• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Report: Scot McCloughan expected to be the new G.M. in Washington

The hiring of Gibbs, the hiring of Shanahan, the firing of Cerrato/hire of Allen, the trading of a boatload of picks to draft the sexy college QB...Snyder seems to have a knack for knowing when morale among the fan base is at an extreme low and he needs to do something big to save face and buy time.

In this instance though, provided McCloughan and McCloughan only is in charge, I have to give him credit where credit is due. This is the type of move that is characteristic of the professionalism you would expect from the upper echelon teams in the league.

At the end of the day, it's still a results based business.

Breaking the cycle of a losing culture is difficult. McCloughan will have his hands full and he will certainly need to ensure he doesn't fall into the same trap that so many who have walked through the doors of Redskins Park have done before - that is, underachieving.

Thankfully, he's got a solid track record going for him.

I think you are correct...I think this really was his only move to save the fanbase. He knows the fans are fed up.

The problem I have with this hiring is that it is the perfect marketing ploy as the new season tickets are about to go on sale. In the very near future invoices are going out...on top of that, they will try to market them. They will do all this using the McCloughan hire as the "A New Era Dawning in DC!"

Again, this is the man I was screaming for a month ago...here it is and I have to be honest, I am just numb...or maybe callous. Who knows?

I think you are correct...I think this really was his only move to save the fanbase. He knows the fans are fed up.

The problem I have with this hiring is that it is the perfect marketing ploy as the new season tickets are about to go on sale. In the very near future invoices are going out...on top of that, they will try to market them. They will do all this using the McCloughan hire as the "A New Era Dawning in DC!"

Again, this is the man I was screaming for a month ago...here it is and I have to be honest, I am just numb...or maybe callous. Who knows?

I have to admit it's made me have second thoughts about ditching mine.

I can understand the hesitation to be excited..but this is what people have been clamoring for years to get

It's like a traumatized person not knowing if they can trust it or not. You're either gonna have to saddle up and go for it or just walk away and forget about it.

El,

Were you secretly sending cheerleader pics to McCloughan's email account to lure him here? Personally, I don't think Snyder is smart enough to pull something off like this himself to attract him to D.C. :)

I agree with what you're saying about marketing ploys. I've said it on here numerous times before that Snyder, if nothing else, is a master manipulator since owning this franchise. Quite frankly, he knows how to suck us in and is banking on it happening again with this move.

Speaking from a personal standpoint, this hire feels different for me compared to other moves.

While happy with it, I'm no longer doing cartwheels and falsely believing that things will all of a sudden magically start clicking for the franchise. We've seen high profile and heralded GMs go places and fail in the past across all the major sports.

Numerous factors are going to have to mesh together to make things work. Most importantly, Dan is going to have to genuinely prove that he's ready to act with the professionalism that is often associated with owners of the most successful franchises in the NFL.

At this point, after numerous miserable failings on the part of Snyder to get the ship sailing in the right direction, if fans over-hype the move and let their own personal expectations get out of whack, it's their own fault.

It should be a wait and see approach by fans. We've been losers for far too long to let anything other than on the field performance dictate what our perceptions of where this team is headed should be.

I'll take winning the off-season over not winning anything at all. This appears to be about the best move we could have made. We've been moving incrementally for most of a decade towards what fans have railed about for years, having a real football GM making football decisions in Ashburn.

I've said it before & I'll say it again. This is the biggest move the Redskins have made since Snyder has owned the team. It's also the best. This is the first time that the Redskins' FO have made a "real" move forward that actually doesn't seem like they are playing games anymore. Like they finally are starting to take this seriously. This is the thing we have been calling for for years. I can not imagine anyone in Redskins Nation not being happy about this.

Two weks ago, I felt like there was no hope left, like there was nothing left for me to cling to where the Redskins were concerned other than nostalgia. Now, there is hope for the future.

I can't contain myself as I have told people at work who couldn't care less. I made them listen. They were excited too.

When I stopped talking about it. Which I told them wouldn't be for a while, so get used to it.

Hail to the Redskins.

:cheers: :cheer2: :djsmilie::friday::thewave::doh1::chestram2:

I am very happy with this move, maybe I will even cut gruden some slack now, maybe........ ;)

He's a GM guys, not Jesus Christ. I don't believe he's going to arrive, find starters in every draft round from here on out as the Redskins are Super Bowl participants every year.

It's a move in the right direction, but I am a little taken aback by the giddy ecstasy some of you are all agush with...

