• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

NFL.com: Redskins prepared to make run on big free agents after lockout

I was nervous about K Jenkins anyway. There was no way he played 16 games.

When Free Agency opens, none of us are going to be able to keep up!

I was nervous about K Jenkins anyway. There was no way he played 16 games.

I think they would have set up his contract so he would be easy to cut. Maybe a one or two year deal that allowed him to show the rookie's how to handle themeselves.

I think he would have been brought here for his knowledge and not a solution.

But, this bothers me because I do not want to see Franklin get a big contract from us.

I don't love the idea of spending the money on Franklin either. We will have to pay him very well plus he is 30 years old. However, if we don't sign Franklin, who is our NT for 2011? Even the most optimistic people about Chris Neild don't think he will be ready this year. That only leaves Bryant. He's a good backup but not a starter.

I hate the idea of throwing money at a guy who was never dominant and is 30 years old, he flashed a few times, looked solid the past couple seasons, butknowing us, we will pay him dmvp money and get a serviceable rotation player., better for us to shore up the Oline, build up the team and take our lumps, and continue to build through the draft AND NOT KEEP DRAFTING 4-3 PLAYERS.

Neild may not be ready this year or next or the one after that. However, I do not feel you need to break the bank on a player that is 30 years old and seems to be a guy that as soon as he gets paid will stop working. He is going to get a healthy contract because of supply and demand.

I would let Neild, Bryant (who played better at the end), Haynesworth (only gone if traded), and some other veteran NT battle it out in pre-season. If Haynesworth is not traded, he will rotate between NT and DE.

We could also go after an older vet type such as Ron Edwards, Pat Williams, Jamal Williams, or Chris Hoke. No need to bring in Franklin when hopefully all we need is a one - two year sub.

It sounds like most of us want Shanahan and Allen to spend money on level B talent so we can get more quality starters instead of superstars.

Any superstars worth an exception?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

It sounds like most of us want Shanahan and Allen to spend money on level B talent so we can get more quality starters instead of superstars.

Any superstars worth an exception?

I still maintain the Namndi is worth the money. Not only does it give us one of the best CB's in the league, it keeps him off the roster of the Eagles or the Cowturds.

Peyton Manning? :movefast:

I think Neild is a bust and that pick was a stretch of epic proportions. I hope I'm proven wrong. I just don't see him having the tangibles to make it in the NFL as any kind of an impact player or starter.

I think Neild is a bust and that pick was a stretch of epic proportions. I hope I'm proven wrong. I just don't see him having the tangibles to make it in the NFL as any kind of an impact player or starter.

You can safely make this statement about 90% of 7th round picks, except taken that late I don't think they qualify as "busts." They're 7th rounders! They're not supposed to start right away, or even in a year or two.

That's a fair point - except you don't make draft selections in a vacuum. At a position of need, I'm not sure I sign-off on drafting a guy who's, at best, a wing and a prayer to even make it in the NFL, much less fill a position of critical need. In other words, I'm not arguing that Neild was a terrible pick in the seventh. I'm simply saying his drafting is hardly an argument not to seek a capable vet at that spot in free agency if one's available.

Make sense?

That's a fair point - except you don't make draft selections in a vacuum. At a position of need, I'm not sure I sign-off on drafting a guy who's, at best, a wing and a prayer to even make it in the NFL, much less fill a position of critical need. In other words, I'm not arguing that Neild was a terrible pick in the seventh. I'm simply saying his drafting is hardly an argument not to seek a capable vet at that spot in free agency if one's available.

Make sense?

Yeah, I don't think it is either. In fact, if anything I think its an argument FOR finding a capable FA to spill the spot until he's ready (if he ever will be).

We do not know if Neild will fill the spot in the future, but for now a good question would be, 'who is the capable vet that could fill that hole?' There are many questions surrounding Franklin's will to play and there is a serious lack of FA NTs. I think you need to look at the guys that I mentioned earlier and keep searching for that permanent player.

I've said it before, NT is one of the hardest positions to fill.

That's true. No such thing as a bust in the 7th round.

I like Neild but I don't know if he'll ever be a starter or not. I still think Nose is an important part of Shanahan's plan this year. Franklin could be his answer.

I say O-line will be cheap. I think several players are signed but no big names.

there are busts in the 7th round, when you place expectations on a guy that he will come in and contribute in a key position, if he doesnt, he is a bust. I am with Boone on this, I would love for Neild to prove me wrong but there is a reason in a league where 50% of the teams run a 3-4 that he still went in the 7th.

there are busts in the 7th round, when you place expectations on a guy that he will come in and contribute in a key position, if he doesnt, he is a bust.

Give me one example of a 7th rounder who was expected to "come in and contribute in a key position." You won't find one, because no 7th rounder is expected to contribute in a key position. :)

umm have you been reading about Neild? we went into this offseason with a few glaring holes, the biggest arguably at NT, which we addressed in the seventh round. If we dont sign a guy capable of starting at NT and being more than a rotation guy it means we epxect Neild to come in and contribute at a key position. I am not certain he has the physical ability to do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.