• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Cannibalism is Bad for You

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
I've seen a trend lately that bothers me. And it's generally at the root of most instances when usually friendly banter and discussion takes on a harsher tone, and the camaraderie we've worked so hard to grow and safeguard here seems to fall by the wayside.

The trend I'm talking about is folks deciding how people should and should not root for and respond to their team.

Being a Redskins fan right now? It's a bitch. There's not a single one of us here that isn't frustrated, down, depressed, or at the very least irritated with another swirling down the toilet bowl, regressing season. We are all fans. We all want wins, success, and even the prospect at least of glory. We ALL do.

But it's a tough time to believe. It's tough to believe in the players on this team. It's tough to believe in our coaching staff. It's tough to believe our owner will ever, ever figure out how to put together a winning organization again.

It's tough.

My friends and I, we run a Redskins fan website. We spend a lot of time and money running it. A lot. And if even we are struggling (hand raised here - some more than others) to stay positive, upbeat, optimistic, and hopeful, that must mean that it's pretty hard to be any of those things currently. When it comes to the Redskins, it really is what it is.

The staff reflect the general membership here believe it or not. Some are over the top negative (hand, again, raised). Some are calm and rational (well, at least Om is). Some have distanced themselves from the live action out of self-protection. There may even be one or two of us vaguely optimistic things will work out.

But the point is - we are all different. And we are all the same. Our sameness lies in our love of this team, what it meant to us growing up, the amazing memories many of us have of barely memorable past glories - we are all great fans. If we were not, we could not possibly sustain the time, effort, and energy it takes to be here. Our differences lie only in how we respond to the failures of this franchise.

So I'm going to give some tough love here - and it applies to everyone - me, you, staff and members alike. Stop judging your fellow fans. It's none of your damn business how a fellow BGO member copes with 3 win seasons and epic suckitude. They're them, you're you - know the difference. If I want to rant and rail and howl at the moon about my horrible NFL franchise, that's what I ought to be able to do. If I want to reassure everyone that everything is on the right track and wins are just around the corner, that's what I ought to be able to do. In the words of a very wise 3 year old you can find on Facebook or You Tube, worry about YOURSELF. Of all the problems with the Washington Redskins, how fans deal with failure is not among the top 100. When encountering a fellow member from the opposite perspective (ie...optimistic or pessimistic, calm and reasoning or angry and irrational), stop judging their fandom because they aren't responding the way you are. Stop correcting them. Stop mocking them. Stop trying to muzzle them.

Because, honestly, it's for those differences in response and viewpoint that this ****ing website exists. Otherwise, what really is the point?

We've all been guilty of this at some point in the past 2 years. It needs to stop. If someone is over the line, needs to be talked off a ledge, or just plain hushed, trust me, the staff here will do it. And if one of us needs some tough love, one of our peers will manage that too.

One of the inevitabilities of human nature is that, when we can't explain, come to terms with, or address the source of our pain, we lash out at those close to us. It's what humans do. But we shouldn't do it. And we certainly shouldn't do it here. When the food runs out, there are other alternatives to clubbing the guy next to you and feasting on his soul.

Don't be a cannibal. In the words of a friend of mine....

Just sayin'

Yeah - it would be a pretty boring place here if everyone was in agreement all of the time.

at the same time though, when people are trying to be positive (like the positive thread) and people come in and shit all over it even though you have asked several other times for them NOT to shit all over it..it gets tiresome.

That is my side of things. I fully agree with you for the most part..I just think there are certain people who go out of there way to flame, down, and troll for no good reason.

Last edited:
10 Things You Always Wondered About Cannibalism
10 Things You Always Wondered About Cannibalism - Business Insider

1. When did humans first start eating each other?
Answer: Anthropological data shows that millions of years ago, Homo antecessor, the link between Neanderthals and Homo sapiens, were cannibalistic for nutritional reasons. Humans eventually developed more advanced hunting techniques in order to prey on animals since consuming each other was not a sustainable food source.

2. Is eating another person against the law?
Answer: Surprisingly no. In the United States and most European countries there are no outright laws against the consumption of human flesh. Most criminals who commit acts of cannibalism are charged with murder, desecration of corpses, or necrophilia.

3. Why do people eat other people?
Answer: ...In some of the most horrific cases, are elements of sexual cannibalism where people derive sexual satisfaction from fantasizing about and consuming humans...

4. Why did that man in Florida eat that other man's face?
Answer: Drugs

5. Is it socially acceptable to eat any part of the human body?
Answer: Not really. But there's been a recent focus on placentophagy, women eating their own placenta after giving birth, especially after celebrities like January Jones revealed eating hers after the birth of her son.

