• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Body Bag II

How was it illegal ?
It was perfectly within the rules. And besides that, I've seen that exact same incident happen numerous times in other teams' games, and have never seen it called as a penalty. The moment the ball is turned over, or ruled a turnover on the field, the entire offense becomes a defender, and the QB is no exception.
If the QB has a right to tackle on an INT, then Baker has a right to hit him.

You don't know the rule then. But it is illegal. Has been for years now.

So if he's moving, you're allowed to hit him ?
If he would have been looking at Baker, trying to get in his way, he'd be fair game. Though you always take a risk when hitting QB's that hard.

But when you take a blindside cheapshot (sorry Boone, if it walks a duck, etc...) it's illegal.

Big fine coming. Possible 1 game suspension.

If he would have been looking at Baker, trying to get in his way, he'd be fair game. Though you always take a risk when hitting QB's that hard.

But when you take a blindside cheapshot (sorry Boone, if it walks a duck, etc...) it's illegal.

I'm hearing big fines but no suspensions (likely due to the totally arbitrary nature of defining "defenseless, yet that defenseless fellow can go ahead and tackle a ball carrier from the opposing team just fine and dandily" player

Still makes no sense.
You're allowed to blindside a QB, or a running QB, and if he doesn't see you coming, it's perfectly allowed by rule.
By definition, the QB is still "defenseless" when blindsided on a sack.
Why should it be any different when he is a potential defender/tackler himself ?
What's next, if a player is about to sack a QB from his blindside, is he by rule, going to be required to tap him on the shoulder, and say, "Excuse me Mr Quarterback. Just wanted to let you know I'm coming behind you and about to sack you ! " ?????

I think the rules are incredibly fuzzy on this one. You could see the defender running behind him when he hit Foles. What I saw was a defender knock the hell out of a player heading towards the ball. It may have been technically 'illegal' (and I think even that's debatable) but I think the intent was clearly to try and help his teammate score. The fact that Foles is a ragdoll and flew 10 yards in the air as a result of the hit is irrelevant in my book. And the only 'blindspot' aspect of it was Foles not paying attention to what's going on around him. We can just agree to disagree.

We're arguing terminology. Blindside sack is different than cheapshotting a blind man.

I think what it boils down to, is that referees and many fans over-reacted, from an emotional standpoint, based on the appearance of it being a vicious hit, by a huge man on a little man. If you can look beyond that emotional element, you should rationally be able to see that Baker did nothing wrong.

I don't like the 'cheapshot' reference because it infers intent. I think Baker 'intended' to block for a returner after an interception. A QB got in his way. It's not the crime of the century in my opinion.

You talk about terminology, yet use the term "cheap shot" which has no true "legal definition" in the NFL
Which would only matter if I was an NFL official.

I'm a fan, sitting at home, who knew it was a penalty the second it happened.

Cheap shot, is my term. Baker has to be smarter than that. He knew damn well it was Foles, and he knocked the snot out of him, when he wasn't looking.

It was a chicken shit hit.

That any better?

Which would only matter if I was an NFL official.

I'm a fan, sitting at home, who knew it was a penalty the second it happened.

Cheap shot, is my term. Baker has to be smarter than that. He knew damn well it was Foles, and he knocked the snot out of him, when he wasn't looking.

It was a chicken shit hit.

That any better?

And I assume you think the Philly player who leveled Cousins after the whistle should get bitch slapped too, no?

Which happens a LOT in the NFL.....and in legal contexts.
Where is the rule that says you cannot hit a guy, if he's not looking at you ?

It doesn't exist.

You're right.

Everybody else is wrong.

Baker was brave to hit him.

It doesn't exist.

You're right.

Everybody else is wrong.

Baker was brave to him.

Instead of snark, wouldnt it be way more beneficial to the discussion to discuss the actual known and posted rules and how the circumstances related to those rules? Just my very humble opinion.

I dont think anyone here is discussing whether Bakers hit was of high character or not, just if it was technically within the rules or not. To me, thats a worthy conversation

Instead of snark, wouldnt it be way more beneficial to the discussion to discuss the actual known and posted rules and how the circumstances related to those rules? Just my very humble opinion.

I dont think anyone here is discussing whether Bakers hit was of high character or not, just if it was technically within the rules or not. To me, thats a worthy conversation
Pardon me, sir.

It's the rule. I knew it. If I can't explain it using the rulebook, shoot me.

It's not that hard to understand. I don't know a warm fuzzy way to say it.

Grill the NFL about the rule. I didn't write the damn thing.

But I knew it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.