• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

How the hell is Haslett still here?

Well, if he is the DC, until evidence to the contrary I think we have to assume that Haslett is the guy Gruden wants to go to war with. There's no evidence to the contrary that I've seen or heard of. That may seem insane to fans of the team, but it's Gruden that ultimately will live or die by that decision among others. So if he feels Haslett is the guy, we have no choice but to embrace a little blind faith and see what happens.

I said it was a signal. I didn't say he is headed for eternal damnation!

The whole Haz sequence of events hasn't been played well. we may never know if Gruden wanted him or was told he wanted him. we will likely never know if he thinks/thought Haz was the best choice available among all candidates. we may never know the decision criteria and priorities (e.g., loyalty). I am simply speculating that he is going to need to establish that this was his decision from start to finish and was based on his assessment on who he thinks is/was the best talent for the job available at the time. when a coaching staff is fired...and part of the reason is defensive incompetence of epic proportions.....then it is not unreasonable to wonder why the coaches of said disaster are retained. I don't buy "it's all Mike's fault." after a point, sounds too much like "it's bush's fault." otherwise, if it blows up, all fingers are gonna point back to this decision as one root cause. allen/snyder need to be clear on this also - that the decision was entirely Gruden's. as a fan, I'll go along with a statement from Gruden, though I might not like the decision, of "he's a terrific coordinator and my first choice from the beginning". I'm suer, as next season progresses, we'll receive ample analysis on Haz' coaching skills from Ry!

Fansince, after enduring the operational modes of the folks in Ashburn for some time now I've finally concluded they get a buzz from intrigue and soap-opera level drama. :gossip::lipsrsealed2:

Probably some bizarre manifestation of Stockholm syndrome or something similar. :devilish:

Fansince, after enduring the operational modes of the folks in Ashburn for some time now I've finally concluded they get a buzz from intrigue and soap-opera level drama. :gossip::lipsrsealed2:

Probably some bizarre manifestation of Stockholm syndrome or something similar. :devilish:

too funny. I'm like everyone else - to the last person - on this board. I just want it fixed and I want to be watching this team in Jan/Feb. If for no other reason, than to rub it in the faces of Boys, Gints, Iggles fans.

MarkMaske@MarkMaske<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">7m</small>
Jay Gruden confirms that Redskins will retain Jim Haslett as defensive coordinator. Story soon on Insider... http://wapo.st/1bDvoL7

MarkMaske@MarkMaske<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">7m</small>
Gruden said the Redskins will look to extend Haslett's contact. Also said the Redskins will retain offensive line coach Chris Foerster.

I hope Gruden knows what he's doing. I remain unconvinced :)

Danny Smith gave Haz some pics and said, "these should keep you around for as long as you wish".

Well, if he is the DC, until evidence to the contrary I think we have to assume that Haslett is the guy Gruden wants to go to war with. There's no evidence to the contrary that I've seen or heard of. That may seem insane to fans of the team, but it's Gruden that ultimately will live or die by that decision among others. So if he feels Haslett is the guy, we have no choice but to embrace a little blind faith and see what happens.

you're right. but how are they going to strong-arm any player with the claim that "performance is all that matters"?!!!!

from a distance...this looks like "hey..hey...the gang's all here! let's all meet at Cheers like we used to. Only now, it's Jay's turn to sit at the head of the table!"

I got nuthin'

The only rationale for this move might be that he IS a first time NFL coach and wants someone with that experience there to lean on as necessary. Personally, it wouldn't be my choice.

so...hard to tell....did Gruden want Bengal's lb coach, Paul Guenther, to be the DC?

Where can I buy plexiglass cheap?

Need to know so I don't put a beer through my tv,screaming " Haslett!! You SOB!!" Next fall.....

Damn-cringing just isn't good at my age, especially if you're tryimg to avoid premature wrinkling.

so...hard to tell....did Gruden want Bengal's lb coach, Paul Guenther, to be the DC?

This is what I saw. And when I heard he'd signed as the DC of the Bungals...I was sad. It likely meant Haslett was here to stay.

This is what I saw. And when I heard he'd signed as the DC of the Bungals...I was sad. It likely meant Haslett was here to stay.

Zimmer went to Minnesota, right?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Not sue it's true or not, but I remember hearing on the Junkies a couple weeks ago that during the season Haslett walked into Shanny's office and said either fire me or let me run the defense how I want.

He must've just watched that "I'm a Big Strong Man" Buffalo Wild Wings commercial. I bet we had 1 game left to play too, just like in the commercial.

if I was going to keep the 3-4 I would be a terrible coordinator. because i would be keeping a scheme that the best players dont fit.

if I was being a yes man like haslett who will do whateevr i was told in order to get or keep a job, step one would be finding a nosetackle, it would have to in free agency because nosetackles almost always take a minimum of a season before they adjust the speed of the nfl interior.

second I would find a real inside thumper at Linebacker because we dont have it now.

third I would actually not be a retard like haslett and rum a 5-2 I would blitz my best rushers from several spots and angles

but the truth is that retaining haslett is problematic, it suggests gruden is either stupid or blind, worse it suggests that we are going to have yet another year of bad defence.

Good to see you Ryan. I was looking forward to your analysis and knew you wouldn't disappoint. :)

We'll see what happens. Just hoping that FA and the draft produces some good players and that will mask any deficiencies that Haz brings to the table.

NFL teams are known for studying stats...percentages..noticing trends and patterns.

How in the blue hell they can look at Haslett's body of work and decide "OK, we're good here" is beyond me.

Daniel Snyder: What was that you were doing over there Mr. Allen?

Bruce: Called Haslett Technique. If do right...no have defense.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.