• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

This needs to be Shannys last year

Sarge

So, I finally get to sit down and watch a game. Only because it was a night game. And what do I see? Things that would be understandable in year one, even year two
a rebuild. But not year four. Yes, I know Vinny left a steaming pile in his wake, and yes I know we've been hit by the league. BUT, last night was sad. No discipline. Clock
management sucked. We had two weeks off and this is the best they can put on the field? I really hope Bruce Allen is looking for coaching candidates. That is all.

I'm willing to give him 2 more years. I wasn't honestly expecting much this year. Didn't think we would be this bad though. Anyhow, last year we caught teams off guard with our offense and we got turnovers on D. I knew that wasn't going to last.

We should be able to add 4 or 5 starters next year and year after we'll have a 1st rd pick. There's absolutely no excuses for Shanahan after that.

I've been squarely in the keep Shanny camp, but his record during his tenure here is AWFUL. I suppose if he finishes strong this season, and then starts strong next year, I'll be all right. But if we finish strong this year then dig ourselves another hole next year, I will change my mind.

I don't have the same feeling about Kyle that I did last year, that he is being too cute, trying to be the smartest guy in the room. But something is off.

It was maddening to watch us run the read option last night with great success and then try to convert Griff to a pocket passer after we started shredding them. Not sure what that was about. Our OLine wasn't good enough last night, but we need a deep throw to connect at some point so that the DBs will play the run honestly. Mike, your suggestion to bootleg Griff is probably the only way that will work. Bootleg him behind Trent and let it rip. It needs to happen, because the read option will improve things, but not fix them as D's will continue to creep up to the LOS with no threat of a deep passing game.

If we do not win the division easily next year...he should be fired. That would be 5 years of mediocrity I was afraid might happen when we hired him. Oh and Danny Boy needs to go to him and "suggest" he find help finding talent!

Coaches rarely go into their last year without a contract.

So you either extend him at the end of this season, or you fire him.

If you believe that he can take you to a SB, then you extend him. If not, then you look to improve.

If we do not win the division easily next year...he should be fired. That would be 5 years of mediocrity I was afraid might happen when we hired him. Oh and Danny Boy needs to go to him and "suggest" he find help finding talent!

Yeah, I think that's about where I am with things. Even if there are injury problems next year, I want a division title. With the Bullmara penalties behind us, we should be able to restock the roster and provide some depth to account for the injuries that every team faces.

Part of this is Shanahan's fault and part not.

The Redskins were going to be in the hunt for Aqib Talib and probably one of the veteran OL/WR in free agency. But the cap penalty which he inherited from the Haynesworth and Hall contracts prevented Mike from improving the team from 2012 using free agency.

So, you are left with a team that continues to have holes that are being exposed.

At the same time I am critical of Mike because he failed to be patient and keep his 2010 draft picks and made horrible trades for McNabb and Jamaal Brown. He then went out and signed Josh Morgan after we had just spent $40M on Pierre Garçon. That $12M could have been spent at CB, S, or on the OL.

Morgan is an average receiver. But we spent Acura prices on a Nissan Centra.

Part of this is Shanahan's fault and part not.

The Redskins were going to be in the hunt for Aqib Talib and probably one of the veteran OL/WR in free agency. But the cap penalty which he inherited from the Haynesworth and Hall contracts prevented Mike from improving the team from 2012 using free agency.

Ah, but Mike didn't "inherit" the cap penalty part of that, BD. He may have inherited the contracts but he was part of the brain trust that chose the path that lead us to a $36 million penalty. He didn't inherit that so much as he helped create it and knew there was at least a chance we would be punished for it.

That's what's so mind boggling, we should be clicking in yr 4 instead of looking like an expansion team. Agree Kyle goes full pass retard waaaaaay too much when the run game is working.

Idk, suppose end of next season will tell how bad they need to stay or not.

One way or another the Cerrato moves for Hall, Haynesworth, Fred Davis, etc continue to bite us.

These players way underperform their contracts and yet it takes YEARS to purge them from the roster.

One way or another the Cerrato moves for Hall, Haynesworth, Fred Davis, etc continue to bite us.

These players way underperform their contracts and yet it takes YEARS to purge them from the roster.

