• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Things are looking up for Redskins Nation

BGO eh? me thinks a name change may be in order. :devilish:

In my life, if there is a problem, I look for the fixes. if the problem returns, I look for a better fix. that's where we are now. "Snyder is an idiot/buffoon" doesn't get us far in the fix it department IMO.

- the roster has a long ways to go (at least this off-season and next) but there is a core group of talented players AND the QB we lacked for 20+ years.

- the cap situation is finally straightened out

- the FA orgies w/aging and fading stars is ended

- we've gotten marginally better at drafting; we are at least drafting more warm bodies! I see that continuing

- Allen has obviously been empowered to build a functional NFL organizational structure. doubt it if you like.....doesn't matter.

- Allen (and one assumes Snyder) have set about the task of defining a franchise identity. Allen may be precisely the right guy to leverage some of the past in that respect.

- there were some silly interviews during the season, but over-all this has been a stable locker room this season. no blow-ups; no pot busts; no DUIs; no prima donna actions on the sidelines.....THE CULTURE HAS CHANGED HERE - and for the better

we need a coach who, as others have noted, is not only a leader, but hungry. we need a restocked defense and special teams. we need one or two NFL caliber starters on the o-line.

sooooo......I recommend sitting back, not busting a gut, and watching how the coaching search and staffing unfolds. we will have a new defense and we will have a new offense. I agree with others that we can become competitive pretty fast. playoff capable is probably a two year journey.

so far, none of this has a WTF feel to me! there's a lot of uncertainty - but there always is in dynamic situations. let's try to enjoy the ride - I don't see any other options.

bad year notwithstanding.....we have the one thing that makes or breaks almost every team these days: a quarterback. bring in the right coach/staff....and the quest will continue!

Last edited by a moderator:
nice post 62! I totally agree.

not to sound like a total dick here, but aren't you the guy who had the idea to trade RG III and our draft picks for a redshirted freshman?

just saying

Yes. I would love to trade him straight up, right this second. RG3 has had two bad injuries, and Winston none. And if he doesn't improve next year, I believe 90% of fans will agree.

I also wanted to trade next year's second for pro-bowler Josh Gordon's cheap contract. I believed he could be as good as Megatron six months ago, and he's proving to be exactly that. With Megatron's pending knee surgery and huge contract, he may be even better going forward.

I also believed Chip Kelly would be the best coach in our division this year, the second he was signed.

The one thing I can say with certainty from Allen's presser today is that he has clearly done and said what he can to place the failure of the last 4 years squarely on Shanahan's shoulders.

If this structure is to be believed, I got what I wanted...a GM with a good scouting department and a coach who will simply coach...so long as we do not hire Bill Cowher, "JON" Gruden or any other retread Super Bowl coach. Morocco Brown has gotten some solid reviews so I don't know, I will take the many who say he is solid, at their word.

I also wanted to trade next year's second for pro-bowler Josh Gordon's cheap contract. I believed he could be as good as Megatron six months ago, and he's proving to be exactly that. With Megatron's pending knee surgery and huge contract, he may be even better going forward.

I also believed Chip Kelly would be the best coach in our division this year, the second he was signed.

^^^Nostradamus 2.0

Great posts, tshile, and fansince62.

I'm more disappointed by the demeanor of some fans, than I am in my team.

The "Hopeless" photo, greeting everybody at the forum door, is disgusting. Not what you'd expect to see on a Burgundy & Gold Obsession, Redskins fan friendly site.

But, that's just me.

I put the 'Hopeless' banner up. Ax, you'd normally be the first to say 'toughen up Nancy'. I guess I'll take it down since it's such an affront to fandom. Because only a fool would doubt that this franchise knows what it's doing :)

I figured you did. I knew you'd take offense to my criticism of it too. I also know not every fan feels the way I do. But every ****ing where you look, it's the same old tired Tear In My Beer, Attack The Team/Owner, pile on an easy target BS. I was just disappointed that no safe haven was found here. Doesn't mean I'm "affronted". Or that I can't handle it. But membership doesn't require me to like it either.

And you're correct, my advice to all the gloom and doomers is, grow a set. Instead of swimming in the safety of the pity pool, grab a ****ing oar and start paddling back toward the other side.

