• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2012 FA qb's and draft strategy

SkinsOrlando

I took the red pill
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Kent State
First, I anticipate we'll pick between 5-7 (albeit 7 is on the WAY highside) and need to make the most of all opportunities.

Here's the list of FA qb's for next year from http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html -I have left Drew Brees off the list because as the link states, no way he's leaving NO.

Kyle Orton (DEN)
Donovan McCareerOver (MIN)
Alex Smith (SF)
Jason Campbell (OAK)
Matt Flynn (GB)
Chris Redman (ATL)
Derek Anderson (CAR)
Shaun Hill (DET)
Drew Stanton (DET)
Brady Quinn (DEN)
David Garrard (FA)
Luke McCown (JAC)
Chad Henne (MIA)
Sage Rosenfels (MIA)
David Carr (NYG)
Mark Brunell (NYJ) -
Kevin O'Connell (NYJ)
Kyle Boller (OAK)
Vince Young (PHI)
Charlie Batch (PIT)
Dennis Dixon (PIT)
Byron Leftwich (PIT)
Charlie Whitehurst (SEA)
A.J. Feeley (STL)
Josh Johnson (TB)
Rex Grossman (WAS)
Richard Bartel (ARZ) - Restricted
Max Hall (ARZ) - Exclusive Rights
Tyler Palko (KC) - Restricted
Brian Hoyer (NE) - Restricted
Chase Daniel (NO) - Restricted

We will take a qb in the draft, I am even more convinced especially after seeing this list (not that I wasn't before) but we will still need massive O-line help or we face a potential Ramsey.2 issue. This is what leads me in the category of signing Garrard as a stop-gap and hopefully trading down and picking up O-line, O-line, O-line, along with a developmental qb. We do not have the luxury of throwing a rookie qb right into the mix, it would be disastrous. Allen did a great job of trading down last year and "hoping" that he can create some draft packages that enable us to trade down in the first and taking the developmental qb while still being able to obtain solid O-line prospects. Of course, we could also take a qb at 5-7 and hope it's the can't miss prospect we need, I lack confidence that this scenario is the right one.

So let's get everyone else's thoughts, and let's also just state in the beginning anyone who says bring Beck back for another year is immediately credited for posting extremely drunk.

Hell let's re-unite Brunell with Campbell and call it 07 again lol

I was reading some stuff that a few insiders posted in the last couple of days - here are their thoughts.

The Redskins will acquire a WR via FA. Bowe will be their main target and DeSean Jackson will be the second choice. Other targets could be Colston and Vincent Jackson.

A QB will be chosen in the first round and will make moves to get the player they want.

Players are disgusted with Beck, but they know he will be the QB the rest of the way. They also realize that QB will be a target in round one.

Last edited:
We cannot go another season without drafting a franchise QB. Wanna know why?

The Redskins will lose, and I mean LOSE, their fanbase. Guys who own websites will tire of cheerleading a ghosttown from November on. All the alcohol in Maryland will not be enough to make fans want to brave the Beltway to see this team.

We need a QB. A young promising one. And it doesn't matter what it takes.

And don't tell me about all the other 'needs'. None of it matters if we don't have a legitimate QB (or at least future legitimate QB) on the roster.

The Redskins will lose, and I mean LOSE, their fanbase. Guys who own websites will tire of cheerleading a ghosttown from November on. All the alcohol in Maryland will not be enough to make fans want to brave the Beltway to see this team.

And don't tell me about all the other 'needs'. None of it matters if we don't have a legitimate QB (or at least future legitimate QB) on the roster.

Absolutley.

A QB will be taken with our first round pick or else you will see something similar to October 2009, essentially a fan revolt outside of Ashburn.

That is the one thing that has given me any hope with this team going forward, that we will get our guy in this draft and there are plenty of options.

I had been hoping to "Suck for Luck" since this time LAST YEAR and figure out any way to get him. I am still willing to do what Homer said in his blog post, i.e 4 first round picks for him.

But make no mistake, a 1st round pick, (hopeully top 3 pick) will be used on our future QB. Or else like a lot of people, I am out as it is clear Mike Shanahan has no idea what is required to win in the 2011 NFL.

Well, on an unrelated note...nice to see you :cheers:

That's why I think we will make a run at Luck. There are some hints out there which supports this idea. It doesn't mean we will get him, but making an honest effort is very likely.

Too, it sounds like the "fallback" would be RG3.

Well, on an unrelated note...nice to see you :cheers:

I am constantly lurking :)

Your post hit that chord, this fanbase NEEDS a rookie QB to rally around, some sort of hope that the future will be better.