And El ... One minute you're about to go on a hunger strike if the Skins don't lure him here and now you 'have a problem with the hiring' ?

The most damning statement in this whole thing is the last one about our scouting department being one of the smallest in the league. WTH? This has been a "spare no expense" operation ever since The Danny took over.

After everything I've read over the last few years, one of two things have become painfully clear. Either:

A. This organization's top priority was never about winning football games under Snyder, or

B. Snyder is just the stupidest owner in the league.

I used to always laugh at anyone who said we didn't care about winning, and was a staunch believer that Dan "wanted to win badly" but there's just too much evidence to the contrary.

Whether the correct answer is A or B, one thing is clear: When it comes to things other than contracts, Snyder is the cheapest, or second cheapest owner in the entire league.

Yeah, I saw in one of the articles, wear he stated fact for ALL scouts. You miss more than you hit.

I've said it before & I'll say it again. This is the biggest move the Redskins have made since Snyder has owned the team. It's also the best. This is the first time that the Redskins' FO have made a "real" move forward that actually doesn't seem like they are playing games anymore. Like they finally are starting to take this seriously. This is the thing we have been calling for for years. I can not imagine anyone in Redskins Nation not being happy about this.

Two weks ago, I felt like there was no hope left, like there was nothing left for me to cling to where the Redskins were concerned other than nostalgia. Now, there is hope for the future.

:cheers: :cheer2: :djsmilie::friday::thewave::doh1::chestram2:

I also agree that this is the single best decision that he's made since acquiring the team. It's hard to believe that we even tried to compete without a real GM for so long. In many ways, the seasons were already lost before they even began.

This allows us to actually compete. Huge move.

McD, you're trying too hard to cover Gruden's ass if he has a repeat of his failure of a 1st season.

Worried are we?

The problem I have with this hiring is that it is the perfect marketing ploy as the new season tickets are about to go on sale. In the very near future invoices are going out...on top of that, they will try to market them. They will do all this using the McCloughan hire as the "A New Era Dawning "

Since when have the Skins not marketed every positive move they've ever made?

He's a GM guys, not Jesus Christ. I don't believe he's going to arrive, find starters in every draft round from here on out as the Redskins are Super Bowl participants every year.

It's a move in the right direction, but I am a little taken aback by the giddy ecstasy some of you are all agush with...

And El ... One minute you're about to go on a hunger strike if the Skins don't lure him here and now you 'have a problem with the hiring' ?

If he comes anywhere close to living up to his rep then for Skins fans he kinda is Boone. This could lead to a whole new FO structure that other teams actually look at and find legit and it could lead to FINALLY scrapping our abysmal scouting department. The import and impact of that to me can't be overstated.

I'm done with the hype, hype, and more hype. If he turns it all around no one will be happier than me. But I've seen and heard all this before. For me. It's wait and see.

Oh I'm with ya, but I actually have reason to be encouraged about the overall direction of the team for the first time since Gibbs. The last several coaching hires have been decidedly meh for me.

it improves one among numerous areas of need. something to be enthused about in my book.

lot more work to be done.

This is why I'm excited...their peers are impressed. That speaks volumes to me.

NFL Media Agree: Scot McCloughan Hiring is a ?Coup? for Redskins « CBS DC

“This is one of the top evaluators in the NFL for some time,” he added. “If you don’t believe me, you can just look at the Seahawks and look at the Niners; he’s got his fingers all over that. I tweeted this yesterday, and I got immediate reaction on my phone from random people around the league going, 'Wait. The Redskins are really going to do this?’ Because people were surprised that they would make such a sensible move.”

This too: From Michael Robinson formerly of SF and Seattle

“One thing about Scottie, what he understands, not only talent, OK, that’s easy,” Robinson continued Tuesday. “You talk about Patrick Willis. You talk about Frank Gore. You talk about Justin Smith and all those guys. But he understands how to build a quality locker room. He’s not just looking for your attributes on the field. He’s looking for how can I infuse you into this locker room to make this…a place where it’s conducive to winning. We would have so many conversations on the football field in San Francisco I can remember. He would always stand kind of behind everything and watch all of practice. When I would finish a play all the way through and I would talk to him and [say], 'What are you looking for? Why do you sit back here and look all the time?’ He’d say, 'Mike, I know all you guys can play. I’m looking to see the chemistry. I’m looking to see how you guys deal with each other.’ He’s really a bright guy. He looks at talent a whole different way, unlike I’ve seen in this business.”

Given the clusterfudge this team's FO has been for about 20 years it's awful hard not to get excited about this...for me at least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.