Or, just quit. Start a vocal band and spend the next 6 months singing "Woe Is Me".

I'll be entertained by either.

I didn't take offense at your comments. You guys (in this thread and a couple others where 'comments' were made) misinterpreted the commentary. 'Hopeless' wasn't directed at the fanbase or even reflective of where I'm at as a fan. It was directed at the franchise - as in they are hopeless, inept, amateurish (hence the hover-over text 'Proof there are things far more offensive than a team name'). I wasn't commenting on fans. I thought the Obama graphic was kind of clever but obviously it struck a nerve, so I will gladly take it down.

Only other comment I'll make... many of you came here from a board where, if you didn't adopt the group mentality or took an unpopular position, you were surrounded, pummeled with rocks, and often driven out. So, in that respect, this is and always will be a haven. I think it's kind of silly to take a single image posted by an owner and try to turn into a commentary about 'what BGO is about' as a couple have hinted at. And that does offend me a little bit.

Apologies for misreading your intent.

And I did not wish to infer that this single silly picture was indicative of what BGO is all about.

I just see it as being defeated. Which I am not.

Upon first glance at that interview, it sure as heck appeared as though Allen did a good job of beating around the bush with some of the tougher questions being asked of him.

As fans who have had to put up with nonsense for 22 years now, is it wrong to at the very least want management to be up front and honest with us?

I'm not too sure I can't hear Dan's voice being echoed in much of what Allen is saying.

Call me skeptical at this point in terms of us turning a corner from an organizational structure point of view.

It's all good guys. Look - I'm a big believer that if you say or do something that offends, whether that was your intent or not, it's on YOU. I really was looking for an excuse to use that 'Obama-izer' graphic tool and that's about as far as I thought through it. Obviously it went over like a bag of rocks. My bad.

I'm slower to come around from disappointment than most, probably because I'm generally one of the biggest homer rah-rah guys here, and I hate being wrong. I'll get there eventually. I will say though, more than at any time in my lifetime being a Redskins fan, the current transition period has a definite 'there's a sucker born every minute' feel to it.

I will say though, more than at any time in my lifetime being a Redskins fan, the current transition period has a definite 'there's a sucker born every minute' feel to it.
Correction. I think it has more of a back to the future feel, not in the sense that I think Allen is going to try to resurrect the over the hill gang. Rather, this feels like the repackaging of the Danny and Vinny amateur hour duo who you may remember from such hits as "Grand Theft Haynesworth", "Oooh, Me So Zorny" and everybody's favorite "Ole 'Flaming Lips' Bawl Coach".

Speaking of Flaming Lips, I can only hope that all our bad days are about to end but I'll believe it when I see it.

That's comedy gold Jerry! Gold I tell ya!

I put the 'Hopeless' banner up. Ax, you'd normally be the first to say 'toughen up Nancy'. I guess I'll take it down since it's such an affront to fandom. Because only a fool would doubt that this franchise knows what it's doing :)

I would respectfully suggest that the appropriate focus area isn't the end state but rather the process: are things getting better? big chunks or small...are they getting better. obviously too early to tell......but I prefer a positive mindset. too many of us have been conditioned, after all the Snyder screw-ups, to adopt a negative outlook. while that is a reasonable person position to adopt psychologically, IT JUST AINT A FUN PLACE TO BE!!!! there's enough crap going on in every other aspect of our social lives these days that drawing some inspiration and satisfaction from one's football team, even if fool's gold, is just a better way to live one tiny aspect of our lives. screw it fellas! we chose to follow this franchise. buck up, get back in the saddle, and start the ride - again. in your heart of hearts...you know that is the journey.

this from someone who normally ENJOYS analytically ripping just about everything! well, aside from family and friends, I want good vibes from my football team and my golf game!!! enough with the *amn arrow tossing before the new path has even been mapped.

if it fails again...so what? YOU CHOSE TO FOLLOW THIS TEAM. we get temporarily frustrated/angry, and then start over. otherwise, perhaps you should find some other avenue in your short lives that is more rewarding. it's on you. not dan snyder. not mike shanahan or bruce allen - you control what ticks you off and keeps you up night after night, year after year. that, my friends, you have the power to control.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will say though, more than at any time in my lifetime being a Redskins fan, the current transition period has a definite 'there's a sucker born every minute' feel to it.

