• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2011 Winter WX thread

Sarge

We have a winter storm warning for 4-8 inches out here in the valley. Hope this doesn't mean a long, cold nasty winter

Yeah, the NWS just upped the totals here. It could stick around until Monday, but quickly melt by afternoon.

This is October. Sheeeesh.

At an undisclosed location, watching the radar from deep in the bunker:)

All right then. Just curious if you're talking about the Shenandoah Valley, Blue Grass Valley, etc? Here in Waynesboro, a couple of inches are possible, depending on who you listen to, but I was down in Roanoke today and it was some sort of cross between rain and ice/snow for a while there.

Really weird.

Winter Storm Warning for Frederick. 3-5 inches possible

If it happens, it'll be a wet, damaging snow.

I'm out in WInchester. Surrounded by punji sticks and claymores. Turned the correct way;)

THey're calling for 4-8 here now

It's a sea of white here. Snow just ended. It's one thing to say this in December. Or January. Or February. Heck, even November or March. But it is October!

It will quickly melt by Monday, but this is the first time I have ever seen an accumulating snow in October. Weird. Winter solstace is still seven weeks away. It could be quite a winter up here in the northeast.

Well I'm happy to report that here in Frederick, it was much ado about nothing. Snowed all day yesterday. But, it was too warm on the ground, and more importantly, the roads, for it to stick around. Melting about as fast as it fell. There were a few times that things would start to pile up, and then a half hour later it would be gone again. By midday today, any remaining evidence should be gone.

Need to start thinking about next weekend or very early the following week. There are some models that are suggesting a "Miller B" type snowstorm for the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast.

Need to start thinking about next weekend or very early the following week. There are some models that are suggesting a "Miller B" type snowstorm for the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast.
BB, are there any pages you recommend for amateur weather nerds with snowfall forecast models? I used to have a bunch of great ones before my system crashed and I lost them all. Since I had them all saved, I never bothered to learn the names, and I can't seem to find any other than Earl Barker's page, but I'm not really a fan of his models.

This is a good place to start.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/

Keep it professional. And no "will it snow on Wednesday" type of questions. They're strict, but you will learn a lot.
Awesome, thank you so much. Don't worry man, I'm a weather nerd from way back :D I don't ask people about the weather, I prefer to try and figure it out on my own. I even have my own weather station that's now linked up on wunder. I will likely not post very much at all, and when it isn't politics, football or religion related, I am actually a really sane and likeable guy :laugh:

I have gotten my hurricane forecasting to 74% accuracy over the years (way better than the tv guys), but I'm still working on my snow forecasting skills. Last year, I called the Christmas/day after storm almost dead on 12 days before it hit. I said we'd have a white Christmas (it didn't start until Christmas evening) and that we'd see 14"+ here in VB. I got laughed at right up until I posted a picture of the 18" I had at my house :D other than that, I have been really hit or miss on the snow, but working on it.

I'd love to get a degree in meteorology, but everyone I talk to about it tells me to go out to Oklahoma for school. I'd prefer to stay local, but don't know which schools here have a reputable program for it.

I'll take the winter weather like we're having right now anytime. Got to love mid 60's for end of January.

My concern is will we pay for this.

I'll take the winter weather like we're having right now anytime. Got to love mid 60's for end of January.

My concern is will we pay for this.
I sure hope so. Nothing like an early-mid march blizzard to make me feel better about a mild winter. I love snow :D

The only plus side to this weather is that the fishing has been phenomenal. I can't remember the last time I ate so much fish.

I don't know how much will fall, but Saturday night and into Sunday could see several inches falling in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast. The models are still trying to nail this storm, so I will have updates as we go along.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.