• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

A Grumpy Fan's Take - Bucs

MikefromOH

The Hall of Famer
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Military Branch
Navy
AGFTbanner.png

There is just so much to unpack from that game Saturday night. Some good, enough bad to write a novel. So, lets dive right on in.

1 - Alex Smith being completely inactive and not even dressed. Really? I didn't hear ANYTHING about that during the week, and Montez taking reps with any of the teams was never reported once. That is a total lack of preparation on the part of the coaches...and almost bit us in the butt when Heinecke was injured. Thank goodness he came back in and didn't miss a single snap.

2 - Ron's lack of emotion. Once again the refs screw us over and Ron does not say anything. What happened to the fiery head coach that will fight for his players? He just kind of stands there and lets whatever happens happen. Gruden did that and it pissed me off every time! Hopefully Ron gets some fire back in his soul and starts to challenge these refs.

3 - Gibson. If anyone on this site thinks he was healthy enough to play I would like to hear their thoughts. He had zero burst, couldn't move the pile, and seemed to be at half speed. He should have never been in there to begin with. Teams aren't fooled by it one bit so he is just a hinderance to the run game. Where was Barber? Why the heck is Lamar Miller even on this team if he's not going to suit up and play?

4 - The OL. Outside of Roullier, this OL is just ridiculous. As soon as Gibson would get the ball he was getting hit. Taylor was running for his life as much as he was able to do anything else. The TD run that he had was ONLY because of the moves he made to get out of that non-existent pocket that was rarely there at all. We need to concentrate on OL during the draft big time this season.

5 - Sims and Sims. They need to be cut and cut immediately. They cost us points, first downs, they kill drives, and the one or 2 plays they have during the games aren't enough to justify them being there. Cam makes it 10x harder on himself than he should. He can sky for a ball and catch between two defenders, but drops the pass that is right on the money. Steven is just not living up to the hype. We need to see if AGG or someone else can do what he does....without all the drops.

6 - Chase Young. Well, this is a first and hopefully only time he is on this list. But, he was nowhere he needed to be all game. He constantly tried the outside move and would be out of the play most of the time. I saw him get blocked by Gronk as well as a RB a few times. For a guy who "wanted Tom" I don't think he did anything he should have. That was terrible.
7 - the coaching. Every single week its the same thing. Turner gets cute and tries to do too much he shouldn't. Not one screen even though we run that with JD better than most teams do. That onside kick....REALLY?!! You thought you would catch them (when the new rules make it nearly impossible) and end up giving Brady a short field while he has momentum?

There were some real positives from the game though. Some things that really help me think we are headed in the right direction.

Taylor is the real deal. He deserves a shot in camp to prove it. With Taylor starting and Allen competing for it we can be set enough at QB that we don't need to try and push for one in the draft.

Logan Thomas has emerged as one of the receivers we know we can count on with sure hands. That means we can finally cut ties with Sprinkle. That guy....sheesh! We need to concentrate on WR in the draft, and in doing so, will help Logan even more to get open an develop more.

I am still just happy we made it to the game. As far as I was concerned this was just house money we were playing with, and no matter the outcome we proved we could do it. Everyone who watched the game told me they were very impressed by the team. If Chase was a factor, if Gibson was out, if a few catches were made....this could be a different kind of post. Next season I think it will be.

Hail!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The team did about as much as we could have asked for in year 1 of a rebuild finding a way to win 7 games. That is a testament to the staff and leadership group in charge of overseeing real progress on the football field.

All in all, it was going to take an absolute Herculean effort and perfect execution on the part of a raw football team to defeat the greatest player who has ever stepped on the field and his experience on Saturday.

In what was a tall order for our squad, some of our shortcomings should not have come as a surprise to anyone. It is sadly part of the growth process and a reminder of the type of commitment it requires to be of championship quality.

In regards to Chase Young, I don't know if it was scheme or that he just hasn't developed and inside technique but I can't recall once him trying to go inside, it was always trying to beat their LT outside and Brady gets rid of the ball too quickly for the outside rush. We needed to get the interior rush up the middle for that to work and we didn't stunt inside at all. Very confused by the defensive game plan.

Last edited:
Strategic stupidity is something you're going to get with Rivera. Not taking the XP puts an added psychological burden on the players. 7 points deficient gives a sense that a game can easily be tied. 8 point deficient have a greater sense of uncertainty.

Rivera has never been hailed as some strategic guru, just like Mike Shanahan couldn't field a defense. Rivera is valuable for establishing a culture, but without tactician coordinators, he's dead in the water.

I wouldn't fault Rivera for not showing fire, the chemo treatments will take out a lot from a person.

And hey, we had Adrian Peterson in the building and let him go...Scotty simply can't deal with a C-Class Mercedes because he was given a Bentley in Christian McCaffery.

Chase getting stymied is not surprising. Rookie with not too much "technical training" is gonna get shut down by an experienced LT who doesn't suck. He's not quite rookie Von Miller.

