• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

14-27 Shouldn't Breed Arrogance

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
That's Shanahan's record since coming to Washington. The home record over that span has to be among the worst in the NFL.

And yet Mike Shanahan on TV and radio seems to give the impression most of the questions about the team and its lack of competitiveness he is asked are either irrelevant or ill- thought out.

The post-game presser after the Carolina loss was the first time I think we saw the real man. He looked grave and worried and accompanied that look with some words that clearly seemed to be a bit defeatist, although in the end accurate.

The Redskins as constructed are still a mess. Yes there are a few more talented younger players to get excited about, but on a 45 man active roster there are still far too many holes coming down the stretch of Year 3.

Shanahan knows that. That was what his somber mood only emphasized.

The fact he came back 24 hours later and like Andy Reid tried to talk about fighting the good fight, etc, it really doesn't wash away the fact there are more than the few casual observers that are beginning to think this staff is now adrift much like Turner in San Diego.

No answers. The occasional emotion and then the retreat back to Coachspeak'.

But at least Shanahan didn't come off as dismissive and combative when given a dose of the truth.

Maybe its a start.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

He's a disaster. The Haslettt hiring should have been the first clue. Slowik, Danny Smith. Throw on a good bit of nepotism to fuel that fire, and boom...dysfunction abounds.

I'm starting to have crazy thoughts like maybe it's the city...like players just don't want to play football when living in D.C.

Bruce Allen has been great at organizing the charity golf tournaments and alumni weekend.

Any good coach will look at his past and recognize it for what it is - the past. When Coach Shanahan came here, he should've said that this is like starting over and any previous success means diddly squat. It does not take away or diminish the success that he had in Denver, but it means nothing in DC. Those Super Bowl trophies in Denver are nice, but it means nothing to the Redskins fan base.

I still think he can turn the team around, but the window is narrowing. It's time to ditch the past entirely and coach the team with a sense of urgency, not arrogance. What worked in Denver can apply to DC, but only to a certain point. The running game is a good example of what can translate from one place to another. Ditto for the quarterbacking (it helps to have a franchise player at that critical position). Other nuances of the game can translate too, but the personnel is needed to accomplish these lofty goals.

Great coaches make adjustments when needed. In the second tenure of Joe Gibbs, he knew some changes were needed. Our coaching legend was willing to delegate much of the offensive play calling authority to others. In the short time during his second stint, Coach Gibbs was able to return the Redskins to the playoffs twice and was probably one blown play from going to the Super Bowl.

In contrast, Coach Shanahan is heading toward a third season where the playoffs are nothing but a dream. Some early stumbles with trades, disgruntled players, and an entire offseason lost to a lockout afforded him some cushion from criticism. However, the time has come for these coaches to step up and make the Redskins a consistent winner and playoff team. Fans know that the coach will be given one more season to accomplish these goals, but that is the only assurance that he should be given now.

I was willing to give Mike Shanahan a lot of leeway when he took the job here. Hall of Fame QB or not he was able to win two Super Bowls in Denver and that counts for quite a bit in my book. It was widely reported that when he took the job he told Dan not to hire him if he wasn’t going to be willing to give him five full years for this rebuild. Was he being realistic looking at our roster or just covering his rear?

Joe Gibbs took a lot of heat when he returned to DC from both the media and some fans. Here are the facts though; He was able to coach a team with a questionable level of talent to two playoff appearances in his four years, even though the game had “passed him by”. That says a lot about Gibbs but is says something about Shanahan as well.

I think the overall level of talent and depth of the team is better than it was when Shanahan took over. I’m not going to justify that statement by going down both rosters position by position; it’s just my seat of the pants assessment (QB is a no-brainer). So why aren’t we winning? Why does it seem like we’re not only getting beat but getting out coached? Why did the head coach sound like he was ready to flush the season and start evaluating talent for next season? Why do we have one of the worst defenses in the league? Why do we have the same old feeling with this season as we had with the last four or five?

Shanahan has to own this and fix it, quickly. He can try to place the blame anywhere he wants, but it all comes back to him in the end. I’m not sure Dan is going to tolerate another 5-11 season regardless of the excuses and I’m not sure he should.

I’m curious to see how the team responds after the bye week. All is not lost, but we need a win in the biggest of ways.

*edit* BB had some of my same points but since i wrote this before lunch but forgot to post it I decided to post it now*

The Redskins defense is the most penalized in the league.

Time for Shanahan and Haslett to tell Hall and Wilson to stop arguing with the refs and STOP the opposition's receivers!

The lack of discipline is something that is not tied to talent, but to character.

There is a lack of discipline here that extends to the Josh Morgan penalty that cost the team against the Rams to the ill-timed personal fouls on defense spread across the past several contests.

It's one thing for a player to get beat downfield and have to take a PI penalty to save a touchdown.

But personal fouls for unsportsmanlike conduct accomplish nothing.

You know what Joe Gibbs greatest trait was in his first go around as Redskins' coach?

The Redskins simply didn't have many stupid ballplayers.

Washington had guys that studied and prepared and didn't beat themselves.

I think in some cases the Redskins today don't take into consideration those intangibles in some of these acquisitions.

And it has cost the team in games in 2012.

I was willing to give Mike Shanahan a lot of leeway when he took the job here. Hall of Fame QB or not he was able to win two Super Bowls in Denver and that counts for quite a bit in my book. It was widely reported that when he took the job he told Dan not to hire him if he wasn’t going to be willing to give him five full years for this rebuild. Was he being realistic looking at our roster or just covering his rear?

Joe Gibbs took a lot of heat when he returned to DC from both the media and some fans. Here are the facts though; He was able to coach a team with a questionable level of talent to two playoff appearances in his four years, even though the game had “passed him by”. That says a lot about Gibbs but is says something about Shanahan as well.

I think the overall level of talent and depth of the team is better than it was when Shanahan took over. I’m not going to justify that statement by going down both rosters position by position; it’s just my seat of the pants assessment (QB is a no-brainer). So why aren’t we winning? Why does it seem like we’re not only getting beat but getting out coached? Why did the head coach sound like he was ready to flush the season and start evaluating talent for next season? Why do we have one of the worst defenses in the league? Why do we have the same old feeling with this season as we had with the last four or five?

Shanahan has to own this and fix it, quickly. He can try to place the blame anywhere he wants, but it all comes back to him in the end. I’m not sure Dan is going to tolerate another 5-11 season regardless of the excuses and I’m not sure he should.

I’m curious to see how the team responds after the bye week. All is not lost, but we need a win in the biggest of ways.

*edit* BB had some of my same points but since i wrote this before lunch but forgot to post it I decided to post it now*
I blogged it.

"I think the overall level of talent and depth of the team is better than it was
Shanahan has to own this and fix it, quickly. He can try to place the blame anywhere he wants, but it all comes back to him in the end. I’m not sure Dan is going to tolerate another 5-11 season regardless of the excuses and I’m not sure he should."

I think that a 5-11 season is wishful thiking. I do not see us getting there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.