• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

” NFL owners put the blame for the bleeding of goodwill squarely on the so-called management of Snyder and his pally team President Bruce Allen, who they regard as “literally, a joke.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...c2be4cbd_story.html?__twitter_impression=true

The Post specializes in beating on the low-hanging fruit, don't they? If they didn't have Donald Trump and Daniel Snyder to beat on and gut every second of every day, they'd have to find actual news to write about :)

I didn't read the article.
I don't need to.
I already know what it says.

I'm a Redskins fan, so I pretty much know what the deal is.

The Post will be the last source of truth to enlighten anyone here, or anywhere else for that matter. Might as well just build a Sally Jenkins forum. These days, the water's fine, come on in.

Yeah - he pretty well nails it, doesn't he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He sure does.

The latest I've seen on twitter is that Snyder stayed at the stadium until 3am discussing the future. What I find interesting is that several people were mentioned to have been in attendance for varying periods of time. Gruden was there for a short time. Allen was said to have been there most of the time. Cooley? Yup, apparently Cooley was there for a short period of time, as well.

The name I did not hear, was Gibbs. Why would Snyder invite him to the game, yet not include him in such a lengthy meeting?

Anyone else hear anything about Gibbs being present?

There were voices out there that doubted the style of play getting to 6-3 was going to produce results long term. You aren't always going to be playing with the lead and in today's game you have to be able to throw the ball when necessary.

You also have to prove you can stand in and throw punches with the Saints and the Eagles in the NFC among others.

Patiently beating Arizona and Tampa and watching other team's quarterbacks disintegrate like Kessler in JAX and taking advantage is not enough to hang your hat on.

I remember Michael Strahan and Brian Mitchell talking about the Redskins mild success early with upside limitations.

A 34 year old game manager handing the ball off to a 33 year old tailback and throwing to an underwhelming former #1 pick in Doctson and an oft injured Jamison Crowder and Paul Richardson.

That's the profile of an offense that would require a near total overhaul even if the team had finished 9-7 as a wildcard.

Qb and RB are on the back nine of their careers.

Crowder is a free agent.

Jordan Reed finished the year on IR yet again.

Richardson got hurt almost from the get go in 2018.

Doctson is no one you can count on.

That's just the unvarnished truth looking at this unit from an objective perspective.

Well, you're not watching anyway, right? So doesn't much matter :)

I didn't watch because the Redskins weren't on FTA. If I was a fan of New England, Denver, Pittsburgh or Green Bay, one or a combination of two would be on FTA every week. The last time the Redskins were on FTA was your Thanksgiving, and even though I knew we would lose, I had the game on until half time.

He sure does.

The latest I've seen on twitter is that Snyder stayed at the stadium until 3am discussing the future. What I find interesting is that several people were mentioned to have been in attendance for varying periods of time. Gruden was there for a short time. Allen was said to have been there most of the time. Cooley? Yup, apparently Cooley was there for a short period of time, as well.

The name I did not hear, was Gibbs. Why would Snyder invite him to the game, yet not include him in such a lengthy meeting?

Anyone else hear anything about Gibbs being present?

I'm not sure that Twitter source is reliable. People on Twitter suggesting Cooley should:

a) Be in the front office
b) Be the offensive coordinator
c) Be named the head coach

Seriously - Twitter is like a gestation chamber for stupid.

Jim Zorn coached at the college and NFL level for 20 years (after a decade as a starting QB) and even that didn't qualify him to be a head coach. If Cooley wants to step out of the broadcast booth and try his hand at coaching, that's great. But he's about as qualified as one of us to step in today as a coach.

I'm not sure that Twitter source is reliable. People on Twitter suggesting Cooley should:

a) Be in the front office
b) Be the offensive coordinator
c) Be named the head coach

Seriously - Twitter is like a gestation chamber for stupid.

Jim Zorn coached at the college and NFL level for 20 years (after a decade as a starting QB) and even that didn't qualify him to be a head coach. If Cooley wants to step out of the broadcast booth and try his hand at coaching, that's great. But he's about as qualified as one of us to step in today as a coach.