The sooner Apke's ass is punted off the team, the better. The guy managed to screw up a special teams play now that FS is no longer his main job.

That would be the first I've seen of that and I'm looking for it. I hated Gruden for that stupid stare when the refs were dogging us.

If it's true, good!

some guy on the facebook group was trying to tell me that scherff is awesome and worth a cap killing contract because he was all pro. lol

we need a complete overhaul on the Oline roullier is solid but replaceable, moses hasnt taken that next step and makes way too many mistakes, we have no LT, if we do not push all our draft picks hard at Oline and hopefully sign a solid FA, we may as well get used to being just good enough to get beat, and winning the division with a losing record only shows its the nfc least again

he is most definitely NOT worth a cap killing contract. I would like to keep him longer, if possible. But, I do not want to break the bank on any of the OL we have now.

Scherff is not a RG just like Moses isn't a RT. They are both way out of position and one of them needs to slide to the left...cha cha....slide two times...cha cha cha. Moses did well at LT.

some guy on the facebook group was trying to tell me that scherff is awesome and worth a cap killing contract because he was all pro. lol

we need a complete overhaul on the Oline roullier is solid but replaceable, moses hasnt taken that next step and makes way too many mistakes, we have no LT, if we do not push all our draft picks hard at Oline and hopefully sign a solid FA, we may as well get used to being just good enough to get beat, and winning the division with a losing record only shows its the nfc least again

I think that was me, then the post just disappeared from the page...

I wasn't suggesting a cap killing contract.. my point was the o line is not in NEED of overhaul, it CAN be solidified with 1 addition... LT. That is not to say there isn't room for improvement... just that the sum of all parts may be larger depending on how you want to strategize. I am a major proponent of building the line, i've been screaming about it for years. I will also say that going into next season, I think we can compete with Schweitzer / Roullier / Scherff / Moses. The glaring hole there is LT. Add a stud LT and the rest of the line gets easier. If the right guy is there to upgrade LG and RT that would be great, but again... i think we can win with those 4 plus an anchor at LT.

I don't agree, we need a LT, a RT (moses is a turnstile in the passing game) schweitzer is weak and doesn't get any push in the run game which is why gibson gets buried as he is getting the ball far too often. we desperately need a LT, Scherff would be better at LG, roullier is decent but nothing great we just got used to really bad centre play the past decade. scherff is he doesnt cost an insane amount to keep is the only starter who would be "safe"

I never said anything different than that. I said that there is plenty of room for improvement, but depending how the offense is built, I would personally be 'ok' not necessarily excited, to go into next season with LT being addressed and other positions being boosted, primarily QB. Heinicke was the highest rated QB we've had on the this team in 14 years against the Bucs. He was able to evade, extend and find open receivers down field. I'm not saying I'm ready to anoint him starter, but it's a window of the abilities of this offense with a QB that can move. Haskins and Alex Smith can't move. Allen can to a point, and he looked effective in this offense.

Would I 'LIKE' to upgrade LT / LG / RT while also finding a replacement for Scherff because I don't WANT to pay him big money? Sure. But that's not going to happen in 1 offseason. I don't want to use EVERY draft pick and EVERY $$ in free agency on the O-line because I think this team can be close... so what's the fastest way to contention? 4 rookies on the O-line surrounding Roullier? That's simply not practical.

You know who else got written off as a chump by this team? Austin Reiter. Guess who won a ring as the starting Center for the KC Chiefs? Offensive ability and pass pro is not just simply O-line beating D-line. Schematically you can negate a pass rush if you've got abilities like screen passes, a QB that can move, speed weapons, and the ability to chip block with TEs and RBs.

OK, but let's consider things. A lot of teams are going to be MILLIONS over the cap heading into the 2021 league year after the Super Bowl.

There are going to be a number of very good players that end up as free agents on the market not because of age or performance but because of $$.

Going into that kind of environment if I am the Washington GM, am I going to sign a 29 year old guard in Scherff who has missed significant time in the past due to injury to a premium contract reflecting dollars given to players PRE COVID?

No.

I would take advantage of our cap dollars and go out and snap up quality players from other teams at the OL positions that will not be signing bank-busting deals for 2021.

You may see some VERY good players take short 1 or 2 year deals to ride out 2021 and into 2022 to become free agents after the pandemic is over the economy in sports/entertainment has stabilized.

Let's say you can pay a Scherff $15M to stay in Washington on a multi-year deal to play guard but Dallas has to release Zack Martin because of the cap and you can get him on a short deal for less money?

To me 2021 is going to be a lot like the end of the 1985 season when the USFL folded and Bobby Beathard/Joe Gibbs were ahead of the curve in being able to bring Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders, Kelvin Bryant and ultimately Doug Williams to the Redskins.

That was a haul of talent that made up for the fact Washington was drafting near the end of each round for years and gave us players that helped win 2 Super Bowls over the next 6-7 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.