• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Summer Vacation Ideas

Elephant

The Commissioner
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
OK, so I am coming up on my vacation time toward the end of July/early August. I have been trying to figure out the best place to take my wife and one year old son. Ideally, I would be finding a river somewhere to spend a few days /nights on but the little monster threw a wrench in me doing that for a while...at least with the family.

Anyway, we are considering Bar Harbour Maine/Acadia National Park. I want to go somewhere we haven't been before, but that's tough since South Dakota is the only state in the lower 48 I have not been to. I am thinking that's a little too far though. Probably gonna have to keep it on the east coast. She mentioned the Outer Banks, where we could visit friends who have a son about 2 weeks younger than my boy and I am thinking the boy would love the beach, but we've been there. I refuse to consider OC, MD a real Beach so that is out of the question. Maybe, Cape May? Never been there...

Anyway, for those of you with kids who have pondered summer vacation with youngins, what would you suggest for a nice 7 day family vacation?

Pez and I just took a cruise. Super cheap last minute prices and no it did not break down :) They have stuff for kids too where you and wife could get away.

What about the Adirondacks?

I've only been for a canoe trip that definitely wouldn't be suited for a young boy, but I believe there are many difference types of places to stay/things to do.

How about a trip through New England and stopping at some interesting points of interests every day or two. Go up I-87 and stop in Albany. Take a tour via the aquaducks.

http://www.albanyaquaducks.com/pages/historic.asp

Crossover to Vermont and as you are admiring the scenery and work your way to the Burlington area, you can experience Lake Champlain in a such a special way.

http://lakechamplaincruises.com/

From there, go to New Hampshire and visit Mt. Washington - one of the most unique places on earth for interesting weather.

http://www.mountwashington.org/

From there, go to Bar Harbor and enjoy - you know the area already it seems - it is a favorite of mine. :)

Then head down to Massachusetts - so much history there! Gloucester, Concord, Lexington, Plymouth, Salem, etc.

Rhode Island may not offer a lot due to its size, but driving through Newport and looking at those mansions can be a nice experience.

Conclude your trip with a stop to NW Connecticut. Just below Canaan, the small village of West Cornwall offers the entire family a great opportunity - white water rafting. It's not rough stuff, just a nice 11 mile venture down the river. You can stop halfway at a covered bridge and go inside a nice café for lunch. Go in dressed as you are - they expect it. It is a lot of fun. After you are finished, they will take you back to your vehicle.

http://www.clarkeoutdoors.com/rafting.htm

Head home with some good memories and wish you could do it all again the following week.

BB, I have done a very similar trip to the one you mentioned, only it started in Rhode Island for a wedding, then to Cape Cod, to Portland, to Mt Washington over to East Vermont and down through western Mass.

The reason I was thinking Acadia is because I missed it last time due to extenuating circumstances.

t-, we were thinking about Delaware Gap. Maybe a trip over to NYC for a day or 2.

And Huly, you will never, ever, ever see me on a cruise. I have no sea legs, that's why I am not doing DM's job! :instigate:

And Huly, you will never, ever, ever see me on a cruise. I have no sea legs, that's why I am not doing DM's job! :instigate:

:instigate: And I have a bad cuticle on my right index fingernail. That's why I don't do yours!

Seriously though, Bar Harbor is gorgeous. I recommend going there when the leaves change, its breathtaking. I've just hung out on a boat there and southwest harbor before. :instigate: Took a puddle jumper from boston to bar harbor once in October, man the colors were awesome!

Last edited:
If you are okay out West, I spent a nice vacation in an upscale log cabin in Montana. The river from the movie, "The River Runs Through It" was thirty yards from our kitchen.

You'd have all the fly fishing you could want in your backyard. White water rafting would be great for the whole family. And a day or two in Yellowstone is only a short drive away.

And.....those Montana skies at night are awesome with all of the fresh air and bright stars everywhere.

I appreciate the suggestions McD...I do not go out on the ocean! :laugh: ever! Seasick is not fun...

Montana is nice, been twice. Too early for the boy. When he is old enough, every summer I hope to visit at least one major national park out west...I think by the time he's 5 or 6 we'll start going.

For now, I have to consider what will work for him, I wanted to head up to Maine most, but it's one of those...he won't have much to do things. The beach is probably best for that.

Pretty sure we are going to do either Cape May or the Outer Banks so I can take him to FL with me for a short 4 or 5 day trip in July. I want him to meet many of my friends down there who have not had the chance to meet him yet.

I appreciate the suggestions McD...I do not go out on the ocean! :laugh: ever! Seasick is not fun...

Montana is nice, been twice. Too early for the boy. When he is old enough, every summer I hope to visit at least one major national park out west...I think by the time he's 5 or 6 we'll start going.

For now, I have to consider what will work for him, I wanted to head up to Maine most, but it's one of those...he won't have much to do things. The beach is probably best for that.

Pretty sure we are going to do either Cape May or the Outer Banks so I can take him to FL with me for a short 4 or 5 day trip in July. I want him to meet many of my friends down there who have not had the chance to meet him yet.

I heard Ocean City was really nice? :instigate: Even better... Wildwood NJ!?!!

I heard Ocean City was really nice? :instigate: Even better... Wildwood NJ!?!!

:laugh: After spending 10 years in South Florida, you can bet your arse that I won't spend much time in the **** holes from Va Beach to Long Island...except Cape May. I hear a lot of nice things about it. We'll see...but I will probably end up in the OBX again.

:laugh: After spending 10 years in South Florida, you can bet your arse that I won't spend much time in the **** holes from Va Beach to Long Island...except Cape May. I hear a lot of nice things about it. We'll see...but I will probably end up in the OBX again.

My brother takes his family to Cape May every year. If its a tossup between the outer banks and there... I would go to the outer banks too!!!

My brother takes his family to Cape May every year. If its a tossup between the outer banks and there... I would go to the outer banks too!!!

Yeah, for the money we can't beat th OBX, just not trying to do the same thing every year. Maybe we will just say **** it and head to Hilton Head! :)

The beaches here in Carolina are awesome. I'll be heading to Holden Beach in 2 weeks... Much less commercial than the Outer Banks and much less expensive...and just north of Myrtle Beach if you want to shop or hot the night life. Very family oriented there and not crowded like beaches

Renting an RV can make for a great vacation if you're looking for some peace and quiet, and love the outdoors. There's countless places with available RV camping off the beaten path.

Works well when traveling with little ones, and depending on the company, some allow family pets too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.