• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

A new CBA and no lock out soon to be announced?!?

You're too hyperbolic. Again, i think we are thinking similarly. The players physical and mental health needs to be acknowledged and cared for, and the the owners are taking the financial risks. Both sides have something to lose, so both sides should be willing to enter into the give and take process. The owners position to this point seems to be they want players to take more risks (18 games), while also substantially reducing their income/benefits. Given the shameful way the league has treated ex players, the current players are right to fight for as much as they can get now.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I agree: the players should fight for as much as they can get and the owners who make money should dump supporting teams whose local communities cannot support skyrocketing stadium and player contract costs. again, IMO, fans in DC should not be paying to support players in Green Bay. The folks getting ripped are the fans in DC.

Rookie salary cap - I thought most players were in favor of this? I don't think this is one of the sticking points. Maybe the owners want it too low?

Rookie salary cap - I thought most players were in favor of this? I don't think this is one of the sticking points. Maybe the owners want it too low?

From what I have read both sides realize this is a problem. The problem is deciding how much they get and where the extra money goes. I believe the players want the extra money to go to the veterans in some fashion. Not exactly sure what the owners want to do with the savings.

From what I have read both sides realize this is a problem. The problem is deciding how much they get and where the extra money goes. I believe the players want the extra money to go to the veterans in some fashion. Not exactly sure what the owners want to do with the savings.

No doubt they want it to go towards their expenses. Of course the issue is not the rookie pay scale itself, its where the money spent on rookies goes. My bad, didn't think that one through.

Well... doesn't look good right now. Listening to Adam Schefter on Mike and Mike and he seems fairly pessimistic. All the nonsense on both sides with Twitter last night was a bad sign and may have shown how far apart they really are.

Schefter brought up an interesting point. He said with the arrival in DC of all the other owners, and some additional players being brought in as well, there are too many people negotiating right now. Too many chefs in the kitchen...

it's all a bunch of overpaid lawyers collecting fat checks while both sides crap all over the fans. and don't doubt for a moment that the only way the fans figure in is how far either side thinks it can push the envelope. you think either side has it on their agenda ways to make the NFL experience cheaper for the fan?

it's all a bunch of overpaid lawyers collecting fat checks while both sides crap all over the fans. and don't doubt for a moment that the only way the fans figure in is how far either side thinks it can push the envelope. you think either side has it on their agenda ways to make the NFL experience cheaper for the fan?

Heh. Yeah... no? I posted this last week somewhere, nice analogy here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/110304

Not perfect, but a fun read and puts the greed into perspective.

And no, to answer your question, neither side gives two ****s about the fans.

Interesting. Listening to Mike and Mike again in the office. They have on a business analyst (Andrew Brandt), and he says the owners are taking a long term view, while the players are looking short term which is the root of the problem. The owners don't want to turn over the books to the players because things look good in 2010, but they feel the player expenses are outpacing financial growth, but that won't be reflected if they hand over the book.

Also says if they make progress on a couple of issues, there might be another extension. If no extension, could very well be a very long time.

DeMaurice Smith said 18 games is off the table, this guy doesn't believe it. Bargaining chip. Everything is negotiable.

Predicting union decertifies this afternoon. Feels there is a small chance for another extension through the weekend.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/201670/report-trades-free-agency-allowed-by-april

Citing sources close to the labor talks, SI.com's Peter King reports trades and free-agent signings could be allowed by late April or May regardless of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Details are convoluted, but the gist of it is that the NFLPA would decertify, owners would institute a lockout, and the players would then seek an injunction from historically pro-labor Judge David S. Doty. If the injunction is granted, the 2011 league year would commence with trading and free-agency open. The situation is obviously fluid, but there's a possibility that the league year could start the same week as the NFL Draft without benefit of a CBA. Friday night's deadline will determine whether there is an agreement, an extension of talks, or a coming lockout.

Questions. When does a player become a union member? Is it when drafted or signed? The Redskins office is in VA, so does the VA right to work laws apply to NFL union?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.