Right now, there is 0 hope. Its pretty depressing

That's why I think we will make a run at Luck. There are some hints out there which supports this idea. It doesn't mean we will get him, but making an honest effort is very likely.

Too, it sounds like the "fallback" would be RG3.

I agree. In fact I feel very strongly that if we are in the top 3, which isn't out of the question, we will be able to get him. I really don't think for his career that he would want to be a part of the mess in Indy without Peyton, or sit behind Peyton for 3-4 years

One thing I should add, I know for a fact Luck spent a good chunk of last summer in DC. He was a common sight in Georgetown over the summer :)

Ismail, I know he was in Georgetown last summer. My son in law spotted him on a few occasions - first time was a double take ("Is that who I think it is"??? :) ).

Rumors have it that he will pull an Elway and try to get traded if the team picking first is not to his liking. He wants to be close enough to family (Morgantown) and play for a coaching staff that is QB focused.

Rumors have it that he will pull an Elway and try to get traded if the team picking first is not to his liking. He wants to be close enough to family (Morgantown) and play for a coaching staff that is QB focused.

That drops us out of contention then, doesn't it?

My strategy would be to wait until the beginning of free agency, and then draft day, to actually be able to make an informed decision. Since the FA list, and the projected capabilities of the FA's, along with the projections of the draft prospects and their expected in the NFL, will change umpteen times between now and then. Not to mention the fact that there are 31 other teams in the league that could throw a monkey wrench in our plans, whatever they are, and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it.

All I'm interested in is how to beat Miami this week.

IF we can get Luck, that would be fine, but I'm not quite willing to mortgage the future to do it. By the "future", I mean giving up the picks to FIX THE ****ING O-LINE. DOES ANYONE AT REDSKINS PARK HEAR ME??????????? I'VE BEEN SAYING IT FOR 10 FRIGGIN YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FIX THE LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEE

*amn straight!

I KNOW they will draft QB in the first round. My question: will they draft o-line in the lower rounds on the idea that they are skilled at finding gems?

also...suppose there are some gems the team covets later in the first round...do you trade future picks to get your guy now? Shanahan will be entering year 3 and has to produce.

Ismail, I know he was in Georgetown last summer. My son in law spotted him on a few occasions - first time was a double take ("Is that who I think it is"??? :) ).

That drops us out of contention then, doesn't it?

The Shanahans are QB-focused, and we are close to Morgantown. How would this drop us out of contention, exactly?

I'm not sure we will get lucky enough to pick in slots 5-7. Right now, as we speak, there are 11 teams with worse or the same record as the Skins. ELEVEN.

We have games left on the schedule with 3 of those 11 teams (Miami, Minnesota and Philly).

I think it is very possible that a lot of teams will be sucking scum at the bottom of the barrel this year, more than usual anyway. Miami and Indy both figured to have much better years but QB injuries have left both in race for the Top Pick. St Louis figured to contend in the NFCW and injuries to receivers and defensive backs have left them in the race for the Top Pick. There are 3 teams right there I thought would be picking in the middle of the 1st round or later this year.

Luck might be this year’s “can’t miss kid” but there are a few other legitimate options that’ll be considered top ten prospects. Some of these guys have the potential to be very good who might be available when we pick. Some are JRs so they might not come out. Here are the guys not named Andrew Luck who are likely to go in the 1st or early 2nd round.

Matt Barkley – USC 6'2" - 220 lbs.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664140

Landry Jones – Oklahoma 6’4” – 230lbs.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1630853

Ryan Tannenhill – Texas A&M 6’4” – 222lbs.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1273654

Robert Griffin – Baylor 6'2" - 220 lbs.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ffin-iii-is-next-transcendent-nfl-quarterback

I'm not sure we will get lucky enough to pick in slots 5-7. Right now, as we speak, there are 11 teams with worse or the same record as the Skins. ELEVEN.

We have games left on the schedule with 3 of those 11 teams (Miami, Minnesota and Philly).

I think it is very possible that a lot of teams will be sucking scum at the bottom of the barrel this year, more than usual anyway. Miami and Indy both figured to have much better years but QB injuries have left both in race for the Top Pick. St Louis figured to contend in the NFCW and injuries to receivers and defensive backs have left them in the race for the Top Pick. There are 3 teams right there I thought would be picking in the middle of the 1st round or later this year.

st l and philly won't be picking QBs and neither will Jax, Cleveland (most likely though I'm not sure on this one), Carolina, AZ or Minn. our only worry are teams who need QBs and have worse records: indy, miami, seattle, denver. so I'm pulling for these teams to win!!!

Cross Denver off. They wont give up on Tebow yet.

I agree with those who think a QB is a must for us this upcoming draft. I also think four firsts four Luck (or any player) is flat-out insane.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.