• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

How the hell is Haslett still here?

Other than the Shanahan cronies and players like Davis and Morgan that clearly need to go, I think Bruce was willing to listen to others who worked here but may have been overruled by the Dictator, and that includes the front office and staff.

Shanahan's control prevented a fair evaluation of some guys capabilities.

My guess is on the roster there is a draft pick or veteran player that didn't get a shot under Mike, but will excel under Gruden.

Who I don't know, but I recall that when Parcells came in and rebuilt the Patriots and Cowboys he took some guys off the junk heap and got production out of them.

Meanwhile the previous coach never called these guys numbers.

I don 't agree.

You fire Shanahan at $7M but then retain Haslett and Morris for what $5M?

I think these coaches were kept because they were familiar with Gruden and he okayed it back channel.

Gruden was the candidate all along IMO.

If he went somewhere else you would have seen these coaches leave with Shanahan.

But again if someone other than Gruden was the hire these other coaches would have been let go.

If Snyder wanted to save money he was fortunate that Gruden wanted to come here and not interview in Minny or Detroit.

Well the fans raised enough Hell with the prospective Fassel hire that Snyder flinched. Time to raise Hell again!

That would be $5 million PLUS whatever new defensive coordinators would cost during their first year.

DS pays attention to the bottom line.

Plus what it would cost to buy them out of their current contract, assuming they're currently employed

I still think you guys are barking up the wrong tree.

Snyder has been willing to spend money to fix his mistakes.

The problem is that we have made so many mistakes!

If Jon Gruden had gotten this job and wanted Ray Horton as his DC Snyder would have paid off the final year of Haslett and Morris' deals.

I don't have much doubt about that.

Thanks for the LaVar warning. I would have read it, otherwise.
:laugh2:

It's a video, not much to read. ;)

Reid and Steinberg were the reason I looked in, you can always FF or mute the LaVar part.

I still think you guys are barking up the wrong tree.

Snyder has been willing to spend money to fix his mistakes.

The problem is that we have made so many mistakes!

If Jon Gruden had gotten this job and wanted Ray Horton as his DC Snyder would have paid off the final year of Haslett and Morris' deals.

I don't have much doubt about that.

I think you're right there. No way they are being forced on Jay. That would be failure before it even started. And maybe Shanahan was as controlling as is being thrown about. I have exactly one years patience with Haslett. If it's more of the same crap, we'll know the score.

:laugh2:

It's a video, not much to read. ;)

Reid and Steinberg were the reason I looked in, you can always FF or mute the LaVar part.
Damn! That's even worse. Every time I have to lay eyes on that worthless POS, I get the clap. FF doesn't help.

Of course, if they ever get him on tape riding a motorcycle off a cliff, or choking on his own lying tongue, I'll be sure to watch. ;)

Why in the hell is Haslett still here?

Because he loves the burgundy and gooooold !!!

Goldmember_2650.jpg

jim-haslett.jpg

I always try to put these things in real world situations. Say you just got hired. Your new boss says you can make all of the personnel decisions you want. He'd like you, however, to keep a couple of guys on that he thinks are pretty competent...oh, and he makes that known to the general public.

Now, do you go against your new boss' wishes? I wouldn't...and neither would 98% of the rest of the world.

How would you explain that you just crossed your boss' desires as your first decision?

I'm not sure there is a real world analogue to an NFL Head Coach. They have to have results almost immediately to be considered successful. Too much of that success depends on those around you to be hamstrung by someone you don't want. Especially a Coordinator. I can see keeping some assistants, but the OC and DC has to be the HC's choice.

This is the first signal to me that Gruden is headed down the wrong path.

- if the decision is his based on past associations....BAD

- if the decision has been made for him because Shanahan didn't give Haz full reign...BAD

- We don't know all the facts.....maybe Gruden really thinks highly of Haz.....BAD

In my mind.....this is the first signal that Gruden may not be in control of key processes and lacks the gravitas (or skill) to perceive downstream consequences. It's rather odd that this decision is being held for last. if the "fix" was in all along...why wait? something aint quite right here. I suppose we'll find out today or over the weekend what's really in store.

The whole "Shanahan didn't give him a chance meme" strikes me as childish in the extreme. Does that mean that if Haz never came here....he'd be the first choice based on previous record alone? wtf?!!!!!

I guess one explanation might be that Gruden actually has someone in mind but that person doesn't want that publicized. that way, that person is protected as is Haz if he is "Plan B".

he's already down the wrong path when the season before he starts hasn't even begun?

I said it was a signal. I didn't say he is headed for eternal damnation!

The whole Haz sequence of events hasn't been played well. we may never know if Gruden wanted him or was told he wanted him. we will likely never know if he thinks/thought Haz was the best choice available among all candidates. we may never know the decision criteria and priorities (e.g., loyalty). I am simply speculating that he is going to need to establish that this was his decision from start to finish and was based on his assessment on who he thinks is/was the best talent for the job available at the time. when a coaching staff is fired...and part of the reason is defensive incompetence of epic proportions.....then it is not unreasonable to wonder why the coaches of said disaster are retained. I don't buy "it's all Mike's fault." after a point, sounds too much like "it's bush's fault." otherwise, if it blows up, all fingers are gonna point back to this decision as one root cause. allen/snyder need to be clear on this also - that the decision was entirely Gruden's. as a fan, I'll go along with a statement from Gruden, though I might not like the decision, of "he's a terrific coordinator and my first choice from the beginning". I'm suer, as next season progresses, we'll receive ample analysis on Haz' coaching skills from Ry!

We may never know. And frankly, we don't need to.

Winning, is all it takes to turn shit into Shinola.
And losing, will confirm every doubt, in the minds of everyone who has them.

All I care about right now is the team being prepared to do well in FA and draft scouting/analysis/selection.

I think we should wait until he's actually been named DC before we start worrying about why that's the case and how it transpired.

The way things have played out so far, I'll be shocked if Haslett isn't retained. The guys on 980 implied that the team doesn't feel a big need to make an announcement that he hasn't been fired. We'll see.

Not sue it's true or not, but I remember hearing on the Junkies a couple weeks ago that during the season Haslett walked into Shanny's office and said either fire me or let me run the defense how I want.

So it only took him three-and-a-half years to do that? :)

Mike...thinking critically isn't the same thing as freaking out!

I like the Gruden hire. never liked the Haz hire. when you sweep the staff - I prefer new faces across the board at the major positions. whatever else....the guys coaching day to day? their charges clearly didn't follow the coaching. that says something more than just talent deficit.

but...as others note....we shall see! I hope it occurs to you that part of thinking might be "what will it take to give Gruden the greatest chance of succeeding?"

Maybe Gruden is convinced Haslett could have done a better job with the D had he been able to run it his own way? And he is prepared to turn over full autonomy? Who knows...only time will tell. I agree that it potentially could be a bad sign, but I don't think it necessarily is one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.