I don't think Cooley was considered for any position in the organization, I was just mentioning he was present. I'm more curious as to the input of Gibbs.

Even in yesterday's Press Conference, Gruden acknowledged that 'a lot of things have to change'. I don't think he's stupid. He knows that about the only thing that matters is wins, and although he'd have to be an idiot not to point to available roster the past 2 years as a huge factor, I don't think he believes that's the only area that needs to improve.

And as far as a coaching change, I wouldn't be so sure just yet. Gruden didn't sound super confident yesterday. Snyder may be looking at what the chances of getting an upgrade to Gruden here are before pulling the trigger. Or if he's looking at a new GM, wants to finally let that guy pick his head coach.

Sometimes with coaches patience is the key. You look the teams that change coaches quite often are the ones that don't have success. I don't know if Jay will be here next year as far as I can tell no meeting has taken place yet. I think the impatient Snyder would have fires instantly after Sunday's game. I do believe no matter what there has to be a playoff mandate next year if Jay stays. I do think we are on a cusp of being dominate. If we switch to a new coach and the next coach goes 5-11 with basically the same guys here imagine the grumbling that will go on.

That's the fallacy - thinking we are really close to being a contending team and need to maintain continuity.

I see this teammuch further away right now. The idea of bringing in a new coach or GM and suffering through a 5-11 rebuilding year is probably not that far from the truth of what could happen.

But this team could keep everyone and come back next year and go 5-11 with a roster of players with many of the same weaknesses showing through.

That would only be kicking the can down the road.

The Redskins are in perilous territory - this team is close to being like the other dumpster fire in town - the Wizards.

Both teams think they are close and have consistently fall short. Both teams have ‘stars' that are injury prone. Both teams overpay these ‘stars' based on what they produce vs their peers around the league.

And finally - both teams have continuity with the owner Leonsis continuing to depend upon a GM in Grunfeld that consistently underperforms his peers but has been in town since 2003.

It's 15 years counting on Grunfeld. I don't want it to go 15 years on Bruce Allen.

He has already overseen mistakes that would have cost most GMs their jobs.

That's the fallacy - thinking we are really close to being a contending team and need to maintain continuity.

I see this teammuch further away right now. The idea of bringing in a new coach or GM and suffering through a 5-11 rebuilding year is probably not that far from the truth of what could happen.

But this team could keep everyone and come back next year and go 5-11 with a roster of players with many of the same weaknesses showing through.

That would only be kicking the can down the road.

While wasting another year of the few key young players we have, and a few older vets who would be hard to replace.

Sometimes with coaches patience is the key. You look the teams that change coaches quite often are the ones that don't have success. I don't know if Jay will be here next year as far as I can tell no meeting has taken place yet. I think the impatient Snyder would have fires instantly after Sunday's game. I do believe no matter what there has to be a playoff mandate next year if Jay stays. I do think we are on a cusp of being dominate. If we switch to a new coach and the next coach goes 5-11 with basically the same guys here imagine the grumbling that will go on.

I have long harped on the constant coaching revolving door as being the #1 reason we've been bad for most of the past 20 years. Some will argue that sticking with a bad coach only compounds losing and failure and that the sooner we make a change, the better the chances we stumble on to a really good coach. Of course that could happen, although I tend to believe that even really good coaches tend to look badly once with this organization. From what I can tell, they generally are stripped of most of their authority, have scant to no input on player acquisition and the draft, and often are undermined by the owner and front office's catering to star players. This may not be as overt as it was in year's past, but I believe it's still going on.

It leaves us in a tough place. Because Gruden is probably a pretty solid head coach. On the other hand, those who argue that he hasn't shown any growth and will never be an above average HC have plenty of ammo too. My question is, how the hell can you evaluate any HC when they are saddled with this org and FO?

