• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

can't believe

The thing is though there is no other city like Washington in the NFL that has a history of being successful with unheralded quarterbacks and that dies hard with fans.

The Redskins haven't had a franchise quarterback since Sonny Jurgensen.

Joe Theismann was great for a 4 year run from 1982-1985. Schroeder had the 4,109 yard year in 1986. Williams had the final games and playoffs of 1987. Rypien had a nice 4 year run from 1989-1992.

The Redskins competed for Super Bowls with quarterbacks that were not HOF caliber performers, but they WERE players that put up pro bowl stats in specific seasons.

And that is why the feeling here is that a team that is strong enough in other places can bring a guy like Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer a title.

Rex may not be the future here at qb going forward a couple of years. He might not even be the qb for all of 2011 depending upon what he does week to week.

But folks here do have a history of watching maligned quarterbacks go on to have outstanding seasons as a system quarterback and surprising the prognosticators.

The thing is though there is no other city like Washington in the NFL that has a history of being successful with unheralded quarterbacks and that dies hard with fans.

The Redskins haven't had a franchise quarterback since Sonny Jurgensen.

Joe Theismann was great for a 4 year run from 1982-1985. Schroeder had the 4,109 yard year in 1986. Williams had the final games and playoffs of 1987. Rypien had a nice 4 year run from 1989-1992.

The Redskins competed for Super Bowls with quarterbacks that were not HOF caliber performers, but they WERE players that put up pro bowl stats in specific seasons.

And that is why the feeling here is that a team that is strong enough in other places can bring a guy like Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer a title.

Rex may not be the future here at qb going forward a couple of years. He might not even be the qb for all of 2011 depending upon what he does week to week.

But folks here do have a history of watching maligned quarterbacks go on to have outstanding seasons as a system quarterback and surprising the prognosticators.

what's past is not always prologue.

very different NFL these days.

you know...williams, rypien, t-man....heck humphries....there was a certain aesthetic to how they played...they could move the ball around. sorry...I just find RG unappealing from an aesthetic pov. I'm sure he'll have some good games and some head scratchers this year. I just want a real, long-term QB. Until then.....I'll keep my focus on other areas of the team and pretend Rex is just a caretaker.

btw.....shifting gears...does anyone else get irritated when these receivers pop up from making a simple reception and do their "look at me" routines? I find it unprofessional. toss the ball back to the ref and head back to the huddle guys..where the rest of your team is waiting for you.

Yeah, sometimes. If they get a big first down or survive a spectacular hit I don't mind it, but not every catch or every first down reception deserves a show. Act like you've been there before.

will that even work against assomoi, cromarty and samuels?
The way to beat them is to have our WR's run fly patterns all game long, and let Cooley and Davis punk the LB's and safeties over, and over, and over again in the middle of the field. Plus, they ain't Superman. They'll give up TD's too.

**** an Eekle.
btw.....shifting gears...does anyone else get irritated when these receivers pop up from making a simple reception and do their "look at me" routines? I find it unprofessional. toss the ball back to the ref and head back to the huddle guys..where the rest of your team is waiting for you.
I bet I said it ten times the other night, "It's preseason dummy, go back to the ****ing huddle!"

Yeah, sometimes. If they get a big first down or survive a spectacular hit I don't mind it, but not every catch or every first down reception deserves a show. Act like you've been there before.

AQ couple of years ago they were playing the Giants and tackled the RB after 12 yards the defender got up and did his dance like he sacked a qb or something

I finally watched the game on Saturday, and here are some of my thoughts:

Grossman looked confident, and made some very nice throws. However, its of some concern that a lot of his throws came off his back foot. He happened to get away with it in this game, but those are just INTs waiting to happen. Its right up there with throwing back across your body in the Cardinal Sins of Quarterbacking. Two things Favre did a lot (and leads the NFL all-time in INTs). This is not really surprising, as we all know that Grossman is a turnover waiting to happen - however it was very encouraging that the OL kept his jersey clean all game.

The OL - the Steelers ran a vanilla defense (obvs), so its really hard to tell how the OL would have done against them in a regular season game, but they faced what was in front of them very well. Can't ask for much more than that. As we expected, the new additions on the OL are all very adept at the ZBS, and consequently there were a lot of holes. Hightower & Royster looked very good, Helu was pretty mundane outside of the one 18-yard carry. If Hightower can hold on to the ball better (maybe the Skins can hire Tiki as a fumble coach?) he might put up some serious numbers in this system.

WRs: My boy Hank had some bad drops, but he's still learning. Stallworth looked like a guy with a huge chip on his shoulder, looking to prove something. Gaffney was as expected - unspectacular with very good hands, and Moss was Moss. Once Hank starts running better routes, the hands will come. And Stallworth better play out of his mind every snap, if he's going to beat out Austin & Paul.

