• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

BREAKING NEWS
Cooley will strongly consider returning to the redskins under a new regime next year

and he was only like 5% kidding.

He must be counting on us firing all our TEs too. Because that's what it would take for him to see the field :)

Breaking news from Cooley's show (cooley doesn't believe it though):

Kyle Shanahan is the one person driving all the drama. Mike being forced to choose between son and job.

DUN DUN DUN

Need some goat gifs from Mike, where is he?

He must be counting on us firing all our TEs too. Because that's what it would take for him to see the field :)

He wants to play special teams and help Reed in the classroom and meetings.

He wanted to do that this year and the Shanahans said he wasn't good enough to play special teams. He offered to take a cut to vet minimum.

Yes, he's taken offense to that.

Did he also require Shanahan to start him despite being 50-60% in game 1?

This is what I'd really like to know. It would explain a few things like why was last years offense totally abandoned early in the year.

I'm not the biggest Dan Snyder fan at all but that doesn't sound plausible. I think he is actually trying to be consistent in his claim of being in a "I've stepped away from running the team myself" mode because if he wasn't and let Shanny make that call and then noticed-like everybody else-that Griff still wasn't healed enough to be even close to what he was during the last part of last season he'd have pulled Mike into his office for a little "Don't destroy my toy you idiot!" chit-chat way earlier in the season.

I love Cooley, but he's no longer capable of making a difference on the field (the only reason we should sign him is for sentimental reasons and because he's a fan favorite). They did bring him back once. He didn't do much then. I think he's like a lot of aging vets, it stings to know no one is calling you to come help their team.

And I bet he is more like 75% joking...

I'd play Cooley over sleepy.
I love Cooley, but he's no longer capable of making a difference on the field (the only reason we should sign him is for sentimental reasons and because he's a fan favorite). They did bring him back once. He didn't do much then. I think he's like a lot of aging vets, it stings to know no one is calling you to come help their team.

And I bet he is more like 75% joking...

So would I. Then again, I can't figure out why Davis is still a Redskin to begin with. Maybe he and Snyder doob it up after work...

Cooley reviewing film:

KC knew Griffin only watches 1/2 of the field. As soon as the ball was snapped Griffins head would turn to one side, the whole KC defense moved to that side to pick up the routes. They abandoned the other side of the field.

Griffin's got happy feet which is why he can't throw accurately. He equated it to constantly moving your feet while taking a swing in golf.

Yay...

Cooley went on to pretty much shit all over Griffin's fundamentals. Stuff we've been hearing from certain people for quite a while (no pocket presence, not able to read the field [much less the defense], not able to go through a route tree/progressions, too much running around, O line doesn't know where he will be, he doesn't where receivers are, awful footwork, no confidence, etc)

Czabe: "If I were to say this franchise way over payed for a project of a player..."

Cooley: "We're getting close."

Cooley then brought up Cam Newton's 2nd year vs 3rd.

Ultimately a new system/OC might be the only real correction needed.

HTTR24-7.com ‏@HTTR24_7
Last week Shanny said he had to play the best guys or risk losing the players. Yesterday he said he might bench 1 of the best guys for safety

Rich Tandler ‏@Rich_TandlerCSN
@HTTR24_7 Well, he lost the locker room yesterday by throwing his OL, K, P and Niles Paul under the bus. So, what the heck, right?

Getting pounded like a practice Dummy contributes to the happy feet. I think I heard he was Sacked 25 times in the last 3 weeks. I was embarrassed for the Oline and the coaching, back ups and play calling that allowed that kind of unneeded abuse. Cousins has played behind the same line and he doesn't look like a better option.
Cooley reviewing film:

KC knew Griffin only watches 1/2 of the field. As soon as the ball was snapped Griffins head would turn to one side, the whole KC defense moved to that side to pick up the routes. They abandoned the other side of the field.

Griffin's got happy feet which is why he can't throw accurately. He equated it to constantly moving your feet while taking a swing in golf.

Yay...

After taking significant punishment in the pocket Patrick Ramsey developed happy feet as well and Spurrier's system of sending everyone out in pass patterns and leaving only 5 in to block ruined his early career.

Yup.

Czabe and cooley just went on a rant about how we paid so many draft picks for a QB and going into year 3 he has:
- no continuity in system/coach (assuming a completely blow out, which I think is the safe assumption)
- already come off a serious injury
- has mechanical/physical problems that have gotten worse over year 2 (regardless of the reason)
- has mental issues with pocket presence and progressions

ugh. not what you expect going into year 3 with a qb you used 4 picks to get.

I remember a lot of the same hand-wringing when Norv was here. Should he stay or should he go?

Well, in the end he needed to go. The fact the Redskins didn't do a very good job of replacing him and allowing that coach a legitimate chance to succeed is another point of discussion.

But the ultimate failure of Norv to successfully navigate other head coaching opportunities in the league points to the accuracy of the initial judgment.

In this case we are talking about a 61 year old coach whose greatest moment of glory came when Bill Clinton was still President. That was awhile ago :)

Shanahan in some ways reminds me of other formerly successful coaches that took other jobs only to appear lost and beyond their primes - Mike Ditka in New Orleans, Jimmy Johnson in Miami, George Seifert in Carolina, Steve Mariucci in Detroit.

Shanahan has been trying to figure out how to crack the 'nut' of implementing his son's offensive system and his own beloved 3-4 defense for almost 4 seasons and at 3-10 it all seems a mess.

The fact he went with Rex Grossman and John Beck for half of 2010 and all of 2011 as the starting quarterback set this team back quite a bit.

After two years the team had 11 wins and 21 losses and few core players added to the roster.

Then there was the trade of 4 high picks for Griffin and the salary cap penalty.

But make no mistake, at the end of the 2011 season not much visible progress had been made in those first 2 years.

Blaming everything on the cap penalty is just misdirection.

6-10, 5-11, 10-6, 3-13 (unless cousins starts then 6-10 because the football gods have a sick sense of humor)

after 4 years it's clear the abnormality is a 7 game winning streak where Griffin straight carried an entire team by completely confusing opponents and just flat out being awesome; no turnovers, best accuracy, and amazing speed and courage.

the trend is suckitude.

Shanahan must go. And if he's going to try to take down Griffin then get your pitchforks ready.

Actually, Shanahan's suitability is as much called into question because of his coaching hires as his personnel moves as GM.

Haslett and the defense are awful. The Special Teams under Keith Burns may be the worst in Redskins' history.

On offense, his coordinator and franchise quarterback can't seem to get on the same page.

Where on this staff are things working well?

And Redskins fans that brush it under the rug like it didn't have much of an effect on the roster is just mind boggling.

I don't think it is brushed away, but this staff is the reason we have the cap penalty. Yeah I know that Mara and the NFL screwed us, but this staff rolled the dice and lost. Everybody wants to see what they can do without it, well the first two years they didn't have it and I do not recall them making any mind blowing pick ups. I mean unless you count mcnugget LOL!

I was talking with a co worker and he said that Shanny should have never brought Kyle in with him. It never works out, and now Mike will lose his job because of it imo.

Someone please spare me from having to read 15 more articles today, or from 30 minutes on twitter.

Did anything new break today? Any big story or rumor?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.