He should get a lot of credit for continuing to hang in there as the FO has bumbled and stumbled it's way along. I believe he was told he *would keep* Jim Haslett his first year - because Snyder didn't want to pay yet another coach to sit at home. Supposed genius Scot McCloughan was forced on him and his questionable picks probably set us back 5 years or more. And if any of the other nonsense reported is actually going on (like being pressured or told to play certain players), he may well be a saint for tolerating it all.

I wouldn't call him a saint for allowing himself to be led around by his nose.
I'd call him a candy ass. Unable to lead water over the falls.

I don't know folks.

FIVE years is a long run in the NFL these days for a coach that doesn't show that his program is already on an upward trajectory.

This isn't the 1970's or 80's where there was no free agency and teams were able to keep all of their good players away from their rivals.

The current day NFL is about turnover as you see the Vikings, Steelers and Titans miss the playoffs this year.

Gone are the days when a Tom Landry got 6 or 7 years to take his program to its heights and continue on a 20 plus year run.

In fact if you go back and look at how soon the best NFL coaches win, many even back in the day arrived by Year 5:

Joe Gibbs - second year
Bill Walsh - third year
Jimmy Johnson - fourth year (with 11-5 by Year 3)
Bill Parcells - third year

Among coaches in the 2000's guys like Doug Peterson and Mike Tomlin won early on with their new teams.

Pete Carroll, coming back after being at USC, had the Seahawks back in the playoffs fairly quickly and won the SB two years later.

We are in much the same situation here now that we were in with Norv after almost 7 years at the helm.

Norv was a knowledgeable guy who seemed nice enough off the field, etc.

But like Gruden he never seemed to have an answer for players that didn't perform or who had disciplinary problems.

A number of those players were allowed to stick around the team and it only made it that much more difficult to climb the mountain.

In fact one of the qualities I see in Belichick, Gibbs, Parcells, etc. is that they were very good at QUICKLY weeding out guys that couldn't play or didn't want to play.

There were no 'fellow' travelers that were locker room lawyers complaining about the coaches and organization.

These guys were quickly traded or released.

The other part of that equation for these coaches was running a team that was a meritocracy.

If a guy can play he gets on the field.

If a guy is a former #1 or #2 pick but is coming along very slowly and is way behind his peers these coaches and teams admit the mistake and move on.

If a guy is released and goes somewhere else and is a solid NFL player by age 28 or 29, good for him.

But Belichick isn't going to wait 4 or 5 years for a guy to START showing he belongs.

Was curious how our D ended up as a whole via stats. Was pleasantly surprised at a few of our rankings honestly.

Defense ranked League wide
4th in points against, but 29th in total points
7th in sacks w/46
tied for 9th w/15 interceptions
4th with 19 forced fumbles

Compared to the Hazmat years there's plenty to build on with our defense. Didn't even peak at offense, that makes me sad

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...ensiveStatisticCategory=SACKS&qualified=false

Was curious how our D ended up as a whole via stats. Was pleasantly surprised at a few of our rankings honestly.

Defense ranked League wide
4th in points against, but 29th in total points
7th in sacks w/46
tied for 9th w/15 interceptions
4th with 19 forced fumbles

Compared to the Hazmat years there's plenty to build on with our defense. Didn't even peak at offense, that makes me sad

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...ensiveStatisticCategory=SACKS&qualified=false

Among highest sacks but also among highest for opposing team pass completion percentage: only 5 teams had a higher percentage. Makes sense: DC's atatck scheme plus poor LB coverage abilities = easy dink & dunk strategy. And that's what I saw all season long. A decent pass rush that was still a second to 1.5 secs short of being consistently disruptive. We also allowed one of of the longest TD passes (by yardage).

Skins were also 15th in run defense (worse than I expected with) with 4.5/yds an attempt. Not good enough for what was supposed to be a strength.

Those sacks seem to have a way of coming in bunches against bad teams or in garbage time.

See New York game #1 or JAX or AZ.

When we need a sack against Philly or New Orleans or Houston to stop a drive on third down we don't get it ðŸ'¿

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.