• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Blognostications: 2011 - Week 1 vs NY Giants

• Thread starter Blognostications
  • Start date
Well call me a homer. Regardless of who we are playing or how bad we are, I always feel like we will win. If you go into a game expecting defeat chances are you already have lost.

I know the Giants have owned us in recent years, but my gut says this is a different year. For one, we are improved and distractions have been removed. We seem to be unified. From watching preseason I like the chemistry.

Second, I think the Giants are a disaster waiting to happen. There has been a lot of turmoil over losing Boss and Smith. Some feel the team should have resigned Plaxico. Heard Ely didn't even go speak to Plaxico when he was at the facility trying to decide where to go. Ely is not the leader Peyton is. I just see too many internal problems on this Giants team. I think you will see them implode this year and Coughlin out of work at end of the year.

Redskins will win Sunday.

Redskins are cresting up after a productive offseason, the Giants are adjusting to the departure of several SB vets in free agency and the loss of several others to the IR.

In a case of two teams going in opposite directions, Washington 20-17 in a close home win to start the season.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I think the Giants are a disaster waiting to happen. There has been a lot of turmoil over losing Boss and Smith. Some feel the team should have resigned Plaxico. Heard Ely didn't even go speak to Plaxico when he was at the facility trying to decide where to go. Ely is not the leader Peyton is. I just see too many internal problems on this Giants team. I think you will see them implode this year and Coughlin out of work at end of the year.

Redskins will win Sunday.

Exactly.

I think that Giants are a team in flux. They’ve lost a lot of depth on the defensive line and that was a definite strength of that team last year. Starting LB and DB are out for the season. The offensive line is younger, but is it better? I also hear rumors that Tom Coughlin is really the Goblin from the Harry Potter movies. I can’t confirm that last part but I’m inclined to believe it.

e15531e9-cf6f-4dad-8390-aae9f1b43e32.jpg

Skins win big in a home opener walk away. Calls for Coughlin’s job start before the team bus is warmed up to leave the stadium.

Redskins are cresting up after a productive offseason, the Giants are adjusting to the departure of several SB vets in free agency and the loss of several others to the IR.

In a case of two teams going in opposite directions, Washington 20-17 in a close home win to start the season.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

This was my read as well but I was really afraid to put voice to it. For some reason, when it is the Giants, these things don't seem to make as much difference but I hope this time is different.

In the other thread, I said the 'Skins would lose by three. Ann says by four. I'm back and forth on this game though, but one thing has me really riled up...

Two doofisses who serve as maintenance personnel here at the complex are Giants fans and say it will be the same old story. Redskins paid to much for FAs - did nothing in the draft - meddling owner - coach who only won with a hall of famer from years ago - wrong players for 3-4 - older team - all of this from a conversation just yesterday. Morons.

In other words - I so want this game. A victory - a resounding victory is all I ask.

In the other thread, I said the 'Skins would lose by three. Ann says by four. I'm back and forth on this game though, but one thing has me really riled up...

Two doofisses who serve as maintenance personnel here at the complex are Giants fans and say it will be the same old story. Redskins paid to much for FAs - did nothing in the draft - meddling owner - coach who only won with a hall of famer from years ago - wrong players for 3-4 - older team - all of this from a conversation just yesterday. Morons.

In other words - I so want this game. A victory - a resounding victory is all I ask.

Heh.

Of our three division rivals I think the Giants' fans are the most tolerable. They aren't bandwagoners like Dallas fans. They aren't proud of the fact that they are complete jerks like Philly fans.

However, New York isn't a football town. They have five gabillion teams up in NY and (with the possible exception of the Yankees) most New York fans only seem to have a passing knowledge of any one of them. The Giants are usually like third or fourth on any given NY fan's list of favorite sports teams. As such Giant fans are generally very adept at repeating superficial rhetoric that they've heard on ESPN about their team and their rivals, but only a select few of them seem capable of much more. This can make it frustrating to lose to the Giants, but just remember,a fan's team winning doesn't automatically make him any smarter. :)

I keep thinking about Tom Coughlin being on the hot seat a few years back with a team that seemed to be on the decline. Well, he went out and won the Super Bowl that year. I keep hearing about how the Giants are on the downward swing and I remember the same words back then.

I am not saying that because they were seemingly on a downward swing and they won the Super Bowl they will win this game, but it makes me cautious to discount the Giants under a tough, disciplined Tom Coughlin as head coach.

They are filled with injuries, their secondary is decimated, their defensive line is missing Osi and Tuck is hurting, but I refuse to discount them.

I would love to see the Redskins go out and put a nice whoopin' on them. I just don't think we are there yet.

I still see them handing it to us by at least 10 points.

Great post, El. I remember 2005 - year 2 of Gibbs, the Redskins were 4-2 and riding high from a blowout win over the 49ers, and had to play the Giants. Giants were having all sorts of injury problems that year in the secondary, and I convinced myself the Redskins offense was going to move the ball at will and blow the Giants out.

Then, the Redskins were absolutely waxed 0-36. Yeah, that game was in NY and this one is in DC, but it sort of feels the same. Not saying we will be blown out again, but I think we'll be brought back down to earth about our team this week.

I really hope I'm wrong!

wasnt that the year that their owner died?

this ISNT that team...I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Exactamundo. Great memory and recall on that for BigMike.

This team is far better and more balanced than the 2005 team. No blowouts against the Redskins at all in 2011.

It was the very game after Mara died, as a matter of fact. That was their "win one for the gipper" moment.

Nick

I have lots of faith....in the 2012 Redskins. This is a process, and will take time.

This team is far better and more balanced than the 2005 team. No blowouts against the Redskins at all in 2011.

