• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Peyton Manning is a Bronco

If everything Florio wrote here is true, this is not Peyton's finest hour. I have to agree with him. Retired jerseys should stay retired. I sure don't want to see anyone, no matter how great, wearing Sammy's #33 or Darrell's #28 on the field for the Skins.

That's fine as long as the NFL doesn't last another couple hundred years. If it does, it could eventually be a problem.

That's fine as long as the NFL doesn't last another couple hundred years. If it does, it could eventually be a problem.
That's why retiring a number should be something that rarely happens. Of course it turns out that it's a little less rare than I thought depending on the team in question. Even so, once a number is retired it should stay that way. It shouldn't have even been a topic for discussion from either side.

If everything Florio wrote here is true, this is not Peyton's finest hour. I have to agree with him. Retired jerseys should stay retired. I sure don't want to see anyone, no matter how great, wearing Sammy's #33 or Darrell's #28 on the field for the Skins.

Yeah - I agree. Weird that a player would be so fixated on his jersey # they'd go to those kind of lengths to retain it if you ask me. The whole idea of 'retiring' numbers is dumb though. Over time, what happens when you don't have 53 available? Are we going to be rooting for good old 103?

I don't have a problem with retiring numbers, though when I look at the list of Bears and Giants I laugh a little. Some teams really need to lighten up. :)

I think the Redskins have the right idea. Retire the numbers unofficially for a generation or two, but leave the door open for someone else to some day wear them again. I have no idea who this guy Tripucka was. I doubt many people outside of Denver have ever heard of him.

That said, if a number is retired, respect the team and the history and just pick another damn number. If Joe freaking Montana can change his number without even thinking about it, so can Manning (or Jerry Rice for that matter. Good Grief.) I sure hope that some day when someone wants to wear #18 for Indy, Manning is as gracious. Maybe I'm being unfair, but I have this weird feeling he won't be.

I get where you are coming from, Boone, and for that reason I kinda feel like retiring a number should be something beyond special. Maybe even above and beyond the Hall of Fame.

I agree with the retirement of Sammy Baugh's #33. And I would agree with retiring Darrell's #28 if the team ever decided to do it. About the only other number I think I would support officially retiring is Bobby Mitchell's #49.

Tim Tebow will end up as a tight end, H-back or other to stay in the NFL long-term. I think that is Bellichick's interest in him. He sees him as a guy that can be a fullback that can run a 4.5 and take the pounding.

Tebow wants to be a quarterback but over time he will see that option has closed.

I just don't know - if he can't learn a playbook as a QB, how can he learn one as a receiver (if that's indeed true)? He'd end up only having a handful of packages, which teams would be able to sniff out pretty easily. I guess it remains to be seen though.

Yeah, an 84 year-old with Alzheimer's doesn't really know what he's talking about, Peyton. Should've started the Manning #19 era.

Interesting little tidbit in Peter King's article today about how Peyton ended up in Denver:

Midway through the evening Elway received a text telling him the Redskins had just pulled off a huge trade with St. Louis for the second pick in the draft, presumably to take prized Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III. Elway told Manning, "Whoa—Washington just traded for the second pick. Looks like they'll get RG3."

"What!?" Manning said, stunned.

From that reaction, Elway knew that the Redskins had been on Manning's list.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1196623/3/index.htm

Maybe the Redskins didn't know it. :)

That's interesting since early reports were that manning wanted 'nothing to do with washington', kind of making it look like we're not good enough for him

(although, given the past, i can't blame him)

It was much closer for Washington than the media believed. Like I said when the deal went down to get the second pick, the Redskins were still going to pursue Manning - and they did.

Yeah, we had no realistic chance after the trade went down. However, as King pointed out, there is a strong respect for Mike Shanahan in this league and that is why Manning gave serious consideration to the Redskins. We need to remember that when FAs are being courted in the future. In other words, we're in good hand with Coach Shanahan and GM Allen.

If you guys really think about it, the Denver Broncos are the first team in NFL history to sacrifice a virgin for a championship.

:)

If you guys really think about it, the Denver Broncos are the first team in NFL history to sacrifice a virgin for a championship.

:)

tim-tebow-broncos-sacrificed-a-virgin.jpg

Gotta hand it to Elway. The only way he was going to get rid of the phenomenon that is Tim Tebow was to find an even bigger fish to take his place. And then Peyton Manning became available :)

I daresay that Elway needed Manning more than the Redskins did.

Here the fan base was more than ready to move on from Grossman and Beck to a better future :laugh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.