It's literally incredible. My injured leg had atrophy to such a degree in just a 2 week span that you could EASILY tell the difference by looking at my legs let alone an actual touch test...one leg is solid and firm the other is complete gush. It's shocking and regenerating it is HARD. I've been a competitive endurance athlete my entire life and am a "go till ya blow" type of guy. In other words hardcore suffering to the point of puking or collapse are not unusual for me. In that context rehab was still BY FAR the toughest thing physically I've ever done. PT's are slave drivers!

I see white people... they're everywhere, and they don't know that they're white.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.