Defensive Line - well looky here, the Redskins may just have found a nosetackle! Cofield looked great, and kept Rocky & London blocker-free for most of the first half. He also collapsed the pocket several times, and looked downright Ratliffe-esque out there. I think a lot of his success can be attributed to the beast playing next to him - Bowen might be the signing of the year. What a steal! No wonder the Cowboys were pissed when we signed him! My latest Redskins man crush is 1) enormous, 2) quick, 3) strong. Great combo. Jarvis looked good also, but needs to stay lower - got high too frequently and was consequently pushed around a bit. Low man wins!

DBs: Man, if Landry & Otogwe out for any extended period of time, we could be in serious trouble. Horton, yeesh. Doughty is Doughty - a very scrappy, hard-working athlete with clear limitations. Gomes looks promising, but it was only one game against scrubs. Would like to see Haslett give him some reps with the 1s against the Colts. While its nice that we beat the Steelers, we all know it should have been a 21-16 final score - Brown & Wallace were WIDE open. That is disconcerting, and flashes of last season.

EDIT: The biggest concern for me was that yet again, the offense stalled in the redzone. Gotta get 6s there, not 3s (or badly botched 3s).

I'm not sure this team is ready to turn the corner just yet, but I am more optimistic than I was before. I think they will finish somewhere in the 7-9 to 9-7 range (and unfortunately well out of the Luck sweepstakes).

I finally watched the game on Saturday, and here are some of my thoughts:

Grossman looked confident, and made some very nice throws. However, its of some concern that a lot of his throws came off his back foot. He happened to get away with it in this game, but those are just INTs waiting to happen. Its right up there with throwing back across your body in the Cardinal Sins of Quarterbacking. Two things Favre did a lot (and leads the NFL all-time in INTs). This is not really surprising, as we all know that Grossman is a turnover waiting to happen - however it was very encouraging that the OL kept his jersey clean all game.

The OL - the Steelers ran a vanilla defense (obvs), so its really hard to tell how the OL would have done against them in a regular season game, but they faced what was in front of them very well. Can't ask for much more than that. As we expected, the new additions on the OL are all very adept at the ZBS, and consequently there were a lot of holes. Hightower & Royster looked very good, Helu was pretty mundane outside of the one 18-yard carry. If Hightower can hold on to the ball better (maybe the Skins can hire Tiki as a fumble coach?) he might put up some serious numbers in this system.

WRs: My boy Hank had some bad drops, but he's still learning. Stallworth looked like a guy with a huge chip on his shoulder, looking to prove something. Gaffney was as expected - unspectacular with very good hands, and Moss was Moss. Once Hank starts running better routes, the hands will come. And Stallworth better play out of his mind every snap, if he's going to beat out Austin & Paul.

Defensive Line - well looky here, the Redskins may just have found a nosetackle! Cofield looked great, and kept Rocky & London blocker-free for most of the first half. He also collapsed the pocket several times, and looked downright Ratliffe-esque out there. I think a lot of his success can be attributed to the beast playing next to him - Bowen might be the signing of the year. What a steal! No wonder the Cowboys were pissed when we signed him! My latest Redskins man crush is 1) enormous, 2) quick, 3) strong. Great combo. Jarvis looked good also, but needs to stay lower - got high too frequently and was consequently pushed around a bit. Low man wins!

DBs: Man, if Landry & Otogwe out for any extended period of time, we could be in serious trouble. Horton, yeesh. Doughty is Doughty - a very scrappy, hard-working athlete with clear limitations. Gomes looks promising, but it was only one game against scrubs. Would like to see Haslett give him some reps with the 1s against the Colts. While its nice that we beat the Steelers, we all know it should have been a 21-16 final score - Brown & Wallace were WIDE open. That is disconcerting, and flashes of last season.

EDIT: The biggest concern for me was that yet again, the offense stalled in the redzone. Gotta get 6s there, not 3s (or badly botched 3s).

I'm not sure this team is ready to turn the corner just yet, but I am more optimistic than I was before. I think they will finish somewhere in the 7-9 to 9-7 range (and unfortunately well out of the Luck sweepstakes).

nice write-up!

returning to a theme sure to label me as obsessed...I still have my doubts about RG. Specifically, as I began to think about how I would go after him were I a DC, I had some thoughts similar to what you posted. we'll see in a gme in which the defense is used creatively to create real pressure. that has been one of my core concerns about RG...how he handles pressure.

nice write-up!

returning to a theme sure to label me as obsessed...I still have my doubts about RG. Specifically, as I began to think about how I would go after him were I a DC, I had some thoughts similar to what you posted. we'll see in a gme in which the defense is used creatively to create real pressure. that has been one of my core concerns about RG...how he handles pressure.

Thanks!

Rich Campbell also noted that he doesn't seem comfortable stepping up into the pocket, which leads to throws off his back foot. I'm going to hopefully watch the game again and get a little more detailed, but there was one play in particular where it seemed like Rex could have stepped up into the pocket and made a play but instead panicked, threw off his back foot for an ugly incompletion.