we'll know almost instantly the moment a coaching decision is made. I think there is pretty wide berth for the type of coach brought in. the stage has already been set in one regard - there will not be one all powerful God controlling every aspect of the team's fortunes/operations. in my mind, everything from an old hand (Cower) to an unknown (some coordinator currently readying for the playoffs) are viable options. cuz there are trade-offs in every decision. what I see the franchise doing here, even if by baby-steps, is starting to map out the foundation - the stable parts of this organization that will not change from regime to regime. it's not an easy thing to do - huge corporations fail at this all the time. major surprise (not): at its heart...it's a human problem. there are visions, strategies and plans. but people have to understand and commit. there's a lot going on in Redskin-land right now. some of it is remediating the mistakes of the past - this is a process that started with Shanahan's arrival and will continue. part of it is laying the foundation for the new culture, the new football "business model"/"value function". it is complicated. it is fraught with risks. it is being marshaled by flawed, fallible people. but it is also what goes on every day in every avenue of life.

we all have to understand: despite Allen's emphasis on urgency yesterday....it will take time.

the coaching selection may swing me back into Camp Negative, but for right now I'm riding on the Positive Bus.

If they pick a coach that will maintain control over the coaching and on the field decisions, i'll be happy. If they pick a young guy that has a chance to be here long term, I'll be even happier.

If they pick Cowher and he's just a coach, that assembles a staff, and functions as a HC while his underlings do all the work and make names for themselves, I can buy into that.

If he's going to get some fancy title and have ultimate power over the organization, a la Mike Shanahan, then I'm going to burn something to the ground. (no, feds, i haven't decided what, it may be my own property, go away)

We're learning a lot about our new organization day by day... the HC hire will be one of the final main pieces.

You know what? I didnt have a problem with the banner at all. We are a fan site. Its ok for the team to know that rearranging the deck chairs doesn't give everyone the warm and fuzzies anymore.
Wins matter. All this other crap doesn't. I appreciate that Allen and the team have to say something tto keep us interested in what's going on but ... wake me up when the team actually wins something. Get that banner taken down that way. Until then, none of this other stuff matters.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

You know what? I didnt have a problem with the banner at all. We are a fan site. Its ok for the team to know that rearranging the deck chairs doesn't give everyone the warm and fuzzies anymore.
Wins matter. All this other crap doesn't. I appreciate that Allen and the team have to say something tto keep us interested in what's going on but ... wake me up when the team actually wins something. Get that banner taken down that way. Until then, none of this other stuff matters.

yes...winning is the ultimate metric. so what's your plan/hypothesis for making it happen?

Agreed. Any comment I've made about the banner is in jest. it's an unfortunate summation of what has been 12 months of a painful decline from the euphoric feeling we all had this time last year.

No one has any idea what is going on inside redskins park right now. What we do know is that Snyder has failed on every measurable level in terms of being an owner. Over 14 years he's made us a regular laughing stock, he's ruined the season ticket holder community (i mean he's really, really ruined it. it's hard to know if you're not part of it, but there are many here that were or, for some reason, still are and they are all well aware of how it's been ruined), he's ruined the organizations relationship with the local media. Every metric he's failed.

Believing things are going to get better over this off season requires a level of delusion that you just can't fault anyone for not having.

However, I'm embracing that delusion. I have no misconceptions about that delusion either.

Allen's first move was to seize control, announce the new organizational structure, and the next step: finding a head coach.

Fansince62 has talked multiple times about a vision. Let's see what Allen's vision is.

I'm sick of this team being beholden to the whims of the current head coach. I'm sick of having to blow out the roster every few years because we brought in a new coach with no consideration of current staff, and to implement his 'System' we had to bring in all new players.

If Allen hires a coach that's determined to take what we have and improve on it, it's another step in the right direction.

If Allen truly takes a long term approach, defines a vision, defines what is Redskin Football, and sticks to it, then I think we'll be ok in the long run.

After the coaching selection, we'll wait until April when we find out exactly what the deal is. Free agency with the new cap space, and the draft, will tell us about the vision of this team; or the lack there of.

Until then I'm holding out hope that Allen is the right man for the job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.