• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2011 Women's World Cup of Soccer

I give them props for it though, Mike. The only way it will ever get any bigger in the US is if it gets talked about on the sports channels and local evening news just like football, baseball, basketball and hockey.

I wouldn't list the NHL with the other big 3 - hockey is just barely starting to get ESPN coverage. The Stanley Cup Finals were routinely in the bottom half of Sportscenter behind baseball and NBA highlights...they're still a readheaded stepchild for sure!

I wouldn't list the NHL with the other big 3 - hockey is just barely starting to get ESPN coverage. The Stanley Cup Finals were routinely in the bottom half of Sportscenter behind baseball and NBA highlights...they're still a readheaded stepchild for sure!

Nationally, sure. But here in Dallas it is not uncommon for the Stars to headline the local newscasts, even for just opening training camp or a regular season win. FC Dallas would have to win the MLS Cup to do that and even then there likely wouldn't be any player interviews.

2:30 pm today... my eyes will be glued to the set rooting on our gals. I have not had a chance to watch the Japanese team in action, so no idea what we will be faced with today, although so far, the US squad has looked like they are on a mission.

I fully expected the Americans to lose against France the other day. We were being outplayed, were coming off an incredibly draining and unlikely emotional win against an arch-rival in Brazil, most of it played a man down - a let down, or simply not having enough gas in the tank would have been entirely understandable. And yet, they flipped a switch at halftime and just dominated to take the win and keep the dream alive.

Props to this team for even getting to a World Cup final - pretty amazing accomplishment. I've fallen in love with this team and their guts, gritty play, and determination :love:

I'm hoping they aren't done yet.

A completely one-sided game so far. They need to convert one of these many opportunities though.

Yeah...12-5 shot advantage and it really was more dominant than that sounds. Gotta start finishing those runs. We looked like hornets out there the first 15 minutes or so, totally disrupting and shutting down Japan's passing game. Gotta keep that up.

It's so dangerous to miss so many chances and allow the other team to hang around.

Cheney out with an ankle.

Another missed opportunity!

This thing aught be 5-0.

*shakes head*

That's a good start. The US subs in this cup have been amazing. I think we must be tapped into the psychic hotline :)

Will goalie size difference matter?

Nope.

Last edited:
Idiot coach lost it for the USA when she took Rapinoe out. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Idiot coach lost it for the USA when she took Rapinoe out. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

I totally disagree. Rapinoe was looking tired, sloppy, and ragged - in fact, just before she was pulled, she interfered with one of our fullbacks in the box who was trying to clear a ball right in front of the goal and almost gave Japan an easy goal.

We lost the game for 2 simple reasons. First of all, you can't take 12 shots in the first half and not score a goal, particularly when there were at least two of them that were gimme goals. Secondly, the players let the pressure get to them on the PKs, plain and simple. When you put a PK 5 feet above the bar - an inexcusable mistake - that's nerves, plain and simple.

At this point, I can't help but think there was a bit of Karma at play here and I don't mean bad Karma for the US but earned, good Karma for Japan.

True dat Neo...that's got to take a little of the pain away from the US players, knowing what Japan has been through and that this will help lift the spirits there some and let them enjoy some national pride.

We will agree to disagree. When the game is on the line, the best players want to be in the game. You find that extra ounce of energy to carry on to the finish. I think she would've been fine.

Ultimately, this has got to be Dan Snyder's fault.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.