Again, not predicting a blowout; just a anecdote about expecting a W against the Giants and being disappointed. Its happened quite a bit the past few years. :)

It was the very game after Mara died, as a matter of fact. That was their "win one for the gipper" moment.

That does not exist. Example: The Redskins lost to the Bills the game after ST died (in the most excruciatingly painful way possible, no less).

EDIT: Things like this only exist to serve as rationales as to why teams lose games.

Geez, Mike. Take it easy. :)

No one's bailing on the season or the rebirth of the Redskins. What I'm seeing is several of our fellow fans not yet ready to "predict" that the Week One, Year Two Redskins are ready to beat a Giants team that has flat owned them for years.

Not a particularly difficult hesitation to understand.

That said ... I repeat:

Redskins 23
Giants 20

It's a new day.

Actually, while 2005 is a good example, the year the year I would look at is 2007.

It's week three. That year, the Giants started 0-2, giving up 45 to the Cowboys and then 35 to the Packers. Everyone was talking about how they were in complete disarray, and how Coughlin had lost the team and how Dopey was no franchise QB. They come into DC and we jump on them and go up 17-3 at the half. Three games in, we have the Giants on the ropes. Their season literally hangs in the balance.

I don't even have the fortitude to repeat what happened after that. I'm guessing most of you remember.

The point is, the Giants are always in disarray and Coughlin is always losing the team. But on the field, it doesn't happen. In seven seasons under Coughlin, the Giants have only had one losing season: his first. He knows how to get that team to rally. He's proven it.

We've proven nothing. I think it would be awesome if that started to change on Sunday. Here's hoping.

Wasn't trying to compare tragedies, only the teams' respective performances afterwards.

Henry, good call on 2007 - another good example. The good thing about both of those years is that the Skins made the playoffs!

Lombardi thinks we win... the division. I **** you not.

Why I like the Redskins to win the NFC East
Most people are laughing at my pick of the Redskins to win the NFC East. But I gave it great thought, did my research and did not simply just throw it out for effect, or to be called an idiot by my Twitter followers. Here are my reasons for thinking the 'Skins can go from worst to first in the East:

» The Redskins play the 29th easiest schedule in the league, facing only five playoff teams from 2010. Washington plays the entire NFC West, as well as Buffalo and Carolina.

» Washington actually played better on the road last year, winning four games versus just two at home. They will play better at home this year. They won in Philadelphia and Chicago last year and beat the Packers at home.

» The 'Skins lost six games by four points or less last year, and were horrendous on defense, finishing 31st in yards allowed. This year they have talent that suits their 3-4 scheme and are not trying to shoe-horn 4-3 personnel into a 3-4.

» Running back Tim Hightower and an improved offensive line will make the run game much better. Tight end Fred Davis is blocking well and Anthony Armstrong is emerging as a big-play receiver.

» Mike Shanahan wants to prove he is still a big-time coach and knows another 6-10 season won't make many happy in D.C. Shanahan was hired to restore the 'Skins to their glory days, the sooner the better. I think Shanny will have a better year this year as well.

I know, I know: Rex Grossman is playing quarterback and everything stated above is meaningless if Grossman turns the ball over. I know he has never had a quarterback rating higher than 78. I know the only year he started, he threw 23 touchdowns and 20 interceptions. I know there are risks with this pick, but I am going to believe that Shanahan can get more good Rex than bad Rex. We shall see.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...tans-will-win-divisions-15-thoughts-on-week-1

Lombardi thinks we win... the division. I **** you not.
Wow. A thinking member of the media.

I saw a video prediction/overview of the 2011 NFC East recently (was it PFT? I wish I could recall) where the prognosticator basically said (as he chuckled) that he didn't understand Mike Shanahan's moves in the offseason and believed the 'Skins would finish dead last. The impression I got was that he didn't put in the time and effort to find out what was really going on in Ashburn and since the 'Skins haven't done much recently he figured they'd have another lame season. Also, he didn't even mention the Giants and what he thought they'd do this year.

And I'm not saying Lombardi is smart because he's picking the 'Skins to do well, I'm just saying that he at least gave reasons why he believes what he believes. That's good prognostication.

If you go into a game expecting defeat chances are you already have lost.
On the other hand, if you go in pretty sure you're gonna lose, you will feel so much better if we pull out the win. When you expect the worst, the win is so much sweeter when it happens.

One thing I have learned from being a lifelong Skins fan - don't set yourself up for disappointment and you'll be ok.

I used to get that gut feeling every week, every season. The last two decades, and most notably the last few seasons, have erased all the faith I had in this team. Hope is a different story altogether. I still take every loss hard, and still hope and wish they could turn it around, but I don't expect it anymore. My confidence is gone, and it's because of them.

The team has to prove themselves to rebuild the faith and confidence of the fans. Every one of us still has a minor heart attack every time we have the lead late in the game, or we line up for a kick. Until that feeling goes away, nothing has changed.

Wow. A thinking member of the media.

I saw a video prediction/overview of the 2011 NFC East recently (was it PFT? I wish I could recall) where the prognosticator basically said (as he chuckled) that he didn't understand Mike Shanahan's moves in the offseason and believed the 'Skins would finish dead last. The impression I got was that he didn't put in the time and effort to find out what was really going on in Ashburn and since the 'Skins haven't done much recently he figured they'd have another lame season. Also, he didn't even mention the Giants and what he thought they'd do this year.

And I'm not saying Lombardi is smart because he's picking the 'Skins to do well, I'm just saying that he at least gave reasons why he believes what he believes. That's good prognostication.

There has been a lot of so-called experts talking about the same ole' Redskins going into this season. Idiots! And people pay them for their efforts? Unbelievable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.