2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Default Chris Cater: I Put Bounties Out on Players

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7907028

Chris Carter discusses his role in the bounties when he played. He even goes so far as to discuss the Buddy Ryan days with the Eagles. I wonder how much was paid out during the Body Bag Game?

For those who don't want to listen to all 18 minutes of the audio, Carter starts talking about the bounties he paid out, admittedly with cash, when he was playing at about the 2:50 second mark. Schelereth who was part of the interview even says he knew of them when he played, that it was just part of the game.
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I'm sure it happened all the time back in the old days. I'm not sure how relevant that is to today though.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Henry, I think there are a lot of people, not here necessarily, but around the innerwebz, who responded to the news like it was some brand new evil scheme, just short of WWII concentration camps in it's cruelty, practiced only by a handful of psychotic defensive players, out to maim special needs children.

The more acknowledgment that it wasn't, the better. IMO.

Going forward, govern it however they see fit. But people should look back, clearly, on the history of it, and know what it was.
    0 0 0 0

"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

I think that was the point Carter and even Schlereth were trying to make Ax. This is not a new phenomenon. I gotta say, the more I follow the suspensions, the more I think the NFL front office is getting out of control. OK, so some of the vocabulary Gregg Williams used may have been extreme and they "may" have thumbed their nose at the NFL but I don't think Sean Payton should have been suspended for a year. Belichek committed a far more egregious act and was not suspended.

Couple this with the cap hit we took and this is beginning to look like something far different than I would have expected from the agreed upon terms of the labor deal last year. Sounds like the old school owners are getting out of control.
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    Henry, I think there are a lot of people, not here necessarily, but around the innerwebz, who responded to the news like it was some brand new evil scheme, just short of WWII concentration camps in it's cruelty, practiced only by a handful of psychotic defensive players, out to maim special needs children.

The more acknowledgment that it wasn't, the better. IMO.

Going forward, govern it however they see fit. But people should look back, clearly, on the history of it, and know what it was.
    Ax, maybe I'm wrong about this, but I think it has been explained that while the league acknowledges that this went on a lot in the past, they've been trying to crack down in it in recent years. And that while most teams have at least at the top levels made some attempt to comply, the Saints not only ignored the new policy, but lied about it, and THAT'S what got them in trouble.

This Carter stuff ... it's like Pat Fischer saying that since he got away with mugging WRs in the 70s, refs are picking some specific DB when they throw a PI flag on him these days. Whether we like it or not, it's a different game now.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Ax, maybe I'm wrong about this, but I think it has been explained that while the league acknowledges that this went on a lot in the past, they've been trying to crack down in it in recent years. And that while most teams have at least at the top levels made some attempt to comply, the Saints not only ignored the new policy, but lied about it, and THAT'S what got them in trouble.
    Oh, I agree, That's why I didn't mention the league as being shocked by the practice. I meant the media, and some fans.

I believe the NFL came down as hard as they did on the Saints, precisely because of their being warned to stop, yet didn't. And then lied about it. But as El said, I think what Belicheat did was as bad, or worse. Yet the punishment was a joke, in comparison.

Then, you have us, and the Cowboys, penalized for nothing, being that no rules were broken. When others, who also didn't break any rules, but did break the invisible "spirit" of the rules as we supposedly did, get a BONUS?

Heir Goodell needs a good smack down.
    0 0 0 0

"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Oh you won't hear me defending Goodell at all. Something definitely seems out of whack with the way punishments are meted out these days.

That said, and I may be mistaken, but wasn't the Patriots cheating business handled on Tagliabue's watch?
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

That said, and I may be mistaken, but wasn't the Patriots cheating business handled on Tagliabue's watch?

No Henry, Goodell's watch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Na...ng_controversy
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    Well then, to put it delicately, that's a load of bull****.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Well then, to put it delicately, that's a load of bull****.

Me too!

And the thing that frustrates me most is that I was on the Owner's/Goodell's side in the labor dispute!
    0 0 0 0