• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2022 Draft Thread - OP w/ Trades / Picks / UDFA

Neophyte

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Welcome to the 2022 Washington Commanders draft thread!

Trades
Washington #11 to New Orleans for #16, #98 (3), #120(4)
Washington #120 (4) AND #189 to Carolina for #144 (5) AND #149 (5)

Picks (names link to individual pick threads) - Highlight packages are linked
#16 - Jahan Dotson - WR - Penn State - Jahan Dotson Highlights
#47 - Phidarian Mathis - DT - Alabama - Phidarian Mathis Highlights
#98 - Brian Robinson Jr - RB - Alabama - Brian Robinson Highlights
#113 - Percy Butler - S - Louisiana - Percy Butler Highlights
#144 - Sam Howell - QB - North Carolina - Sam Howell Highlights
#149 - Cole Turner - TE - Nevada - Cole Turner Highlights
#230 - Chris Paul - OG - Tulsa - Chris Paul Highlights
#240 - Christian Holmes - CB - Oklahoma State - Christian Holmes Highlights
(Holmes highlight package is from Missouri, he transferred to Oklahoma State but I can't find a package form him from there)

UDFA:

Ferrod Gardner - LB - Lousiana - 6'1" - 216LB - #7 - Ferrod Gardner Highlights
Jequez Ezzard - WR - Sam Houston St - 5'9" - 190LB - #12 - Jequez Ezzard Highlights
Tyrese Robinson - OL - Oklahoma - 6'3" - 317LB
Drew White - LB - Notre Dame - 6'0" - 228LB - #40 - Drew White Highlights
Cole Kelley - QB - Southeastern Louisiana - Cole Kelley Highlights
Kyric McGowan - WR - Georgia Tech - 5'11" - 200LB - #2 - Kric McGowan Highlights
Curtis Hodges - TE - Arizona State - 6'8" - 257LB
Josh Drayden - CB - Cal - 5'10" - 184 - #20 Joshua Drayden Highlights
Tre Walker - LB - Idaho - 6'0" - 235 - #8 Tre Walker Highlights
Armani Rogers - TE - Ohio - 6'5 - 225 - Converted QB. No real highlights as a TE available

Last edited by a moderator:
Would like for them to draft Charlie Kolar TE Iowa State.

6'6 250 lbs and from what I've seen and read, a Qb's best friend.

Strengths
  • Outstanding student with excellent work habits.
  • Premium size and length measurements.
  • Creates route leverage through his approach angles.
  • Human shield in hiding his catch space from man coverage.
  • Soft hands; rarely ever drops the on-target throws.
  • Makes catches with twitchy, late hands.
  • Helps quarterback by working back to throws.
  • Fits up into blocks with a broad base.
  • Unafraid of catching through the collision.
  • Footwork and athletic ability for blocking duties in space.

Last edited:
Ron calling Mathis got a pretty cool reaction from his family

Oh and count me in for liking the Howell pick, kid has an arm. Hopefully they bring him along correctly and sets them up for a decade.

I wish I knew who it was, but apparently on Mad Dog Radio on XM, they don't like to broadcast who their hosts are if you aren't the main attraction. Anyway, there was some guy on the radio yesterday that was gushing about Howell and what a great pick it was. He said that instead of comparing him to Baker Mayfield, everyone should be comparing him to Dak Prescott. He also said that if he had come out last year, that he would have been a top draft pick. I don't know if that is true or not, but this radio host was really talking him up.

Chris Simms talking about Percy Butler

If it doesn't automatically take you there, he starts talking about Butler at 57:35

So - when I listened to Rivera go through all of the picks with Julie Donaldson (worth a listen if you haven't yet heard it) - he talked Percy Butler playing at least half the snaps right out of the gate. That's how high they were on him. The other surprise for me related to Howell. I really figured getting him in the 5th round (at least a round later per Rivera than they thought he would go), I really thought that spelled the end for Taylor Heinicke. But Rivera made it clear, Heinicke is the back up and he seemed 100% comfortable with that. That just surprised me as I felt like maybe the drafting of Howell meant they weren't as high on TH as we fans tended to be (even recognizing his limitations).

So - when I listened to Rivera go through all of the picks with Julie Donaldson (worth a listen if you haven't yet heard it) - he talked Percy Butler playing at least half the snaps right out of the gate. That's how high they were on him. The other surprise for me related to Howell. I really figured getting him in the 5th round (at least a round later per Rivera than they thought he would go), I really thought that spelled the end for Taylor Heinicke. But Rivera made it clear, Heinicke is the back up and he seemed 100% comfortable with that. That just surprised me as I felt like maybe the drafting of Howell meant they weren't as high on TH as we fans tended to be (even recognizing his limitations).

I imagine they view Heineke as a spot starter. Likely we don't see Howell unless multiple injuries or it's clear the season had gotten away from us.

If we're 4 - 4 and Wentz turns an ankle and is out 3 weeks, chances are Taylor gets the nod. If we're 3 - 7 and the end is clear... we see Howell.

1651964587390.png

Interesting signing... I mentioned before, there are some hidden gems among HBCU schools. Hope this kid is one of them... BTW - that salary is approaching what Taylor Heinicke got his first season, so they must be serious about him.

I hope this guy succeeds, since I hope everyone they sign succeeds. Hidden gems are awesome. But is it normal for and I drafted free agent to sign a 3 year deal before even playing a game?

I hope this guy succeeds, since I hope everyone they sign succeeds. Hidden gems are awesome. But is it normal for and I drafted free agent to sign a 3 year deal before even playing a game?

Looks like it's the standard UDFA contract. I'd assume it's the 'scale' set by the CBA

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220518-092339_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220518-092339_Chrome.jpg
    514 KB · Views: 33
Thanks ST. I guess we are out of touch with NFL contracts because that seemed like a lot to me as well. I wonder if those contracts are contingent on making the roster (active or practice squad) or if the team has to pay out regardless?

Thanks ST. I guess we are out of touch with NFL contracts because that seemed like a lot to me as well. I wonder if those contracts are contingent on making the roster (active or practice squad) or if the team has to pay out regardless?

I thought the same thing.

I do know that during the offseason, only the top 51 contracts actually count against the cap... as detailed here

What is the “top 51 rule” when it comes to offseason salary cap space for NFL teams?
During the offseason, the NFL does not count the salary of every player on the team towards the salary cap. Instead, they use a process of only counting the 51 most expensive contracts in terms of the team’s salary cap hits. This rule stretches until the start of the season. At that point, all 53 players on the roster count towards the salary cap.

Looking at Ferrod Gardner's contract (assuming most look very similar) the dead money is almost NOTHING if he were to get cut.

1652886411068.png

I did find that PS players DO NOT count against the cap... but those numbers are not what is pictured above. There are set values based on their NFL tenure that determine what they make PER WEEK.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.