I am not a fan of D Hall, but he was the MVP of the Dallas game.

A note on Kyle. I admit to being dumbfounded, at times, by some of the play calling. However, the failure to execute the play is on the players. When you've seen a play work, when properly executed, then you know they can do it. Mental lapses are not the plays fault, it's the players fault.

And yeah, Shanny owns the cap penalties. He could have gotten a higher pick for Slobworth, and rid the team of his presence a year earlier than he did. He could have traded Carter for a pick, after the asinine switch to the 3-4. The McGagg debacle was as bad a move as most made by Cerrato.

Still, I'll wait for the end of this season to decide whether I want him to stay, or not. Though, for now, I'm on the "keep him" bus. And that's coming from someone who did NOT want him in the first place.

There's still time to turn this season into a winner. And until proven otherwise, I'll continue to believe it will happen.

Yeah. Blow it all up. Again. That's what great teams building for the future do. Because if we're not winning now, all is lost.

I agree with you somewhat. But if running the ball is working and you decide to get cute with a WR screen and we lose 6yds, it's not on the team. Its on the coach for not sticking to what works. Kyle has no set game plan..its all over the place each and every game.
Eh, it's always about execution. If running is working, (which I've yet to see a game this season that our running game was working, at will) and you run again, and are stopped behind the LOS for loss because someone missed a block, what's the difference?

Unpredictability is harder to stop than, predictability.

At it's best, last year, our running game was never the Riggo Drill. It was the defense's inability to decipher run, from pass, until it was too late. We can no longer walk up to the line, ala Russ Grimm, and tell the other team where we're heading, and then do it, even with them knowing what's coming. Yeah i miss that too. But it's gone, forever.

Well, I'd classify "at will" to mean each would have a handful of 45 yarders, whenever they wanted. That was clearly not the case.

I'm going by what I thought I saw. Which was, until Morris' TD run, he was getting stuffed, regularly.

I'm all for running, believe me. I thought the balance was ok early on. Had we got in the end zone, instead of kicking field goals, I suspect we would have turned more towards the run.

Griffin's QB draw should have been an easy TD. But Monty whiffed on his block. Which, could have just as easily happened on the 4th down you referenced.

Bottom line, if the plays called were properly executed, we'd be 4-2 right now, and everybody would be a lot happier than we are now.

My only real concern right now, is beating Da' Bears. By running, passing, cheating, or just plain luck.

This is Year 4 of the program. If Shanahan gets an extension and a chance to use free agency in 2014 to finally address some of the glaring holes fine.

But I also think it is fair for the owner, GM and fans to review what has been accomplished (or not) and perhaps make the decision to move on.

4 or 5 years in today's NFL is a long time.

New Orleans went from crappy to Super Bowl champs in that amount of time.

Vermeil in St. Louis had the Rams from worst to first in 3 plus years.

So, evaluation after 4 years here is duly warranted.

This is Year 4 of the program. If Shanahan gets an extension and a chance to use free agency in 2014 to finally address some of the glaring holes fine.

But I also think it is fair for the owner, GM and fans to review what has been accomplished (or not) and perhaps make the decision to move on.

4 or 5 years in today's NFL is a long time.

New Orleans went from crappy to Super Bowl champs in that amount of time.

Vermeil in St. Louis had the Rams from worst to first in 3 plus years.

So, evaluation after 4 years here is duly warranted.

(In friendly good-natured spirit) 'Well duh?'

Okay Bulldog. Evaluate away. Are you advocating letting Shanahan work through what is a somewhat unique situation (franchise QB in 2nd season fighting his way back from his 2nd major knee reconstruction) or are you advocating blowing it up?

I realize there are many other aspects of this teams success (or lack of it) that Shanahan is responsible for, but I also think you'd agree that to a large extent, where Griffin goes so too go the Redskins...

we rushed the ball 32 times total with Morris getting 16 of them. No RB in the league can get going on only 16 carries..thats when they start hitting their stride.

we got this damn ZBS for some reason yet continue NOT to use it to its full advantage.

What's crazy is 16 attempts is his season HIGH!!!!

That's what burns me up about Kyle, he almost refuses to commit to the run.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.