• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

If you're Brandon Merriweather, what's your excuse ?

I knew as soon as I saw the hit that he was going to get this suspension. But at this point im used to seeing him sitting on the bench because he hits high. Go ahead, hit them in the head, I don't care anymore. You want to give out some concussions go for it, but be prepared to sit down. Now not all hits are his fault, everyone instinctively curls up when about to get hit, some duck their head right into a defender. This rule will only get worse the more the players continue this kind of hit. The hit box is going to get smaller and smaller till the point we are playing flag football. Its partially that we are being sissified by the media and culture. Protests against peewee football?! I believe that these suspensions will never stop, you cant stop momentum on a dime like they seem to think they can.

Ultimately , he has to understand the rules and his own reputation of he's going to be on this team. It may not always be fair or make sense but the reality is that he has to avoid those kinds if hits at all costs or face the consequences.

Easy solution. Go for the ribs.

I think going for the hips is better. It seems like ball carriers all drop their heads and shoulders into the contact, so the ribs can be too high after the carrier drops their head in line with them....

I guess I'm just old-school.
I say just tackle the guy, instead of blasting a hit.

Wrap him up and cling to him until you take him down, rather than deliver a sexy hit.
That helps the team, instead of helping your own selfish self to get a highlight reel of hits

The question needs to be asked.. Do we continue to keep this guy around? I once heard "the most valuable skill in the NFL is availability."

I guess I'm just old-school.
I say just tackle the guy, instead of blasting a hit.

Wrap him up and cling to him until you take him down, rather than deliver a sexy hit.
That helps the team, instead of helping your own selfish self to get a highlight reel of hits

So you're not a fan of forced fumbles and incomplete passes huh?

the intimidation factor started to make people not want to go across the middle when Sean was in the game. He didn't even have to be in the vicinity but if you THOUGHT he was, you got alligator arms.

That's different them what Meriweather is doing... he's had a couple plays like that, but i've also watched him take late shots when guys are near the sidelines. He knocked himself out doing it last year on a play that it was not necessary as well as not productive. Sean Taylor met the ball at the player a lot of times, Meriweather is going for the knockout blow WELL after the player as made the catch.

Intimidation is intimidation. Sean pushed TO out of bounds and hit him late as well just to let him know he was there. I am not comparing the players but the fact that people think twice before venturing in to his territory counts.

A DB is supposed to try and lodge the ball loose so an incomplete pass. With this particular hit the receiver lowered his head at same time. All this happened in seconds.

If DB's come in tentative (to make sure receiver not defenseless) then the guy could take off down the field.

I understand wanting to protect players, but it is still a contact sport. Some common sense needs to be applied and find a good medium for offense and defense.

Yeah Mike but that was a different game.... the rules are pass friendly now and the penalties arent as stiff. The concussion lawsuit changed the way the game is played. I think Sean could have still played this game, but Meriweather cant seem to adapt. The WR arent going to get intimidated as long as guys are getting suspended for it, because they know sooner or later, they wont have to worry about it.

meh...I say ride him until they ban him or he's too punch drunk to suit up. If hes going to put out a player every game I am OK with it.

So you're not a fan of forced fumbles and incomplete passes huh?

Besides the spearing penalties and suspensions, I'm not a fan of missed tackles, and pass interferences either.
And you have to consider what is the ratio of forced fumbles and incompletions, to all the above ?
The proper way to force a fumble is the first guy wraps, and the 2nd guy hits.
The proper way to force an incomplete pass, is to go after the ball, not the player.
Fundamentals.
Otherwise, you're a high risk for Pass Interference, missed tackles, and missed opportunities for INT's

Meriweather doesn't scare anyone, either.
I don't see any receivers shrinking back against him.
He doesn't hit hard, he just hits in the wrong place. Anyone can go helmet to helmet, and make it look like a "tough guy" hit.

Last edited:
Besides the spearing penalties and suspensions, I'm not a fan of missed tackles, and pass interferences either.
And you have to consider what is the ratio of forced fumbles and incompletions, to all the above ?
The proper way to force a fumble is the first guy wraps, and the 2nd guy hits.
The proper way to force an incomplete pass, is to go after the ball, not the player.
Fundamentals.
Otherwise, you're a high risk for Pass Interference, missed tackles, and missed opportunities for INT's

Meriweather doesn't scare anyone, either.
I don't see any receivers shrinking back against him.
He doesn't hit hard, he just hits in the wrong place. Anyone can go helmet to helmet, and make it look like a "tough guy" hit.

Uh - he hits hard. I get that the penalties pretty much negate whatever occasional positives we get out of of him, at least to date. But he has, by all reports, had a great off-season and of the hits in question, one was not a foul, the other was not a blatant helmet to helmet, but he should have had his head up. Your comment about fumbles is fantasy. DBs are taught to hit and hit hard and try and separate WRs/RBs from the ball. They aren't taught to wait for other tacklers to show up. Should they wrap up, yeah, but it also depends on angles. It's easy to say 'wrap up' when you're not going 90mph towards a guy coming right at you at high speed. You try to 'wrap up' or tackle him at less than full speed, you're going to be the one getting your bell wrung. He is an intimidating safety. Some of that is his history of helmet to helmet hits - and that needs to change. But he is a big time hitter period. That's not all bad. I'd have a different attitude if these hits had been clear blatant intentional helmet-to-helmet hits. I didn't see them that way.

Some of that is his history of helmet to helmet hits - and that needs to change. But he is a big time hitter period. That's not all bad. I'd have a different attitude if these hits had been clear blatant intentional helmet-to-helmet hits. I didn't see them that way.

Change or not, he's a marked player... no matter what he does, ANYTHING that resembles a helmet-to-helmet collision is going to get penalized and more then likely suspended.... case in point. I dont agree with that, but it's the truth.

I'm not making any excuses for him - I agree. He has to know any hit that's even borderline is going to get flagged and he'll get suspended. But I do think some of his problem is that the NFL is over-reacting to legal plays and totally ignores the movements of the other player in the equation. I also think Merriweather has a lot of talent. To me, these latest hits aren't unimpeachable evidence he can't fix the problem. I think he is trying. But you can't play safety and shy away from aggression. Not in the NFL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.