• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What would it take for you to question faith in Scot McCloughan?

I think Scot McC gave a very well thought out explanation of why they took the 5th year option. I'll try not to repeat stuff I've said in other threads, but it's difficult.

Allow me to consider McD5's arguments one by one...

1) $16M worth of risk: Every team who guarantees a player money assumes some level of risk... Currently, there are 17 teams who have at least verbally committed to exercising the 5th year option. While the money is not inconsequential, the actual risk is small and can be managed. If Robert starts to revert to 2013/14 form, we can bench him. Technically, Indy (Luck) & Miami (Tannehill) are assuming the same risk with their top 10 pick QBs. Anyone can receive an injury that wipes out an entire season at any time.

2) $16M: Sam Bradford is the 16th ranked QB by salary cap and counts for $13M on average every year. Andy Dalton's contract averages $16M a year and he is the 14th ranked QB, so you see... $16M is about the going rate for an average to decent QB in the NFL THIS YEAR. Next year, who knows what the average will be... However, Luck & Tannehill will both be making $16M that same year. Of course, everyone (including RGIII), if they aren't cut, they will be negotiated so that the $16M will be spread across multiple years and they will undoubtedly count for far less than $16M in 2016.

3) Huge history of injuries: Robert has missed only 1 game in 2012 & 7 games last season. Each year, he started the season on the active roster. What we're talking about is him receiving an injury at the end of next season that makes him unable to pass a physical in March 2016. Even if Robert is injured, if he shows value as a good QB in 2015, they will renegotiate his deal. All that matters is that Robert plays well next year and earns the job as starting QB for the future. Injury doesn't matter... Robert's performance is what matters most.

4) Not anywhere near the top of the league: I agree he isn't a top 15 QB based on his performances in 2013/2014. But, the Redskins haven't had a QB who warranted a top 10 salary in a number of decades. Maybe we just don't appreciate how much other teams are paying for average QBs. It's a 1 year commitment of $16M IF he is on the roster in September 2016 or can't play after March 2016... BTW, Aaron Rodgers has a career ending injury this year, the Packers are on the hook for $54M guaranteed... Just let that sink in. How much do you think Andrew Luck will be signing for in 2016? You don't think Seattle wishes they took Russell Wilson in the 1st round instead of Bruce Irvin? They decided not to exercise Irvin's option, wouldn't they love to have it with Russell Wilson. They'll probably be over $40M guaranteed in that deal, no doubt about it.

5) Huge brainfart/tactical fail: McCloughan made the sensible decision to buy time and gain leverage... He obviously didn't want to give up on a player who is 2 years removed from rookie of the year and 3 years removed from the Heisman (oh, both seasons his competition was Andrew Luck)...

He's risking $16 million and our entire 2016 season betting that RG3 is healthy at the end of this year.

You mean in March of 2016, right? The end of the official NFL calendar year, not the end of the regular season? Like, he'd have 3 months to heal from any injury at least? And the Redskins could bench him to protect him from injury if he doesn't perform well? It sounds to me like the risk is manageable.

Oakland, Cleveland, Tampa and JAX have been taking high picks for years and there they are again this year. The front offices there are terrible.

I think what separates these teams from other teams is mostly luck at one position... QB. If you solve the QB position, it covers over a lot of mistakes. These teams have been trying to resolve the QB position for years and failing. Cleveland has taken a bunch QBs in drafts and want to take another. Oakland tried to solve it through FA for years and kept missing... Tampa has gone through draft prospects and FAs... Jacksonville has taken Gabbert & now Bortles... The key is to get the QB position nailed down. If you look at the Patriots drafts, a lot of times they are awful. Packers are about the most consistent drafting team, but you don't see many players on their roster having success at other stops. The Chargers have had really crappy drafts, but they have Rivers. All the teams who have won Super Bowls have had franchise QBs and stability at the position for multiple years.

But she is an ARDENT missionary. They even talk about it in Russia. You know, right over there...

But she is an ARDENT missionary. They even talk about it in Russia. You know, right over there...

True. She does have the "Oh God!!!" part down doesn't she. Hell, maybe they can hear her in Russia...

if she ever decided to "go rogue" she could really make me see Russia from my back yard ;-)

I got it bad for Tina Fey - she's all that AND a UVa grad :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.