• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

RB Thread

Still a little early to pass judgement on the young guys. I was surprised to see Royster in the game first last week. Thought it would be Helu. Maybe this week.

Anywho, lots can happen between now and the final cut down.

I'll keep my powder dry for at least another week.

And to The Squire, welcome home.

I'd like to see Helu and Royster put in more pass blocking situations this week, to see what they can do. Keep them in on third downs for blitz pickup, and then have them release if nothing comes. IIRC, pass blocking wasn't a strength of Torain. Not that he was bad, just wasn't great. If the young guys can pick that up quickly, it would give them a major edge.

Course, having said that, when's the last time a rookie picked up pass blocking quickly?

I guess I'm not sure what you guys see in Royster that makes you so confident that he'll beat out Torain. Sure, he got a little over 4-yards a carry against the Steelers backups, but he showed no burst once he got past the 3-5 yard level. I'm not even sure he's as good as Rock Cartwright; even Rock had some speed.

I've been watching him for years at PSU. He's a good one. Very versatile...smooth gliding style that is deceptive....good pass catcher/yac. I don't think he's competing with Torain. Torain is competing with Hightower and his history of being unreliable (from a physical pov).

I'd like to see Helu and Royster put in more pass blocking situations this week, to see what they can do. Keep them in on third downs for blitz pickup, and then have them release if nothing comes. IIRC, pass blocking wasn't a strength of Torain. Not that he was bad, just wasn't great. If the young guys can pick that up quickly, it would give them a major edge.

Course, having said that, when's the last time a rookie picked up pass blocking quickly?

exactly. I see Royster on the PS.....and moving up next season.

I think Shanahan, seeing what happened last year with Kelly and Torain, is going to be focusing more in 2011 on durability.

If Royster stays healthy and grades out well in camp and the preseason games, you might see him being kept and Torain leaving town.

Royster had a good enough career at Penn State and looked solid against the Steelers, another team will likely pick him up to kick the tires.

I doubt you will be able to keep him on the practice squad once teams suffer some injury problems.

Would anyone like to wager a sig or avatar bet on Torain making the roster? Zippy chance he gets cut, IMO.

Well, the running game sure looked solid tonight. Hightower and Kelu definitely lock up the top two spots.

The Cards probably lost Ryan Williams for the year earlier tonight. The Lions have lost one RB for the season and Jahvid Best could be out for quite a while after an injury tonight.

So...

Would one of these teams be interested in Torain? A third round pick would be nice, but a 5th would be ok. Not saying this will happen, but with Hightower, Helu, Royster, Young, and Williams, the Redskins would not miss Torain if there was a trade partner out there.

It's pretty much why we let Portis go.
Portis was still great, when healthy. But hardly ever healthy.
However, I don't see it ending up the same as Portis.
He won't get cut - he'll get stashed on IR for the season, so we can give him another chance. I mean, my gosh, he hasn't had nearly the chances M-Kelly has gotten, so it's only fair.

I like BB's idea...

The Cards probably lost Ryan Williams for the year earlier tonight. The Lions have lost one RB for the season and Jahvid Best could be out for quite a while after an injury tonight.

So...

Would one of these teams be interested in Torain? A third round pick would be nice, but a 5th would be ok. Not saying this will happen, but with Hightower, Helu, Royster, Young, and Williams, the Redskins would not miss Torain if there was a trade partner out there.

Anything higher than a 6th is outstanding as far as I'm concerned. Other teams will know Torain is an injury risk, so it may be hard to get anything for him. I can see Allen shopping him a little, then stashing him on IR if he doesn't get any good offers.

Arizone will be leery, because Wells has been so fragile as well so far. They're gonna want someone a little more durable to pair with him. Betcha they're sorry they gave us Hightower now.

Was Royster out last night? I never did get confirmation on that during the chat? Disappointing not to see him at all, I was really hoping to see if he had a little more burst.

As Henry said, Helu is legit. He will push Hightower for the starting job maybe as early as next year. That is quite a find for Shanahan. He has elusiveness, never goes down on the first contact (thanks, HH :)), and a really nice burst. I noticed Hightower did well in pass protection last night, but Helu didn't stand out for me. Anyone else notice anything?

I'm liking what I see in Helu so far. He seems to have a very fluid motion an runs well in clusters. He always seemed to be side stepping a pile up and and getting a few extra yards. I can't think of anyone we've had like that since Joe Washington

I'd like to see what Helu can do catchIng passes out of the backfield. His footwork is fantastic though

Anyone else gettin' excited about Timmmaaahhhhh?

The starting job is his; the coach said as much Saturday. Tim Hightower, unwanted in Arizona, could blossom in Washington. Already this summer he has ripped off long runs, cut the way the coaches like and played with an edge that suggests a man-on-a-mission story.

Not that it matters to Hightower. He's here to do more than win a job in the preseason.

"I've done what I need to do," he said. "But I never look at it like it's enough."

Hightower was no longer needed in Arizona after the Cardinals drafted another running back, Ryan Williams, to pair with Beanie Wells. So Hightower wouldn't have received much opportunity. In Washington, that's all he's getting.

And the Episcopal graduate is getting it in a system that, thus far, appears suited to his strengths. Hightower is adept at skills needed in a stretch zone running game: pressing the hole, drawing defenders in and making decisive one-plant cuts.

"I didn't know what to expect," Hightower said. "You hear a lot about the offense, and you hear a lot about the system. But you don't know how well the player will work in the system. The biggest surprise is being able to see how well guys fit together. ... I've had some good opportunities and I get a lot of credit, but if you watch the film, it's those guys up front."

No doubt about that. Hightower's two long runs this preseason -- for 58 and 37 yards -- were a direct result of excellent blocking, both at the line and downfield. Guard Chris Chester completed the 58-yarder by getting the safety, and receiver Terrence Austin blocked a defensive back downfield to cap the other one.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/sports/nfl/2011/08/hightower-happy-be-zone#ixzz1WQWyrntP

Interesting read on Royster here, though not a lot of explanation as to why he isn't laying much.

It's a bit like slipping back into the middle of a good dream after waking and realizing that the alarm won't go off for another couple hours.

After being drafted in the sixth round by his hometown team, running back Evan Royster is soaking up every moment he's a member of the Redskins. But with the end of training camp looming, a wake-up call is coming. The rookie running back could find himself relegated to the practice squad or cut altogether by the end of the week.

"It's very cool because I live with one of my friends from high school," Royster said. "It's something that I'm thankful every day. I'll never forget it."

But the comfort that the 23-year-old Chantilly native enjoys, having those nearby pulling for him as much as the logo on his helmet, means nothing on the practice field in Ashburn.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/sport...utm_term=feed${distributionEndp#ixzz1WbN4AtyF

I wonder if maybe we don't see a lot of Torain Thusday to showcase him for a possible trade? While at the same time holding Royster back again to hide him some.

The more I think about the "hiding Royster" idea, the more it sounds implausible to me. There's nothing to hide! Everyone knows what he is - a tough, 3-4 YPC guy who is good between the tackles, but is never going to break the long run. Those guys are a dime a dozen, and it would not surprise me at all to see Royster end up on the PS or cut altogether, and still get significant PT this Thursday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.