It could get really ugly playing the Eagles with their pass-rush/CB combination...

All doubts about Rex are entirely warranted. But if KShan can anticipate and manage the inevitable mistakes, we might be ok.

I don't think you can really look at anything other than individual play this week. Some good things, though - as folks have pointed out.

I was worried about how much Hightower [rip Bubba Smith] played the battering ram. Love the commitment, worried about injuries in pre-season.

Hankerson has had this problem for his entire collegiate carreer. It would be nice to see him get over it - but don't hold your breath. Thankfully the other receivers looked pretty cool, excluding returns. Keep them outta there.

And that brings me to special teams. For the love of Pete, can we please get rid of Danny Smith once and for all? Special teams success doesn't come from one or two flashy plays a game, it comes from steady exploitation of field position. Don't get me wrong - I get excited when I see a great return, too. But his teams have been consistently a thorn in our side. I know you're not supposed to blame drops on the coach - but preparedness is part of this.

Two things about your assessment strike me. First, I asked the question when we were in chat during the game about the option of Hankerson ending up on the Practice squad. He was easily the worst receiver on the field for us Friday night. He didn't even seem to run the routes correctly on top of all the drops he had. He looked poor. I know it's only one game but he had numerous drops in the practice I saw him at as well. If you look at my images, check out his expressions. He just doesn't look into it, like something's missing.

Armstrong, Austin and Paul all looked better than he did, much better.

...While its nice that we beat the Steelers, we all know it should have been a 21-16 final score - Brown & Wallace were WIDE open. That is disconcerting, and flashes of last season.

Well, by your formula, it should have been 23-21 since Rex overthrew an open Stallworth in the end zone by just an arm's length.

But I will say you're right about getting in to the end zone and not merely setting for FG's if we even make them!

That's a huge swing. You like what you saw over all I take it since you had us at 4 wins tops a week ago.

Two things about your assessment strike me. First, I asked the question when we were in chat during the game about the option of Hankerson ending up on the Practice squad. He was easily the worst receiver on the field for us Friday night. He didn't even seem to run the routes correctly on top of all the drops he had. He looked poor. I know it's only one game but he had numerous drops in the practice I saw him at as well. If you look at my images, check out his expressions. He just doesn't look into it, like something's missing.

Armstrong, Austin and Paul all looked better than he did, much better.

I doubt it - he wouldn't last on the practice squad very long. If they aren't sold on him by the end of the preseason, they'll probably trade him.

Well, by your formula, it should have been 23-21 since Rex overthrew an open Stallworth in the end zone by just an arm's length.

Sure. :)

That's a huge swing. You like what you saw over all I take it since you had us at 4 wins tops a week ago.

Wrong! Here is my direct quote from that thread:

Lanky Livingston said:
Actually, I'm going to change my prediction to 4-12.

I see us beating Arizona, splitting with Dallas, and beating the 49ers. However, they could easily take Carolina, Buffalo or Seattle, so I think they'll win at least one of those games.

That was a max of 6-10. :)

I doubt it - he wouldn't last on the practice squad very long. If they aren't sold on him by the end of the preseason, they'll probably trade him.

I wonder if he could end getting stashed in some way like Kelly did.

Edit: I say that because if he doesn't step up his game, he is in jeopardy of the axe even if he is a 3rd rounder. And you convinced me since the draft we got a steal here so I m rooting for the guy.

I wonder if he could end getting stashed in some way like Kelly did.

Edit: I say that because if he doesn't step up his game, he is in jeopardy of the axe even if he is a 3rd rounder. And you convinced me since the draft we got a steal here so I m rooting for the guy.

I still think we got a steal. He had these issues in Miami, but still ended up with 72 catches for 1156 yards and 13 TDs in his final season at Miami. There is no way we cut him - he'll make the final roster one way or another. If they held on to Kelly for this long, for sure they'll hang on to Hank.

john_keimJohn Keim
To calm the masses: hankerson had a good day catching the ball. #redskins

Another interesting observation:

Redskins Ball Control: In 2010, the Skins offense ranked 27th in the league in # of drives in excess of 5 minutes w/ 15 all season. In Friday's preseason opener, the Skins had 3 in route to dominating time of possession 39:25 to 20:35.

via @SalaryCap101

Hey - don't get me wrong. I luv me my 'Canes. And Hankerson's talent is considerable. Here's hopin' he gets it together. He is just a kid, afterall...

And that brings me to special teams. For the love of Pete, can we please get rid of Danny Smith once and for all? Special teams success doesn't come from one or two flashy plays a game, it comes from steady exploitation of field position. Don't get me wrong - I get excited when I see a great return, too. But his teams have been consistently a thorn in our side. I know you're not supposed to blame drops on the coach - but preparedness is part of this.

Right there with you. Danny Smith has more lives than a cat, something I don't really understand. Seems like a nice, fiery kind of guy, but not a huge fan of his special teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.