6. Who are the most famous cannibals?
Answer: Most notably, the Silence of the Lambs characters Jame Gumb, more commonly known as Buffalo Bill for his line, "It puts the lotion in its skin" and Hannibal Lecter. Buffalo Bill is a composite of serial killer Ted Bundy, who pretended to be injured in order to ask his victims for assistance, Ed Gein, who killed and skinned women and made their hide into suits which he wore, and a Philadelphia criminal who kept women in a five and a half foot deep pit in the ground.

It's more ambiguous who served as the inspiration for Thomas Harris' Hannibal but apparently the author once told a librarian in his hometown that the character was based off of murderer William Coyne who escaped prison in 1934 and went on a cannibalistic murdering spree.

Other notable real cannibals are the Stella Maris Rugby team who ate fellow teammates after their plane crashed in the Andes in 1972; Jeffrey Dahmer, American necrophiliac cannabilistic serial killer who was murdered in prison; Armin Miewes, mentioned throughout this story; and Albert Fish, cannibal, serial killer and pedophile who was executed at Sing Sing in 1936.

7. What does the Bible say about cannibalism?
Answer: A lot. Many of the references to cannibalism have to do with the siege of Jerusalem and what would happen if the Israelites disobeyed God. Here's one from Jeremiah 19:9:

I will make them eat the flesh of their sons and daughters, and they will eat one another's flesh during the stress of the siege imposed on them by the enemies who seek their lives.

8. Can eating a human kill you?
Answer: Many tribes that practiced ritualistic cannibalism began dying en masse from a disease called Kuru, like the human equivalent to Mad Cow disease, which affects the brain and nervous system. Consuming animal or human flesh that contains an infected protein or prion causes brain deterioration, loss of motor control and eventually death.

9. What do humans taste like?
Answer: The answer is overwhelmingly pork, which may be why the idiomatic culinary term for human flesh is "long pig." Miewes, our favorite German cannibal, said in an interview from his jail cell that: "The flesh tastes like pork, a little bit more bitter, stronger. It tastes quite good."

10. If you had to eat a human, what part should you eat?
Answer: The brain and muscles are probably your best bet according to Yale certified nutritionist Dr. Jim Stoppani. Muscles offer protein and the brain would provide slow-burning energy since it's high in fat and glucose. Yet the brain does present an added risk since it's the part of the body with the highest concentration in prions, which give rise to the fatal disease Kuru.

The liver and kidneys are filled with waste products since they're part of the body's filtration system so best to avoid those. Eyes contain an acidic solution which can make humans sick, fingers and toes are filled with cartilage, which your body won't digest and penises are spongy and have little nutritional value.

I opened this thinking that the What's For Dinner thread had taken a dark turn.

Rational? Calm?!

Eat me.

Wasn't there a top 10 pop tune "They Drive Me Crazy"? (yes, I know the real title)

you nailed it Boone.

Very well said, Boone. I came here looking to escape the very things you stated & found solace here. I don't want to see that changed. This place is WAAAAAAAY better than where I cam from. In fact, I haven't even visited that place since the moment I stepped onto the "Welcome" mat here. And I don't want to go back there.

You guys make this place a Paradise for me. Not a Walking Dead's "Bob's Diner" kinda Paradise either. So, thank you for the thread Boone. Thank you for making this place what it is. Thank you to all the mods.

We're more glad you found us - you are exactly the kind of member we love here. We really do have an amazing group here. You need to make it to next season's BGO Tailgate and meet some of them.

And just realized I passed 12,000 posts today. Wow.

I probably don't have 1/10th of those as actual personal posts. That gives you some idea of how much content I've posted here in the past 5 years. And I just added another post. Booyah!

i see it like this,,, I can call my little brother a douchebag but if someone else does, they gotta deal with me. We as fans have earned the right to criticize our team but fans of other teams can go fornicate themselves. I've been a skins fan for 35 years, and if I wanna say that rg3 sucks donkey balls,,,so be it but if a cowgirl fan says it, ill remind them of how awful romo is

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You talk a lot Boone, you only have 11,000 more posts than me lol

But you got a real purty mouth...

i see it like this,,, I can call my little brother a douchebag but if someone else does, they gotta deal with me. We as fans have earned the right to criticize our team but fans of other teams can go fornicate themselves. I've been a skins fan for 35 years, and if I wanna say that rg3 sucks donkey balls,,,so be it but if a cowgirl fan says it, ill remind them of how awful romo is

Yep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.